Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

would an SSD speed up the interface of the Zgemma H7 box?

I understand how SSD improve a PC but is there much stored on the hard disk like the guide/epg or other bits that would make it faster or is everything for the interface saved on the built in storage? has anyone switched out a 5400 rpm hard disk for a SSD and found any improvement?

I like the two boxes I have but find the interface a bit slow to respond, I have 500gb disks in them but could put a 500GB SSD, (I don't use live recording/rewind so not worried about wear on the SSD)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Normally you would have the EPG data and Picons stored on the HDD so an SSD should improve things. Given how cheap an SSD is these days it is very hard to see any reason to use spinning rust for anything other than long-term storage. For many years now I've used 120Gb SSDs without issue. Anything I intend keeping is stored on my NAS instead so 120Gb is enough for me. If memory serves they cost less than €25 when purchased. Probably even cheaper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭andy1249

There are 1tb SSD's available now on amazon.de for between 40-60 euro depending on how fussy you are about manufacturers.

The newer Zgemma only takes SSD's in its rear slot anyways so you have no choice.

If you order one and get a model that has to have the lid removed to install a drive , then that box is already at least 3 years old ! So watch out for that.

SSD will not noticeably improve the performance , loading and reading EPG data happens by default at 3:30 am , it defaults to this time on the assumption that you'll be in bed so your viewing wont be interrupted. The box is never truly off , it is left in standby all the time , this has to be the case or you get no new EPG data at all and the box is useless without that.

Recording and playback of live TV will not use the faster read and write times of an SSD.

You only really see the benefits of an SSD on general computing devices like PCs or MACs on bootup and on large, quick turnaround, data transfers , like gaming for example.

The Zgemma is what is being called these days " chi fi " , a term used for cheap chinese boxes that claim great specifications but in reality cant do half of them and are very cheaply built.

Ignore half the claims on the box , its useless for IPTV , it cannot run Kodi , etc. etc. etc.

For watching or recording TV they will work as well as any other box in terms of picture quality and sound etc until the cheap parts give out , but you get what you pay for.

Buy cheap , buy twice , or in my case 3 times , more fool me.

6.4 is the current version of openVix available here https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/zgemma-images/zgemma-h7/

It's been a while since I used ATV but from memory there's not a huge difference between it and Vix. You can, of course, install both images and check for yourself to see which suits your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

If you go with vix, I recommend using Willo build on top. It sets everything up perfect skins etc.

TO INSTALL COPY THIS CODE AND RIGHT CLICK IN PUTTY TO PASTE AND THEN PRESS ENTER.

Code:

wget --no-check-certificate -O install_vix.sh http://www.willobuild.net/files/scripts/install_vix.sh && bash install_vix.sh

1) FLASH USING PUTTY

2) RESTORE SETTINGS DURING WIZARD

• Advertisement

Openvix is installed from a usb.

You need putty for Willo build. Putty is an app, find your boxes ip address. Login as root and the password is likely not setup so leave it blank. Then just copy and paste the line of code above into putty. Follow the on screen prompt it should install.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have a Tiviar Alpha+ they is running on open at 6.1. it's just used as sat and terrestrial reciever.

If I was to update the image do I loose all the settings (channel lists) etc. what is the benefit of updating the image ?

it's working fine. Maybe it's best to just leave it alone.

Just like a PC you can back up your settings which of course I'm sure you do on a regular basis. This only takes a few seconds and can save you hours of swearing. It will store your channel lists, timers, autotimers, network settings etc.

The 6.1 is getting a bit old by now. Updating helps protect against web addresses changing for some plugins and security updates etc.

Yes openvix first then use putty for Willo build.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Tiviar is not supported by Openvix now like many old boxes.

OpenAtv still supports it.

Wow i was wrong as is still supported .

Post edited by greasepalm on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have not been backing up. Would I just back channel lists to a USB stick?

I guess I could do more with this box than watch sat/terrestrial tv but I don't know to much about it. The box was a present.

Channel list might be too old and some might have been removed and new ones added.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

And you are posting in the Zgemma H7s thread ie off topic. There is a separate thread for the Tiviar. I’m surprised you are getting replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Do you need SSD cables separately, if so could you point me in the direction pls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I would just chime in and say that this doesn't mirror my experience at all.

I've been running my H7S daily for 3.5 years now and it's never missed a beat. I've also installed 4 more at family member's houses, and to the best of my knowledge, not one has failed. Maybe we're just lucky? Or maybe you're unlucky - genuinely don't know.

