Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No it’s Hamas’ fault for attacking civilians including babies on Oct 7th and threatening to carry out more such attacks until Israel no longer exists.

Yoir attempt to make my position out to be a racist one is ironic. Hamas commit pogroms against Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I know. People forget about the real victims of the conflict. All this RSI from repeatedly hitting the "launch" buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It was only 5 years ago Israel was bringing Hamas suitcases of money from Qatar.

The Palestinian people may have voted for Hamas back in 2006, but there's no arguing that Israel helped support Hamas and help keep them in power up to at least 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I suppose in your view Hamas bears no blame - despite being the government of Gaza - for constantly attacking Israel and giving it legitimate cause for war? That seems to be the common view among Israel's detractors, that Hamas (and the Gazans who supported them for 20 years) are totally blameless and Israel is acting in a vacuum.

And IIRC towards the end of the siege of Mariupol, civilians did seek shelter in Azovstal steel works. There was never any issue there.

And Ukraine had not attacked Russia. Another big difference.

I'm consistent SeanW. You've convinced me that Israel bears no responsibility at all for making the unilateral decisions to target civilian areas with missile strikes. The reason being that some other lads had some tunnels. The same as Russia bears no responsibility at all for making the unilateral decision to target a theatre full of kids with missile strikes. With the same reason being that some other lads had some tunnels.

Trying to do mental gymnastics to achieve the cognitive dissonance to say that one is grand whereas the other is terrible is beyond my ability at this stage. I need some more teaching first.

Welcome to the twilight zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭scottser

Israel funded and supported Hamas against Fatah.

How Israel Secretly Propped Up Hamas - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Your blind support of Israel is remarkable in light of their genocide of Gazan civilians. 'Leave Gaza or die' is not a choice that Israel is justified to offer anyone - we'll see what The Hague says about it next week.

So? Even assuming Israel was actually funding Hamas (which they weren’t - they were simply letting money from Qatar through), would this somehow justify Hamas murdering Israeli women and children?

Warning, sarcasm ahead: Yes, you've convinced me that Israel is literally acting unilaterally in a vacuum. And that Russia was really the victim after all because Ukraine spent the last 20 years attacking Russians and murdering Russian civilians inside Russia. It really must suck living in Russia having to have bomb shelters because of Ukraine's long standing and repeatedly expressed intent to exterminate all Russian people. Oh wait, this is all BS.

In reality, the "mental gymnastics" are coming from those who compare Russia with Israel, as if the two had anything whatsoever in common.

Fatah aren't exactly angels either: they run (or at least used run) a "Pay for Slay" program that ironically was being subsidised by the Americans.

This is just about the most irrelevant and pointless response I’ve seen on here. Positively tragic. And to think you’re so proud of it that you’re now spamming it around the place - well, scraping the bottom of the barrel is putting it kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭dmcdona

No. I made no comment on anything reflecting badly on Israel. They are your words.

I was more than happy to have a bomb protected bedroom in case things kicked off.

The Palestinians in Gaza have nothing.

The comment was made (not by you) that Israelis were in danger in localities close the Gaza. I asked (not sure if there was a reply) how many Israelis in this areas has died since Oct 7. Compare that with how many Palestinians have died.

I then finished up with the piece about Palestinians killed in an area designated as safe by IDF.

Its sort of fascinating, in a rather odd way, that you chose not to engage in that part of my post.

In fairness, there are plenty of irrelevant and pointless responses on here. Odd you didn't pick up the one about "dark humour" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Israel did more or less the same thing for former Irgun members

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Just correcting the OP that Israel stopped making serious strategic errors in the early 2000's. They were making them as late as 2018.

I never mentioned or even alluded to any kind of justification for Hamas butchering civilians on Oct 7. I've said it repeatedly that Hamas are terrorists, a cancer and need to be eradicated. I don't know how anyone can justify the deaths on either side.

Presumably without such funds Hamas would not be able to mount any kind of attack. So it seems the cash was important. But not a justification.

Regardless of where the money came from, Israel knew it was coming in and chose not to stop it in order to hobble the PA. And now it has "blown up in their faces" (as reported by the Times of Israel).

Israel had the opportunity to prevent this. They chose not to. They gave Hamas the means to butcher Israelis.

Hamas is a terrorist organisation that wishes Israel to be wiped off the map.

What did Israel expect them to do with a shed load of cash?

Not at all. I'm only backing up @SeanW in highlighting the people who are actually the real victims and the ones really suffering as a result of homes being flattened and people being vapourised in Gaza. The wokerati will try to have you believe its them brown lads whom we should be concerned about. But we should really be concentrating on the horrifying situation the Israelis in Tel Aviv etc. are going through right now. I hear they can't even watch Fair City on their TV in the evenings as all broadcasts have been postponed to make way for the rolling news broadcasting the great successes of another couple of hundred toddler terrorists being liquidated during that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The US have supported and funded many corrupt or worse regimes. From Cuba before Castro to Iran and other multiple middle eastern coups. They probably have done a lot more that we don't know. Sometimes it was right to support someone in the past - or a necessary evil at the time - as the alternative was worse.

So help us with the logic. Complete the problem for us.

Scenario: A large number of civilians and children with ethnicity E were killed in a deliberate missile strike on civilian building by X where X was fully aware of the purpose of the building. However, it is noted that group Y had tunnels close by.

Question. Does X bear responsibility for the deaths, or does that lie with Y, with none on X?

