Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You need to stop deflecting from the RSI issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

An airstrike on the logistical support headquarters of an Iran-backed militia in central Baghdad Thursday killed a high-ranking militia commander, militia officials said, as tension continued to rise across the region. The prime minister’s office in Iraq said that the US-led international coalition bore responsibility for an “unjustified” attack on an Iraqi security force. Reuters reports the office said: “The attack is a dangerous escalation and a violation of Iraq’s sovereignty.”

(The Gaurdian UK)

looks like the americans are still chipping away at the iranians in response to their terrorist actions in yemen, red sea, syria, lebanon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭dmcdona

By the same logic, Israel could have not funded Hamas all those years ago and instead bent their minds towards negotiating a two-state solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, Israel may have made some serious strategic errors in the 1990s and early 2000s in that regard. And Israel's people have the right to ask their government some serious questions.

But for the last 15-odd years it's been Iran that's been pulling the strings with regard to both Hamas and Hezbollah.

I lived in Ashkelon - bedroom was a bomb shelter. I believe all homes had to have a bomb protected room. Might have applied to Tel Aviv too. And that was before Iron Dome.

Exactly how many Israelis in Sderot, Ashkelon or even Tel Aviv have died since 7th October due to Hamas activity/rockets?

Contrast that with Gaza where 22,000 civilians have died so far. And as for Israel providing "safe" areas for the protection of civilians:

"We're hearing more now from people in al-Mawasi, which, as we mentioned in our last post, is a small area on the southern coast of Gaza where a blast has killed at least 14 Palestinians - and which Israel has previously promoted as a safe area."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Umm, they were sheltering in the theatre, which was believed to be robust enough to be suitable. And was a purely civilian building, unlike Azovstal which was known to be deemed a military target by the Russians.

The fact that Russians then committed a direct hit on civilian infrastructure is very different from Hamas' refusal over 20 years to build any sort of refuge buildings, above or below ground, for their citizens, while constructing a massive tunnel complex for military purposes, at least partly funded using UN aid money.

I think that you know this, but are so far down the antisemitic rabbit hole of your support for Hamas that you can't allow yourself to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

With this in mind quite a few of the Israeli politicians in the current Government would be quite happy to see a variant of Hamas emerge after this war in order to maintain the status quo. The last thing they want is moderates governing in Gaza.

Israelis who were not killed since the 7th October of course - and probably the remaining hostages if they are still alive.

Interesting use of the word "may"...

It's sort of fascinating, in a rather odd way, that you seem to think that Israel's attempts to protect its citizens by making the construction of bomb shelters a legal obligation, somehow reflects badly on Israel, as opposed to Hamas which has never made any effort to make its citizens' lives better or safer, and has even said that the safety of Gazan civilians was not their main goal, but rather the destruction of Israel.

Hmm.

Children in Gaza obliterated in their houses by a missile - well that's not Israel's fault. It's Hamas fault because Hamas have tunnels and they wouldn't let the civilians into them.

Children in Mariupol obliterated in a theatre by a missile - well that's not Russia fault. It's Azovs fault because the Azovs had tunnels and they wouldn't let the civilians into them.

Seems perfectly analagous. Apart from the fact that the Gazans are in residential houses whereas the Russians could try to claim some (implausible) deniability that the building was being used as a military building.

Brown people are people too volchitsa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

And after Hamas kills all the Jews in Israel, "from the river to the sea", as is their aim, who will protect Muslim women in the Middle East from "honour killings' and all of the other unspeakable atrocities we know the Palestinians committed against women on October 7th?

Who will protect Arab "collaborators" from being killed? Who will protect Palestinian homosexuals from being murdered?

I don't think they have thought this through, have they?

No it’s Hamas’ fault for attacking civilians including babies on Oct 7th and threatening to carry out more such attacks until Israel no longer exists.

Yoir attempt to make my position out to be a racist one is ironic. Hamas commit pogroms against Jews.

I know. People forget about the real victims of the conflict. All this RSI from repeatedly hitting the "launch" buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It was only 5 years ago Israel was bringing Hamas suitcases of money from Qatar.

The Palestinian people may have voted for Hamas back in 2006, but there's no arguing that Israel helped support Hamas and help keep them in power up to at least 2018.

I suppose in your view Hamas bears no blame - despite being the government of Gaza - for constantly attacking Israel and giving it legitimate cause for war? That seems to be the common view among Israel's detractors, that Hamas (and the Gazans who supported them for 20 years) are totally blameless and Israel is acting in a vacuum.

And IIRC towards the end of the siege of Mariupol, civilians did seek shelter in Azovstal steel works. There was never any issue there.

And Ukraine had not attacked Russia. Another big difference.

I'm consistent SeanW. You've convinced me that Israel bears no responsibility at all for making the unilateral decisions to target civilian areas with missile strikes. The reason being that some other lads had some tunnels. The same as Russia bears no responsibility at all for making the unilateral decision to target a theatre full of kids with missile strikes. With the same reason being that some other lads had some tunnels.

Trying to do mental gymnastics to achieve the cognitive dissonance to say that one is grand whereas the other is terrible is beyond my ability at this stage. I need some more teaching first.

