Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priscilla

Options
  • 17-12-2023 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Saw the new Priscilla movie last night, it's quite drawn out and would not recommend it for anyone. It's all about coercive control and how a 14 year old girl fell for an Elvis , in an USA German army base. Be interesting to hear other opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

sure you recommended nobody watch it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Went to see this last night and I havent enjoyed a movie so much in a long while. Im a fan of Sophia Coppola anyway(Lost in Translation is one of my favorite films)but I dont think Im being biased here. The girl playing Priscilla.............at times I sat there kind of mesmerized by her beauty but that doesn't overshadow or detract from her acting, she is absolutely brilliant. The guy playing Elvis is also very good, the height difference between the two of them was sometimes bordering on comical though, he's a big unit and a good bit taller than Elvis himself was. The obvious question to ask would be, Is it better/worse than Baz Luhrmann's movie? For me this is the better film, even though I did like the Lurhmann's film. That movie kind of made Elvis out to be something of a saint whereas this is more of an honest portrayal. Here Elvis comes across as controlling and emotionally volatile, libel to explode or to turn on a dime for nothing whatsoever.

One interesting thing about the screening I went to and that is the cinema was packed, which is a good thing, but strangely enough it was full of teenage girls. I cant figure this at all, I mean Elvis was before my time but he was most definitely way before their time and I cant understand why teenage girls would be flocking to see a movie about Elvis?? I noticed the same thing when I went to see Baz Lurhmann's film, the theatre was full of groups of teenage girls. At the time I put this down to the fact that they may be fans of Austin Butler but for this movie it makes no sense. Sophia Coppola is most definitely an Indie director and the actors are basically unkowns. Anyway if someone can explain this to me Id be most grateful. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Glad to hear your perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Coppola remains a master of 'vibes', and in that sense this is one of her most successful films - probably my favourite of hers since Somewhere. The way it captures the intoxication of Priscilla being wooed by Elvis, but with these escalating warning signs, is impeccable. The music, the atmosphere, the performances... Spaeny is a revelation, particularly how she manages to shift the performance's pitch throughout the film - even seeming to age from teenager to adulthood in the process.

I do think the first half of the film is stronger than the second though, or at least the final third felt rushed to me. Don't get me wrong - it goes where it has to, and completes Priscilla's story the way it needs to. But whereas the first half / two-thirds luxuriates in detail and has so much space for the aforementioned 'vibes', the final act seemed to speed through a much vaster time period and was a little unsatisfying to me as a result, despite the interesting things happening within. But when it's good, it's really, really good. And those Ramones and Dan Deacon needle drops... 👌

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Need a proper John Lennon film. Nowhere Boy was good, but a mainstream one encompassing his whole life!

Two Elvis related Hollywood films in the last year. Make one for the real king

Advertisement