Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Detroit style pizza.

A high hydration dough, a 280 degrees oven, brick mozzarella diced, and bit of hoping for the best.

Didn't get the burned cheese edges associated with the style, but the rest was passable enough. I think this was a bit too heavily topped, but went down well with the family.

I wanted the really spicy marinara I associate with this style, that was a moderate success.

My wife and I concluded that we prefer our efforts at neapolitan, but this was just something I wanted to try.

Any kind of tray bake style pizza, roman, detroit or other style, is certainly very easily made. Less skill than managing a pizza oven and timing associated with using a peel and so on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I might try making roti soon, as I prefer wholemeal breads, although they can be harder to work with.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

No real recipe really, just boiled some potatoes, then fried some onion with cumin and coriander and then added some chopped tomatoes and finished with some garam masala, covered potatoes in the sauce and roasted for 25 mins

Indian food.

The orange chicken was a takeaway. Supposedly a bhuna, but not really.

I liked the spinach that I made though.

Frozen roti, handy to have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Paella and some bravas

The missus took some fillet steaks and used leftover bits from the freezer to do mini beef wellingtons. Not that mini in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭con747

Burger chips onion rings.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Night before last. Ragu bolognese ish. No carrots in the house, had mushrooms though so subbed in.

Had it on baked potatoes last night. Honestly, think I prefer it that way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Enchiladas…..touch more chili powder, just on the edge of getting too hot but good.

• Advertisement

Cracked out the slow cooker for the first time in ages. Started out as a thai ish chicken thigh curry, evolved as I threw more things in and did it for 10 hours or so. Nicely warming for this weather.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Try as I might, I'm afraid New Boards simply crashes my phone every time I try to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Pasta. Parsley, chilis, garlic, fried prosciutto

“Poulet au Pot”. Really hooked on this method now, all in, spuds normally, pork in this case, root veg. the lot. 90 minutes and it’s all cooked to perfection.

(was abroad for Christmas and New Year so never had red cabbage till now)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That looks tasty and likely to be added to my batch cook fare, would it work as a reheat option in your opinion?

No idea really…….but the red cabbage, yes, I’ve started to cook a few heads and freeze in jamjars so we can have it during the year, usually with duck. Jamjars are perfect for two portions. Reusable obviously and clean method, simple. Seasonal so like to avail.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Gah if only I had a decent size freezer, when I batch myself and Mrs eat it and can fit perhaps two portions in freezer compartment, thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Sweet chilli Salmon with vegetable fried rice.

My friend thought this looks like insects!

I guess there are Naked Lunch vibes alright! LoL

More Indian food later... Dahl, and I'll pick up a Peshwari naan from the takeaway I think. 🇮🇳🌶️

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

Sunday has truly bedded in as pizza day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lovely, where are you getting your pepperoni @Black Sheep?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On the subject of braves, I made your bravas sauce over Christmas.

However I made a mistake. I bought the jars of roasted peppers from Lidl, but they come in like this sugary pickle brine. I think I either need to wash the peppers before using them, or maybe I spilled a bit too much of the juice into the recipe, cause it totally ruined the flavour. It was like a sweet vinegary bravas sauce instead. 😣

This is sliced M&S pepperoni.

I personally would be happy with any kind of decent chorizo but my wife thinks the paprika is overpowering.

I also got a Calabrese sausage from M&S that I sliced up, that was amazing, but it's not pictured.

About the only thing I buy from M&S these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It jumped out at being a decent quality pepperoni and a nice bit of cupping.

No M&S in my neck of the woods unfortunately. I generally make do with Horgans, which is easy to get, it is slightly better than the generic stuff from the supermarket but it is sliced way too thin and the slices are too big for my liking.

As a result, I generally opt for chorizo, but I must look into sourcing some better pepperoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Beef shank osso buco on mash

More Indian food. I used a Tailor Spice Rogan Josh mix. 🌶️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Must be going blind, is the chicken/poulet the white bit beside the carrots?

Poached chicken in garlic, cumin, black pepper and oregano. Not very interesting end result, but made up for it by adding guacamole, cheese, sour cream and a good store bought Chipotle salsa. Also my own pico de gallo and some black beans cooked with diced bacon, garlic, onion and chicken Stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

African peanut soup. Pan was a little too hot/not stirring enough while roasting the peanuts so some were slightly too toasty!

First time making it, made a nice change.

• Advertisement

Chicken and brocolli stirfry, garlic and oyster sauce. Cashews.

Brown rice slowly growing on me.

Advertisement