Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT - nearly half of the 1.5 million vehicles that did the test last year failed

• 04-01-2024 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭

I think the one revealing stat NOT MENTIONED would be an AGE PROFILE of the 750,000 cars that failed

In saying that my own car is an 08 MX5 roadster ( 16 years this year ) and has passed with flying colours so far. Not gloating, its that kind of car that, in the main, one looks after well if you have one. I am trying to keep it on the road beyond it being a classic. Shes an Irish car and was lucky to get it hardly used in 2014.

I have an aquantance with a 92 Starlet, same thing, flys through the NCT annually. I suppose not much can go wrong with it, very simple and mainly old style mechanical w/o much electronic stuff :D

Any way - still, it would be informative to see an age profile of the cars that fail. Is it mainly those over a certain age OR is it a mixture of newer / older?

Of course as article implies, it could be the NCT really pushing the boundaries of its terms of ref with regards to what it checks or not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

this is a tricky one, theres probably many reasons for the failure rate, many probably simply cant afford to move onto another younger vehicle, as is the case with myself, which means im forced to keep an aging car going, and typically its becoming harder and harder, as its at the end of its life, yet ive virtually no other options, so.....

then of course theres the elephant in the room, the way the whole system is structured means, maintaining an elevated failure rate actually benefits the owners of nct itself, ive had someone in the trade claim recently, it should be publicly operated, to reduce this exposure, shur who knows....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any time I have been at the NCT centre at least 25% of the cars I can hear being discussed as failed did so on lights not working, basic stuff any simpleton should know is working or not before turning up for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Are there any stats for the NCT equivalent in the north? It would be interesting to see if there are any differences.

i suspect some of this is people simply not really having the time to pre inspect their vehicles prior to testing, most people are just running and racing nowadays, the only time they have with testing is simply booking and rocking up, my previous mechanic use to always tell me, just send it in, and let them tell you whats wrong....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭[Steve]

I've had family members return from NCT for simple fail reasons - lights out, worn tyres, bad alignment, or worn brakes. It's not rocket science to check these prior to test but as mentioned above - a lot of people either don't care or use the NCT as list of problems for the garage to fix.

Personally had mine in at the start of december, passed without issue (https://i.imgur.com/XSKl1Hr.jpg). Had 4 new tyres fitted, alignment done, and checked brakes + lights the week prior to NCT. Hence the result. Still going to sort out the brakes all-round though in a few months as it's got the original 2015 rotors and rear drums.

I think it would be a terrible idea to scrap the NCT - it forces people to drive cars that are safe to a reasonable level. There's still far too many cars on the road with blown lights, worn tyres, and half falling apart as it is.

• Advertisement

theres also a lot of resentment based around testing, resulting in people going 'fcuk it', why bother pre checking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't know about resentment but there is a fair bit of "Send it in as it is, get the list of things to fix, get them fixed, pass" which is going to have a major impact on the initial failure rates.

This way of doing things makes a lot of sense (unless of course there's a fairly obvious issue with the car that needs to be sorted asap) and I can see that it makes a lot of sense to do things this way.

Scrapping the NCT would be a serious issue and I don't think we can - it was probably brought in back in the day as some sort of EU directive no doubt and it's a relatively cheap way to keep your car monitored and as such roadworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Most of the top failures are poor maintenance. Tyres, alignment, lights and suspension.

The NCT is a safety check and it's usually cheap to fix issues.

again, some people simply dont have time or money to keep up with all of that....

some people truly dont have 100+ quid to fix stuff, hence why theyre driving around in death traps, failed tests, false tests etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭brokenbad

IF you bring your car in for an NCT and it fails for bulbs or bald tyres resulting in a failure - then it's your own fault for not going through the pre-test checklist. Every year when i bring in the wife's 2006 Micra it flies through the test - mainly because i have taken the time beforehand to check and fix any of the basic failure issues.

Post edited by brokenbad on

• Advertisement

...so does pointing the finger at customers actually do much for issues such as lengthening waiting times etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A mechanic I used to use always said to get take an NCT test and get a "shopping list" of what needs doing before bringing it to him.

Often easier to fix just what the NCT tells you is wrong rather than fixing stuff you think might fail.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

well my thoughts on that is if you cant afford to maintain a car properly then you shouldnt have a car at all. I do get that sometimes things can go in cars that are expensive etc and you may have to hold off fixing it until you have the money but safety issues should not be put on the long finger either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My attitude is I'll just put it through and see what they say. I'll check the basic's before hand but anything under the body I'll live and hope.

