Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Is it Q4 of 2023 that saw so little demand that it reversed the previous two records for EV sales in the US set in Q2 and Q3 of 2023? The story of drop in demand whilst sales numbers are still increasing is one of the weirder tropes to come out of 2023. I'd love to see your industry insight to be making such a bold claim

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-insights/q3-2023-ev-sales/

EVs are not some kinds of unique product where selling more is caused by reduced demand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You’ve come into an EV forum posting comment on why EV’s don’t work and it has been proved that they can work for the scenarios presented, only for the goal posts to be moved again.

An EV doesn’t work for you that’s fine. Stick with ICE. Can you imagine the uproar of an EV owner went into the main motors forum and started posting constantly about why an ICE is the wrong car. It’s laughable to be honest

Nobody cares what your method of fuel is. You buy what suits you. But you consistently come in posting why an EV doesn’t work in circumstances when others have the opposite experience of it working. You’ll get the usual thanks from the same 5 users (they know who they are). If gets tired to be honest.

ICE works for you. Fine. Youre emotive about your Camry. Thats also fine. Some people are slow to change. Thats fine. You’re not gona change the minds of anyone here in the EV forum that EV’s are not for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sweet divine. Your sharp wit has me beat. I admit defeat, you win. Fair play. Let’s now move on.

Attack the poster when you run out of “facts”?

I agree. I assume if I went onto a religion forum and gave logical reasons why there is no deity the feedback would be the same.

i assumed with this was a thread about the market, market forces rather than religious fervour would be discussed.

It’s clearly also a Hybrid forum by the way!

And no one feels strongly about a Camry.

• Advertisement

No, just when someone is refusing to believe the NYT saying Ford are scaling back ev production due to demand issues we are going nowhere and it’s easier to let that person believe they are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Electric F150 are not the barometer of demand. Model Y was the best selling car in the world this year. Not best selling EV and not best selling car in EU or something. Best selling in the world. No car sold more than the model Y. Even more than the US favorite Camry and Corolla too I might add.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ford aren't the only producer in the market, if your claims are that Ford are seeing reduced demand for their products then that should be easy to show numbers for. Your actual claim was that EVs are seeing reduced demand in the US, even though Cox Automotive numbers show that Q2, and then Q3 were record setting quarters for EV sales.

Sales do not increase in years where demand is decreasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭sk8board

Only back here now - I was the OP about the rights or wrongs of asking/giving a charge at someone’s house - thanks for all the perspectives, I just still maintain it’s an early adopter mindset, and not a mass market one. Of course you’d all gladly let someone else use your charger, it’s the nature of early adopters of anything to help each other.

This whole thread is predicated on the fact that EVs are struggling to convince the mass market buyers to follow the early adopters, and ‘domestic destination charging’ is one such obstacle I think.

(that, or maybe I go to too many high society candlelight suppers and don’t want to be running a granny charger in the window of their gate lodge 😛😀)

Ford are scaling back because of demand for “their” product IMO.

Ford would be on the back foot in terms of EV production.

• Advertisement

Sorry, increasing at a lower than expected rate. It’s still a demand issue that’s the point.

Credit to Tesla mind you, but they do have a demand issue or else there would not have been price cuts.

It's not an obstacle. I just charge en route if I know theres no destination charging.

I'd never let someone use my charger btw, thats mine not public use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

You dont have to buy an EV and try it to know the network isn’t great - just read posts here and on Facebook etc or talk to other owners- however I’m not sure that the network is responsible for the high depreciation:

High depreciation is down to imo:

Cars originally costing too much - ie overpriced priced for early adopters. Cars priced well new hold their value well used (eg Ioniq 28)

Other issues impacting to lessor extent:

Concern (right or wrong) over the huge cost of battery or motor replacement on an out of warranty

Quality issues with many EV’s rushed to the market originally

Buyers expecting further price reductions on new cars

Dealers general disinterest in EV’s. Few dealers will accept EV’s made by other brands

Buyers not willing to buy expensive EV’s privately - but tonnes of private buyers trying to sell privately

Perception that charging network isn’t good enough

High cost to charge in public

I would buy a Tesla Model 3 (in white) or a new ID4 facelift and expect both of them to hold their value really well as they are both good value for money now. Megane or E-Tron will see big depreciation as they are still overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You haven't proved anything though.

If you turn up at the Q park and the charger is ICE'd, out of order, in use all day etc. then it's a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I can see in 2030 all the big car manufacturers putting pressure on the EU to push the 2035 deadline out. We have already seen VW saying they can't make a profit from EVs... I hope I'm wrong of course

Then you just top up at an HPC. Not ideal but still perfectly fine.

