Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The thing is though housing is complex. Part of addressing the housing crisis means any solution has to address concerns around any solution that could potentially involve home owners being put into negative equity. Arguably anyone who ignores this concern can be said to ignoring the housing crisis. Remember at a national level the majority of voters own their own property so anyone who wants to form a majority government has to listen to the majority of voters ie home owners. At a local level it's even worse where NIMBYs can have a huge political impact when it comes to objections to new developments. As they own property in an area they have a lot more at stake locally than anyone renting/looking to buy in the same area. Look at the number of objections politicians of all parties support and a lot of them boil down to concerns around the impact a new development will have on local property prices.

Any plan to bring the average price of a house in Dublin down to 300k is doomed to fail because the majority of voters ie homeowners don't want their main asset to drop massively in value.

You can't complain about anyone ignoring the housing crisis and ignore people's concerns about negative equity. Concerns around negative equity/property values are one of the reasons we have a housing crisis in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm not ignoring people's concerns about negative equity.

I'm saying that those concerns are being over exaggerated.

I'm also saying that we should help those in negative equity, after a solution like this takes effect, looking to move to bigger homes as their families expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Honest question, how do you help someone in negative equity?

And yes the majority of voters own their own property, though this is falling rapidly.

That doesn't mean that anywhere near the majority of voters will be in negative equity. Many will have bought long before the current boom and some will have inherited. Some will be in inconsequential negative equity. Others might weigh the costs of negative equity against ongoing construction costs, which affect homeowners as well as buyers, and will especially do so as we are required to retrofit.

As I suggested earlier, for those people looking to move from smaller apartments, the state could agree to purchase the apartment from them at the price they paid.

It would be cheaper than the state currently buying one bed apartments for 500k.

I'd imagine the state could also step in with lower cost loans for those in this particular situation.

• Advertisement

That sounds very much like creating a tiered system for homeowners. If you are negative equity, the gov have to step in to buy an apartment? Why exactly would that family be entitled to move if what they purchased when into negative equity?

And on top of that, isn't there already a perceived issue with the government and councils buying properties? How would what you are proposing solve anything?

I can't follow at all your suggestion. It completely removes any responsibility from the homeowner if they are in NE, how is that at all good?

I appreciate your view but I find it funny all the other posters saying you have to prevent negative equity and you come along saying people need to be held to account!

I think some people should face the consequences of negative equity, for example if you bought as an investment to rent, a holiday home, etc.

For those meeting strict criteria where they could show they would now be able to afford a larger property, and have such a need, then I think the state should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The state buying an apartment, in possibly 100k negative equity, at original purchase price is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this site. Everyone else will just pay for this will they (the state just taxes and redistributes, it isn't an endless money pit).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Don't be whinging aout the teachers not being able to afford anything, ffs. Irish teachers are among the highest paid in Europe, a report by the European Commission shows. Even 3 years ago the average gross salaries for primary teachers in Ireland in 2019 and 2020 was €58,975 – the fourth highest in the EU.

The average gross salary for secondary teachers in the Republic was €61,414 in 2019/20

That does not include money many get from grinds, correcting exam papers etc

I know a group of teachers in their twenties just back from skiing now, and some of whom spend months abroad on holidays each year. Among the longest holidays in Europe. Do they whinge when they can buy property for 150k or 200k in parts of the country?

What other country nowadays can you buy property for the equivalent of 2 or 3 years gross salary for?

Mary Lou McD saying average Dublin house prices should fall to the 300k mark is populist nonsense. What other capital city in Europe or indeed the world has houses ( not apartments ) for 300k?

MLMcD might as well say the pint should fall to €3 and cars should be 20k each. Populist, vote grabbing rhetoric in an attempt to halt her slide in the polls.

If someone buys an average Dublin house for say 460k in 2023 and it collapses to 300k a few years later, that is certainly not great for them, the banks, the people who have to move jobs / emigrate or the economy.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Like it or not, the state is currently buying one bedroom apartments for circa 500k.

Considering they'll now be buying apartments at say 2019 prices, compared to today's or future prices, I think the state is doing well out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You can’t solve the housing crisis when you have an electorate that think a housing policy based on people taking on huge amounts of debt or relying on social services to give them a home is a good and will not accept any solution that does not include them getting to own a house. Just as you can’t have cheap houses in a country with a high GDP per capita and not everyone can live in the same part of the country and all the other realities the voters have decided to ignore.

Perhaps eventually the pain will reach a point were people will be willing to consider other solutions, maybe after an SF lead government has failed just as miserably as all the others, who knows. But I think Ireland adapting a viable housing policy is a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

True. But thats my point.

They can't realistically achieve that, as the only way to bring the average 3 bed price to 300k in Dublin is to upscale home building hugely and/or oversee an economic crash.

Neither of the above is likley to happen in the short term, under any govt formation.

But I am open to understanding how SF propose to get the average Dublin 3 bed price to 300k.

Exactly.

The govt cant cap the market price.

Its a wild assertion that SF have made and its effectivley not possible to achieve.

SF can cap the price of affordable homes, delivered by the govt only.

Thats all they can do.

And that percentage is a miniscule part of the housing stock. So even if they did implement a cap on govt delivered homes, there would be little to no impact on the wider market.

Thanks one would hope this capacity to deliver houses at an affordable price will increase though.