Or does the answer change depending on who X & Y were? Or what E is?

It's really simple: your equations are fundamentally flawed because they're predicted on the assumption that Israel and Russia are exactly the same. The exact opposite is true in every conceivable respect.

Russia is the largest country on Earth. Israel is one of the smallest. Russia wants to kill all its neighbours, Israel's is trying to avoid being killed by its neighbours. Russia is an authoritarian kleptocracy, Israel is the closest thing the Middle East has to a secular democracy. Most importantly, the government of Gaza is a terrorist government whose stated and repeatedly manifest objective is to kill the Jews. Ukraine's stated and manifest objective is just to continue existing - at no time was Ukraine bent on the annihilation of Russia and all its people, nor has that been the objective of anyone since 1945. As to your ridiculous comparison with the Azov fighters, civilians were allowed to take refuge in the Azov steel works towards the end of the siege of Mariupol.

So I have literally no idea what you're getting at with your patently absurd comparisons, except to try to hoodwink people in thinking Israel is acting in a vacuum or to mislead people into think that Israel's situation is any way comparable to Russia's.

You've confirmed exactly what we already knew SeanW. There are no morals or principles in your position - what a party does is only a crime if it is the "wrong" people doing it to the "right" people. It doesn't depend on the act itself - just the parties involved

• Advertisement

That is a lie. The ethnicity of the people involved is irrelevant. The background and context are what matters. Israel and Russia are not comparable in any way.

Background = irrelevant. Revenge or bloodlust is not an excuse to justify a crime.

Ethnicity is indeed part of the context. Is there a single regular poster on this thread who has been critical of Israel's actions who has not been accused of being antisemitic?

That is a lie. Israel's and Russia's situations are diametrically opposed in every imaginable respect. Your comparisons between the two are transparently absurd. The ethnicity of the peoples involved is irrelevant.

I am merely focusing on incidents which are mirror images of each other circumstances SeanW.

Israel are not responsible for deliberately targeting civilian - it's Hamas' fault, not the ones who punched in the missile coordinates - and the reason is that Hamas have some tunnels and they could have brought the civilians into them

However Russia is responsible for deliberately targeting civilians. It's the Russians fault for punching in the missile coordinates, not Azov - despite the fact that Azov have some tunnels and they could have brought the civilians into them

My own personal position is that - in both cases- the ones who punched in the coordinates bear the blame.

And in relation to ethnicity being irrelevant, as I said in the previous post - there isn't a regular poster on this thread who is critical of Israel's crimes and who hasn't been accused of being anti-semiotic as an immediate "go-to" retort.

Repeating a lie - in your case that my standards have anything to do with the ethnicity of the people involved - does not make it true. The same is true of your bizarre comparisons between Israel and Russia.

Both of these are transparently absurd.

Your comparison is total BS and I explained why. I didn't accuse you of anti-Semitism but given that you're genuinely equating Israel with Russia, it probably would be fair to do so. And you brought up ethnicity, not me. My standards do not change because of the skin colour of the people involved and any intimation to the contrary is false.

SeanW, I am not equating Israel with Russia. I am comparing the act the Russia did in bombing the theatre (when Azov had tunnels) with Israel bombing the sh1t out of residential areas and people on here saying that that is Hamas fault because Hamas have tunnels. And the reason I used it was that you no doubt agree that it would be nonsense to blame Azov rather than the Russians for the Russians bombing the theatre. But you are happy to blame Hamas rather than the IDF for the IDF making a conscious and targeted decision to blow the sh1t out of civilians. And the reason is that Hamas have tunnels for themselves and not civilians

If Israel blows up a load of civilians, the first excuse is "there was someone who looked like a Hamas fella nearby" so it is all Hamas fault.

Now we have - in the absence of that first excuse - if Israel blows up a load of civilians then "it is Hamas fault because Hamas don't have tunnels for the civilians". So it is all Hamas fault.

And the other one of course would be, if some civilians did seek shelter in a tunnel and the IDF blew them out of it or gassed them out of it or downed them by flooding, or collapsed the tunnel with bombs - well it would be all Hamas fault for using them as "human shields".

There is basically no scenario where you are willing to accept, or say, "well actually, maybe the IDF shouldn't have killed those civilians and kids"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭mikethecop

again

think you need to explore why you feel only your opinion is valid and why you react poorly to some one else's, as i ve said already there is a name for that that would only upset you more ,

you dont get to demand that i post something or that i dont post something , your not a mod but you've done your best to drag it off topic , a common tactic when your position is indefensible, as such a experienced poster will be aware

#exterminatehamas

It looked like you were equating the two. My standard is simple - Ukraine was not threatening Russia, so Russia has no casus belli against them, i.e. they are the aggressors. Gaza has been waging a long term war against Israel, so Israel has legitimate cause for war. Israel and Russia's motivations for war as well as strategic landscapes are also diametrically opposed. That's why I hold Israel to a different standard to Russia. And that's why I blame Hamas for everything that is happening now, and regard Israel as entitled to take vigorous self-defense. Same as I support Ukraine in doing literally whatever they have to do to make the Russians go away. Simple enough?

And I still don't understand your comparison between Hamas tunnels and the Azov tunnels. There was never any issue with Mariupol civilians getting shelter in the Azovstal works alongside the Azov brigade, again, the conduct of Ukrainian defenders and Hamas terrorists were diametrically opposed.

Post edited by SeanW on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems like ISIS are claiming they did the bombing in Iran the other day.

Advertisement