I'm curious as to your statement that the box "claim great specifications but in reality cant do half of them". You've mentioned IPTV - I've only ever used free and legal IPTV streams with the box, and it always worked great. Never missed a beat. It has a CPU which can easily handle 4k/multiple streams, and a gigabit network controller - IPTV should be no problem for this box, and that has been my own experience.

As for Kodi - the engima2 implementation of it is mediocre. Even the VU boxes aren't great. If Kodi is what you're after, get a dedicated media streamer and you're going to have a better time.

Gabbo have you bought the box yet? The best place is amazon de and on this link if you click on pics you will see slot in rear for SSD.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/ZGEMMA-H7S-DVB-S2X-satellite-receiver-black/dp/B078ST6NV9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=160NGUASOD0DS&keywords=zgemma+h7s&qid=1704367454&sprefix=%2Caps%2C68&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.d85e497d-ab66-4790-acf8-e520aaf28cd3

Its a push in system, ie just line up the ssd and push firmly and that's it. Just to note, if you were to get an older box and took lid off its the same principle, you would see where SSD fits and the connections. No cables required all included. Some places will sell with SSD included.

These boxes are complex and if not set up correctly will give problems. They will arrive with a factory image that's useless. If you are going to buy local check out places like satworld and ask them if box has rear slot. Look on adverts for boxes already configured.

And YES an SSD will make these boxes fly, best way to compare is an electric car v manual, electric instant response, manual lag, same for SSD = instant.

There is a lot of misinformation posted above so ignore it. Box is highly configurable if you know what you are doing, for example EPG can be set to update at any time.

The best IMAGE for this box is Openvix, why, because it is easy peasy to configure and it comes preloaded with all the bits you need. And it has a dedicated website for support, its geared towards 28 east. In all the years box has been out I have seen one fail and that was because the end user did not store epg correctly.

You push it into the slot on the back of the box , no cables necessary

Andy did you read my post?

Regarding kodi , the point is the box claims to be capable , it isnt , a flat out lie , the norm with chinese products like this.

• Advertisement

I have never got Kodi to run on any box and as mentioned use android.

The flakiness with Kodi stems from it's enigma2 implementation (in my experience). It's the same on most boxes, even the high-end ones.

My point is that this is not a fault of this specific box. In all likelihood you won't have any better of a time with Kodi on a more expensive box.

I flat out wouldn't recommend any enigma2 box for Kodi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

My H7 has been flashing the green update icon for ages now, last time I tried to update it told me an update wasn't possible to apply unless a system upgrade was done first. Problem is, I find the upgrade flow really confusing, I start it off fine but then mid way through it tells me there's a backup found and do I want to restore from that. I select no, because presumably such a backup was made using the old system and wouldn't be applicable to whatever new version was being installed. Then it tells me all my settings, bouquets will be wiped if I don't use the back up so I bail and have just left the green icon flashing for the last few months.

Can anyone let me know how to get this system to properly get to the latest version without wiping all my settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Totally back to basics now..is this the box that allows recording of both saorview and satellite/free to air ie 3 simultaneous recordings in total? Want to make sure before actually buy it.

https://freesat.ie/products/zgemma-h7s

The backup is your settings, bouquets, timers, autotimers, network etc. It will also ask if you want to re-install any plugins you had specifically installed. These would be the latest versions if available. You can say no to the plugins if you wish and just restore your settings.

If you're worried about messing things up, download the latest version of whatever it is you're running (ATV, Vix etc.) and install it to a new slot. Backups are saved on the hard disk, so you will be still be able to restore your backup and make sure everything works as it should. Your current install will be preserved in case you want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

I'm currently running OpenATV, but keen to swap over to OpenVix as I like the simplicity of the Ten Eighty skin.

Will I lose my recordings in doing so - no big deal if I do, but would like to preserve them if I possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Got mine thus morning. Hooked it up, went in to automatic scan, seemed fine. Now it only displays the time on the lcd but no picture

When I power on it goes

Boot

Then a sequence of numbers

Then back to the time

But nothing on screen?

• Advertisement

That front display behavior seems normal.

Are you sure there is nothing on the screen - have you tried pressing the arrow buttons/menu/guide etc.? Do you see any splash screen/boot animation on the TV when the box is booting up from completely off?

Advertisement