You were suggesting they buy an apartment that is in negative equity at the original price! So, say someone bought a place for 400k, they had a 10% deposit, so mortgaged for €360k. This is now worth €300k, the state buys it for €400k, when they could buy a property on the open market for €300k. Why would they (and all of us) want to spend money on that? They could get 4 apartments for market price or 3 subsidising negative equity in this way.

Indeed.

But realistically, how many homes can the govt actually deliver?

Local councils currently deliver very few new homes.

The social houses provided to market are generally part 5 or are additional homes bought by councils in new private developments.

In other words, they are delivered by the private market, not the council.

It doesnt appear that local councils have the appetite, nor the resources, to deliver social homes at scale.

A SF govt wont change that, so I dont see a major upswing in afforable homes under SF.

In fact, the number of new homes delivered to the market could fall under SF, since they are anti investment fund and alot of the large scale developments that are currently being delivered are dependent on those funds being in place, in order to make the projects viable.

Current govt oversaw 32k homes last year and likley 35k this year. Those arent small numbers, albeit not what is required.

But I certainly would not take it as a given that SF would deliver 40k or more if they were in power.

I wouldn't take it as a given and I wouldn't think it will happen overnight either.

But I think it's pretty clear that the key to increasing output is to increase labor supply. I'm entirely open to other suggestions but I can only see that happening with trades being more attractive than they currently are. I think offering longer term job security will have to be part of this and this will require state intervention.

And 32k houses is a small amount to be producing, we produced nearly 90k during the boom.

Let's not forget we also need to deep retrofit a significant amount of current housing stock too. Fossil fuels are out in 2040.

During the bubble we had 25% of the economy being comprised of construction, which was an insane number. We also had the new countries joining the EU and a large pool of willing labour that doesn't exist now. It wasn't a health situation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont think its an exaggeration, I think its an excellent demonstration of why its not possible to keep building housing near to where people want to work when people want to live and work in the same places that everyone else does. Sandyford is just one example of this, whats a reasonable commute from Sandyford in your mind? Cherrywood is still cranking out the houses & apartments, but they are not going to be cheap 3 beds when they are in a high demand area.

I agree with your last paragraph, but I think we are taking different things from it. I'm saying "dont do it" due to the knock on effects it will have everywhere else.

I'm also not saying that I have all the answers, I just know that whatever "below cost" housing is created by the government has to somehow be separated from the private housing market or they will interfere with each other and cause huge problems in that private market. The only option I see is to create houses that people only live in if they cannot afford anything else. This is really what happens today, no one picks the crappy run down house because they want to, its because thats all they can afford. This is the price point where the state belongs.

I just dont know how you create high density public housing and not end up with ghettos. I've been clear and honest on that from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup we re stuck with these capacity constraints, immigration is actually required to up this, best of luck with selling that one right now!

we ll still be talking about our exasperating property problems post the next government, its a right clusterfcuk!

• Advertisement

I don't think we need to fully replicate boom efforts and practices, nor do we need to get to that level of output.

I believe we had about 13% of the labor force working in the area back then, so we will need to get closer to that figure and in a manner which can be sustained.

There may well still be plenty who'd be willing to come and work here, perhaps from outside the EU, but let's face it, with nowhere now for them to live, that ship has passed. Perhaps 5 to 10 years ago it might have been a solid intervention for the state to start recruiting from abroad for construction workers, and limiting work-permits in none essential areas, but I guess that ship has passed.

So the focus will have to be on encouraging people already here, including school leavers, to the construction industry.

..its gonna be next to impossible to convince people whos careers are already in motion, to change, everyone knows how hard the industry is, very few are willing to do it now, ive been told average ages are into the 50's on some sites, i.e. lads just arent going there, and you cant blame them either. there would have to be some incentives, i think pensions might be a way to go, with the option to bail out in the 50's with some sort of part payment....

20% wouldn't impact anyone "too much"?

How much principal, percentagewise, do you think people have paid off after lets say 5 years?

I don't think you'd get too many from IT or Pharma, but probably lower paid factory workers, call-centre etc.

After some subsidized training, circa 50k + a pension would look a lot more attractive to those currently on lower wages.

You'd probably need the same style of conversion courses they brought in for IT. One years paid intensive training and then off you go to be an electrician, carpenter etc.

maybe, but im not exactly convinced, everyone knows how hard it really is, ive met many lads crippled in their 40's/50's from it, everyone knows this!

Well excuse me for taking what the leader of the party publicly said!

Btw, why do you assume that he is correct and she is wrong? Surely we should true the leader over one of her staff?

Regardless, how much impact will 4,000 houses have on anything (ignoring impact to other house prices)? What's that, about 15% on top of what we have today?

Isn't that just adding yet more people to the states burden? I cant fathom how making more people dependent on the state is going to help anything, unless you want the 300K/house headline and ignore the multi-million euro budget hole that it creates.

Just because it doesn't put them in negative equity, people wont vote for a reduction in their asset value blindly. Why would they?

You keep pulling these "solutions" out of thin air, but they lack proper detail. Saying strict criteria, for example, exactly how do you propose that takes shape? What kind of resources would be needed? Can anyone apply? How much negative equity? What if the house is inherited?

How would someone in negative equity for an apartment be able to afford a larger property? And why as well? Surely the fact they are in negative equity would be grounds that they would just end up in financial trouble again.

Preventing negative equity and holding people to account for being in it are vastly different. You can bring a horse to water etc

• Advertisement

Its not endless, but the plan is to really only tax a certain demographic, I suspect it not the same demographic as the one who's votes SF are targeting with their 300K headline. But I'm probably just biased....cough...cough.

Advertisement