Pre NCT checks you pay for are a waste of time, garages don't have the rolling roads

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I put my cars through every year (ranging from 9+ years old to 30+ years old). Cast majority of the time they fly through. If they do fail, it's on something weird like the bulb not being orange enough (yet has always passed with the same bulb/lights previously), one time it failed because the indicator stalk was broken. Turned out the tester broke it and didn't know how to fix it (basically pushed it the wrong way)

Tough luck then. Motoring has always been expensive and it's no excuse to drive a dangerous vehicle because you can't maintain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The more vehicles that have to go back for a second test (except visual inspection) utilising test machinery is surely impacting on the waiting times where centres are at or near capacity. Take some or the retests out of the equation and automatically there are more slots available, thus shorter wait times for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

As usual somebody just cobbles together the statistics to suit their own headline grabbing needs. Remember there are two different types of fails, major and dangerous, with a big difference between them. It looks to me like they pulled the 750,000 number by adding all the fails together, when IMO only fail dangerous stats are relevant to the safety side of the NCT discussion.

The actual stats for last year on the NCT site appear to be 1588003 tests, 638233 fail majors and 109587 fail dangerous. Which is about a 7% fail dangerous rate, a lot less than the near 50% headline figure used in that 'article'.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think almost everyone at this stage uses the NCT as a shopping list to see what needs done. Just get the basic service if it passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The test is much more vigorous, since it started.

I do think they are out to fail people. If you show up for the test in a petrol or diesel car, be wary.

Govt. agenda is to get more people driving EVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

Its a licence to print money for the operators, private garages should be allowed tender for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd say a fair amount of the fails are people putting the car through to see what needs to be fixed. Likely due to bring ripped off in the past and not wanting to pay for unnecessary repairs or just being cheap and wanting to spend as little as possible.

Every second car on the roads has misaligned headlights or missing bulbs, it's clear people just don't give a shite about maintaining their cars. Cars here seem to fall into a cycle of neglect, a lot of 10 year old cars aren't even washed let alone serviced properly.

Plus you have people driving around in things they can't afford, too many people get their secondhand Audi and BMW then refuse to service it and repair it properly. They live a life of €20 diesel fills. They'd be able to afford it if it was a Dacia or bog standard Hyundai. Loads of people are happy to put GTI wheels on their diesel Golfs that look like they're about to fall apart if they hit a speed bump too quickly.

I understand motoring is expensive in Ireland but everything has been on cheap tax for the last 10 years and are fairly fuel efficient. What are people driving that doesn't have generic service parts, cheap tax and decent fuel economy that they can't afford to fix?

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭boardz

Is this failure rate out of sync with previous years? I didn't do a pre test inspection other than tyres and bulbs and it failed on headlight alignment. Garage told me the alignment measurement changed in the last year and loads of cars failing on it. The new standard for me (and him) makes the lights point down too low in my opinion. He told me on his and his wifes cars he aligns to pass the test and then re aligns them to the old standard. Makes a huge difference. Wonder if it has any impact on the increased fatalities last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No excuse at all but most of the cars driven by people who are short of money are over 10 years old.

With the annual test the faults are picked up on and then they either get rid or find the money somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭gossamerfabric

RSA levy NCT

see page 82 of https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/about/rsa-annual-report-and-accounts-2021.pdf?sfvrsn=915de985_7

Should they be receiving so much?

I consider their Advertisements offensive and depressing and have zero effect on those who live chaotic lives resulting in accidents.

I also feel they take credit for reducing injuries when road improvements and improvements in active and passive safety of vehicles are really what is helping most.

It has been suggested that the new Asian testers are testing with much gusto but I only have anecdotal evidence to support this.

A lot of people send a car in to see whats wrong with it.

Last year before the NCT, my main dealer had a couple hundred euro worth of stuff needing to be done.

So i sent it in to see what else it would fail & see was it worth doing.

The car passed the nct without a spanner being touched!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭mk7r

That doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with your car though.

The next is a basic check of certain basic safety items, it's not a comprehensive test of the entire car.

But that doesn't matter. The purpose of the nct is to get polluting and unsafe cars off the road, not to make sure your car won't suffer engine trouble.

If a car passes an NCT & still has problem’s that make it unsafe then whats the point of it?

I think the garage were just looking for a soft paycheck. Car drove away the finest anyway for a few months until I could afford the repair’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A lot of people send a car in to see whats wrong with it.

I'd say nearly everybody does this at this stage. A retest is €27. If you've to spend €500 on a service it's small change to get anything else fixed

There's also a new requirement for the NCT to be able to see the VIN number stamped on the chassis. This is causing many failures (albeit with free retesting) as most drivers don't know where to find this number stamped

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/nct-criticised-over-test-1.1036075

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Hmmm, how come there werent 1.5 million deadly crashes last year so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

A new requirement? That article is 18 years old. NCT testers know how to find a VIN number. Theres only two or three possible locations. I’ve never once failed an NCT over this and I do over 50 of them a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't know anyone who called or went onto the priority list online who didn't get an NCT before their current NCT expired. If you are waiting months for an appointment it's because you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Which private garage is going to invest in the required equipment for €55 per test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We had private garages doing the DoE on commercial vehicles and it was such a corrupt sh1t show that the UK had to embarrass us into reforming it, nearly every Irish truck failed their roadside inspections even with a fresh DoE. The UK MOT is also riddled with corruption and extortion, Northern Ireland followed our system instead of the rest of the UK for their car checks.