I agree completely- but again we’re back to the problem of almost all EVs available today needing to charge ‘somewhere’ for what is only 350km/3-3.5hrs of total driving, 90% easy motorway cruise at 120, and a nice long break in the middle. That’s early adopter stuff - there’s no way the mass market would swallow it.

let me put it this way - imagine all garages selling EVs were advertising the real world Irish winter ranges for city, rural and motorway - how would sales go? (Purely hypothetical of course, but e.g there’s a lot of 3-4yo cars in the 2nd hand market advertising their (brand new) wltp summer urban range, when clearly ‘battery science is a thing’.

that’s the juncture we’re at now. Early adopters have their cars, and all the mass market are hearing is that those cars aren’t getting close to their advertised ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@sk8board - "the fact that EVs are struggling to convince the mass market buyers to follow the early adopters"

Hasn't the market proven you wrong already last year? The Tesla Model Y was the best selling car in the world. The masses have switched from buying a combustion engine Toyota Corolla (for decades the best seller) to a full EV. We are somewhere at the start of early majority now

I predicted in 2022 that the Model Y would possibly or even likely be the best seller last year. To lots of ridicule on this forum alone...

Take the base model 3. 40k new and real world range of 300-350km winter to summer.

I don't think we will have many cars that don't need to charge after 350km of real world motorway driving. Most people don't drive those trips.If you did that every day, you are spending one full 24hr day per week driving. Simply not realistic apart from edge cases.

The cost to add more batteries to give the model 3 (or other cars) enough battery to do 600-700km of real world driving simply doesnt make sense. The best range currently available is the 500-600km of the Mercedes EQS (as well as Lucid and cadillac models not available here) and all 3 are well north of 3X the price of the model 3.

The model 3 can do 300km on the motorway, stop for 15-25 minutes and do another 200-275. I know, because I do it. In mine, very occasionally and in all weathers. I'd much prefer 1-5 stops per year with 60k plus not spent on a bigger battery!

I know and again I agree - but it’s like people who spend more for a 7-seater for those few times a year they actually use it.

again - the mass market wont accept inconvenience for those few trips a month or year.

EVs will get there, but I spoke to people at a NYE house party, with all the money in the world to buy whatever car they want, and their EV knowledge was still 3-4 years old, or based on feedback from someone who already had an EV.

curiously a few of them were literally aghast about that Weckler article about depreciation - that’s what started the whole conversation. Yes we’re that boring.

• Advertisement

This thread is about the mass market adoption of EVs in Ireland, not the sales to early adopters world wide.

toyota don’t seem to be doing too badly at the moment either, and seem happy that their early call on EVs struggling to go from early adopter to mass market (for the time being), was the right one.

indeed, production cuts for virtually every EV on the plant would seem to back that up.

People here have also predicted the ‘fall of the OEMs’ for about a decade here btw - I’m not being a d1ck, but let’s at least have an honest debate that EVs have gone from the hottest new thing, into a definite state of flux - which brings us back OT regarding EV depreciation of 2nd hand EVs and the fact that the mass market 2nd hand buyers very clearly don’t want to pay the piper, and a lot of early EV adopters are left holding a car which they love but has cost them far more than expected in total cost of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

again that comes back to my point about the general ignorance / lack of knowledge. People over estimate how far they travel, what range they need, how much space they need, how often they will need to publicly charge.

Ironically when people have the option of paying more for more range many elect not to (see tesla model 3 buyers!)

Absolutely - but what’s that phrase about “common sense not being common”.

we always forget that this is a motoring forum, representing the perhaps 2-5% of drivers who would considering themselves ‘car people’.

everyone else just wants a car to do what they require and couldn’t care less about what propels it

you crystallise a loss on something when you sell,

if EVs are depreciating more because prices have been cut your cost to change to a new one may not be any different, if you are hanging onto what you have then you arent losing anything.

but the car will do what they require if they stood back and thought about it 😁

whatever way you cut it, mathematics doesn’t really support any of that when it comes to true cost of ownership.

i disagree, you could be correct if our straw person is opting out of the car market at the end but if they are going into another car then i could well be correct.

I think it’s the other way around. As you said the loss is crystallised when the car is sold and the only thing that matters is the cost to change.

The cost to change an EV is currently far higher than the cost to charge a P/HEV. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@sk8board - "This thread is about the mass market adoption of EVs in Ireland, not the sales to early adopters world wide."

Indeed. Ireland is as always a bit behind. But not that far behind. It is a certainty we will catch up. But it might take a year or two.

• Advertisement

Assuming you mean the cost change a PHEV instead of charge it, PHEV's didn't see the low supply high demand price gouging so haven't suffered from the same drop in new prices.

It was nuts that people were buying new ID.3's in '20 and selling for them higher prices than they bought them in '22.

Advertisement