Welcome to the twilight zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

Israel funded and supported Hamas against Fatah.

How Israel Secretly Propped Up Hamas - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Your blind support of Israel is remarkable in light of their genocide of Gazan civilians. 'Leave Gaza or die' is not a choice that Israel is justified to offer anyone - we'll see what The Hague says about it next week.

So? Even assuming Israel was actually funding Hamas (which they weren’t - they were simply letting money from Qatar through), would this somehow justify Hamas murdering Israeli women and children?

Warning, sarcasm ahead: Yes, you've convinced me that Israel is literally acting unilaterally in a vacuum. And that Russia was really the victim after all because Ukraine spent the last 20 years attacking Russians and murdering Russian civilians inside Russia. It really must suck living in Russia having to have bomb shelters because of Ukraine's long standing and repeatedly expressed intent to exterminate all Russian people. Oh wait, this is all BS.

In reality, the "mental gymnastics" are coming from those who compare Russia with Israel, as if the two had anything whatsoever in common.

Fatah aren't exactly angels either: they run (or at least used run) a "Pay for Slay" program that ironically was being subsidised by the Americans.

This is just about the most irrelevant and pointless response I’ve seen on here. Positively tragic. And to think you’re so proud of it that you’re now spamming it around the place - well, scraping the bottom of the barrel is putting it kindly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

No. I made no comment on anything reflecting badly on Israel. They are your words.

I was more than happy to have a bomb protected bedroom in case things kicked off.

The Palestinians in Gaza have nothing.

The comment was made (not by you) that Israelis were in danger in localities close the Gaza. I asked (not sure if there was a reply) how many Israelis in this areas has died since Oct 7. Compare that with how many Palestinians have died.

I then finished up with the piece about Palestinians killed in an area designated as safe by IDF.

Its sort of fascinating, in a rather odd way, that you chose not to engage in that part of my post.

In fairness, there are plenty of irrelevant and pointless responses on here. Odd you didn't pick up the one about "dark humour" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Israel did more or less the same thing for former Irgun members

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Just correcting the OP that Israel stopped making serious strategic errors in the early 2000's. They were making them as late as 2018.

I never mentioned or even alluded to any kind of justification for Hamas butchering civilians on Oct 7. I've said it repeatedly that Hamas are terrorists, a cancer and need to be eradicated. I don't know how anyone can justify the deaths on either side.

Presumably without such funds Hamas would not be able to mount any kind of attack. So it seems the cash was important. But not a justification.

Regardless of where the money came from, Israel knew it was coming in and chose not to stop it in order to hobble the PA. And now it has "blown up in their faces" (as reported by the Times of Israel).

Israel had the opportunity to prevent this. They chose not to. They gave Hamas the means to butcher Israelis.

Hamas is a terrorist organisation that wishes Israel to be wiped off the map.

What did Israel expect them to do with a shed load of cash?

Not at all. I'm only backing up @SeanW in highlighting the people who are actually the real victims and the ones really suffering as a result of homes being flattened and people being vapourised in Gaza. The wokerati will try to have you believe its them brown lads whom we should be concerned about. But we should really be concentrating on the horrifying situation the Israelis in Tel Aviv etc. are going through right now. I hear they can't even watch Fair City on their TV in the evenings as all broadcasts have been postponed to make way for the rolling news broadcasting the great successes of another couple of hundred toddler terrorists being liquidated during that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The US have supported and funded many corrupt or worse regimes. From Cuba before Castro to Iran and other multiple middle eastern coups. They probably have done a lot more that we don't know. Sometimes it was right to support someone in the past - or a necessary evil at the time - as the alternative was worse.

So help us with the logic. Complete the problem for us.

Scenario: A large number of civilians and children with ethnicity E were killed in a deliberate missile strike on civilian building by X where X was fully aware of the purpose of the building. However, it is noted that group Y had tunnels close by.

Question. Does X bear responsibility for the deaths, or does that lie with Y, with none on X?

Or does the answer change depending on who X & Y were? Or what E is?

• Advertisement

It's really simple: your equations are fundamentally flawed because they're predicted on the assumption that Israel and Russia are exactly the same. The exact opposite is true in every conceivable respect.

Russia is the largest country on Earth. Israel is one of the smallest. Russia wants to kill all its neighbours, Israel's is trying to avoid being killed by its neighbours. Russia is an authoritarian kleptocracy, Israel is the closest thing the Middle East has to a secular democracy. Most importantly, the government of Gaza is a terrorist government whose stated and repeatedly manifest objective is to kill the Jews. Ukraine's stated and manifest objective is just to continue existing - at no time was Ukraine bent on the annihilation of Russia and all its people, nor has that been the objective of anyone since 1945. As to your ridiculous comparison with the Azov fighters, civilians were allowed to take refuge in the Azov steel works towards the end of the siege of Mariupol.

So I have literally no idea what you're getting at with your patently absurd comparisons, except to try to hoodwink people in thinking Israel is acting in a vacuum or to mislead people into think that Israel's situation is any way comparable to Russia's.

Advertisement