There is some corruption in our system but with private garages doing the test it would be way worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If some people believe handing this over to private entities will some how not be a licence to print money, they really are sheltered from the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Garages practically encourage people to just throw the car in NCT and then come back with a list of stuff to repair rather than look at the car twice. The stat isn't at all surprising.

Besides bulbs, tyres and levels there isnt a whole lot else that a lay person is going to be qualified to maintain anyway, certainly not the out of sight innards. Many drivers aren't mechanically minded and dont really have a clue about their cars and what makes them go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,928 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is so open to fraud that it would not be even vaguely considered these days.

That fraud runs in both directions - false fails to get the unneeded 'repair' work are a significant problem with GBs shitshow of a system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

A bug bear of mine :D .. Lights, especially on new cars - LEDs. Does anyone else find these lights even on dips way brighter / Whiter than the older type Halogen lights on cars?

Maybe its because many cars on the road now are higher up SUVs so when you are coming up against them in a regular saloon ( or MX5 roadster like me ) the dims even seem like full headlight?

Could this be a reason they have a new standard of making the lights point down lower as you saw?

One would wonder if this is a SAFETY issue as it seems to be, then why are govs very slow to deal with this? OR the EU perhaps. LEDS seem to have been just accepted as a halogen alternative, no questions asked

"The RAC’s research suggests that the increasing prevalence of vehicles that sit higher on the road, specifically SUVs, might also be exacerbating the problem for those in conventional cars that sit much lower, like hatchbacks, saloons and estates. "

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/26/car-headlights-too-bright-led

Yeah definitely, NCT is a great 2nd opinion lol

Jesus didnt no about the Vin number, sounds like needless hassle for the testers & for customer’s alike if you have to get a retest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That article is from 2006, I think if it was actually an issue we'd have heard about it by now🙄

Lights aren't the issue, it's our roads. Next time you're driving in the dark on an unlit road, pay attention to the beam cut off on your headlights. You'll notice it's going up and down constantly as your car is moving on the road surface as the road surface has dips, humps and bumps.

Only time I've been flashed driving a car with LEDs is when the road surface tilts up meaning my lights are pointing up towards the oncoming cars. Usually it's brief, when I get a glare of LEDs coming towards me it's never an issue unless it's a Tesla. When I get flashed, I flash them back so they can see what my high beams really look at.

LEDs are self leveling but they can't keep up with how uneven our roads are. Of course LEDs can be fit in properly from the factory but I imagine most people's issue is caused by the road surface.

Exactly, I completely forgot the NCT was due on my Golf after getting it serviced in September, managed to get a slot 3 weeks later. Can't remember what it is exactly but they've changed their booking now so something like 1/3 of their slots are online only for 2-3 week availability so you can definitely get a slot. And this is Dublin Fonthill which is busy. In the pre-Covid/lift issues I had to go somewhere in Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

private garages test thousands of commercial vehicles and HGVs ever year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

#tinfoil hat #thetruthisoutthere

The NCT was set up under an EU directive that required the tests take place in a state owned facility. Lots of other EU countries have the same set up.

Any business can tender to run the testing service when it up for renewal. We will never have an MOT style testing regime.

A licence to print money is something like the M50 toll bridge or the mobile phone licences. Upfront cost but endless profits thereafter. The NCT and other State contacts are not like that.

While Applus make a good profit, they have to invest in their business to run it, hire staff and train them an all that entails. After 5 years the RSA can just give that business to someone else. They take the risks and face fines for under-performance etc. The State shifts huge risks to the private sector by doing it this way.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

It's still an issue today, trust me especially with Tesla's sold 4 years ago lol

It's true but if the tester can't find it the onus is on the owner to find it or fail the car safety test

Some new models have it behind the plastic door frame cover and testers are reluctant to take that off in case it breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to dig into the “massive profits” supposedly being made by the NCT.

Im not going to quote figures for 2022 where they made a €1m loss.

Year of 2021,

they did 1,500,000 full tests @ €55, so revenue of €82m

They did 475k retests @ €28 so revenue of €13m

They did 200k free visual retests bringing in €0 revenue.

For that they made profits of €2m. (2.1%)

So basically €1.7m from the full retests, a profit of €1.13 per full test, and €275k from the lane retests, so €1.37 per retest.

Or put another way, a profit of €40k per test centre per year.

They put it out to retender a few years ago, and there was only one applicant. That’s how attractive it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The average age of the Irish fleet is now 9 years, up from 5.8 in 2007.

With the removal of the UK market as a source of newer used vehicles, the average age is only going to increase, and failure rates will rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair - 2007 was peak Celtic tiger and an anomaly, even by 2012 it was back to 8 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement