Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i dont think the 300k target truly is realistic, i also dont think sf believe it either, its just politicking, but its clearly obvious that the primarily market based approach has catastrophically failed, i think the best the state can do now is to get involved in whatever ways as possible, to simply try stabilize prices, hence stabilize the whole sector, but it to will induce its own problems into this sh1tshow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lol.

so they buy them at 2019 prices, but then also have to top up the new mortgages for the people who are in negative equity?

"Hi Peter, Paul has your stuff"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Reading through this thread I've come to a couple of conclusions...

1. there's allot of people here who shouldn't be allowed to use the internet. They say things that suit them, but are removed from social responsibility or even logic...
    2. I actually think the discussion about house prices is just a distraction. The real issue is about equity of earnings, which no one seems to be talking about, instead they are whining about wanting a free house from the state.
    3. Sinn Fein have the younger generation wrapped around their little fingers and are spewing out TikTok quality bullshit with nothing to back it up. If they get into power, I predict a huge increase in house prices, but no real increase in wages/salary.

I'm not saying any of this to be mean, but as bad as things are now, they could very easily become worse. I'd prefer to see a movement of young people attacking wage disparity, which is something that can be tackled.

Lets say we can get to 70K houses a year somehow.

How many years do you think we need to keep up that rate? What happens when we have "enough"? Retrain back into STEM?

I wouldnt agree that its currently "catastrophic" but I would agree that in all likelihood, things are going to get worse before they get better.

I dont have any faith in allowing a proven incompetent party to come up with some new solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Very true.

Populist posturing by SF to suggest a 300k average in Dublin for a 3 bed home.

I am still waiting for someone to explain how SF would achieve this.

It really shows how inexperienced SF actually are, when it comes to real world policy.

In the boom we had a much larger construction labour force.

The 90k homes wouldnt be doable without that resource.

I agree we should incentivise trades, but that takes time and results will be slow to materialise.

Nothing SF are proposing constitutes an increase in the current delivery of homes and as mentioned, some of their policies will actually stifle new home construction.

...its depends where you are in all of this, current homeowners are largely okay, with issues of course, but non home owners are in deep sh1t, which actually means, we re all in deep sh1t really, this is now unleashing highly complex social problems, which will eventually negatively effect us all. this will eventually cause a significant drop in birth rates, of course not the only reason for this, but, which of course exasperates aging population problems, i.e. we all end up in trouble. i would class this as catastrophic, as not only does it cause the above problems, but other highly complex social problems including rising mental health issues, addiction problems, then of course a rise in certain crimes, we ve created a beast!

no, these problems will persist for years/decades, way beyond the next government, who actually may not be sf at all, we could potentially be looking at another ffg lead one, and if thats the case, all bets are off, and we better prepare ourselves for anti parties, similar to other countries, then we ll know what problems are!

if its a sf lead government, that ll be more than likely be with ff, so relax, sf wont have it all their own way, majorities are over for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Let's take the most recent figures and apologies I can't recall the source, these put the requirement at circa 50k per year until 2050.

We also need to retrofit massively until 2040.

So I don't think they'll be running out of working any time soon.

That gives enough time to gradually downsize the states involvement until it's no longer needed at all, or is required to keep the market functioning efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I agree on the TikTok. Majority of times when you question a Sinn Fein supporter about policies etc it's blank faces and they have no idea.

Sinn Fein are good at a 30 sec video telling you how terrible other parties are but never a 30 sec video on how they plan to differ. Maybe that what people want, no answers, just a video telling you how terrible everyone else is. The problem with that is when they are voted into government they have to come up with an actual plan. This is when it falls to pieces for Sinn Fein.

Wage disparity would require a whole thread on its own to be honest to give it justice, most just think this should be everyone gets a living wage. Which I don't think is the answer either

• Advertisement

...the reality with such movements is, details dont actually matter, this can be seen with other radical political movements in other countries now, its, anything but the established parties, yes we know, details do actually matter in reality, but....

we now have to prepare for the possibility of sf being in government because of this, you can spend your day searching for the details, but it now doesnt matter, the establishment is over, or in irelands case, the dominance of ffg is over...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

True it is very hard work. But that didn't stop people flocking to it before.

I think it would also help with making these roles attractive to look at career progression.

As it stands, it seems to me a tradesperson maxes out their earning potential early on. The only option from there is to either a) stay put or b) go into contracting, which can be lucrative these days but might not be stable and wouldn't be for everyone.

I think there should be clearer progression to more professional roles within the industry.

Aside from that, we really need to look at more modern techniques within construction in Ireland. I believe we lag far behind in terms of uptake on less hard labor intensive forms of prefab and part-prefab.

Not necessarily.

It will be up to FF to decide who forms the next govt.

FF can easily lock SF out and stick with the status quo.

SF need FF. So do FG.

Its all up to FF.

true, but people have far more career options available to them now, we should be encouraging lads into it, but we also need to be realistic, very few will probably opt, for the reasons discussed, we really do need to be very realistic here...

yea we re terrible at moving towards more modern techniques, theres probably many reasons for this, and i suspect an element is, dont change anything, as it would upset the apple cart!

modular building company in carlow primarily makes homes for the uk market, this is probably well known now, why havent they been encouraged to get involved here!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

After 43 pages, can we all accept that MaryLou was talking complete cobblers and that after making such a bold statement, her target audience lapped it up and are too dense to admit, she wasn’t/isn’t able to provide any information on how it can be achieved?

This was a gift for the other parties, she put a statement figure on what houses should cost, and she/her party are going to get hammered with it come election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

population expansion and immigration. I would have thought it was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

(1) Explain to me how you deliver training and career switching, with particular reference to the construction trades and the current blockages in accessing Phase 2 training.

(2) Explain to me how the state offers assurances to prospective tradespeople of the stability of labour demand within construction, without exposing the taxpayer to long-term liabilities?

no, marys talking sh1te alright, but no sf supporters are not stupid, theyve simply had enough of ffg, and now they simply dont give a fcuk, this is occurring in many countries now, down play all of this at your pearl, bloodbath incoming for ffg! the momentum is clearly now there for the alternatives, this is exactly whats happening in other elections, and this is exactly whats gonna happen here, but dont be too worried about sf, get ready for the newer parties that will be created over the coming years, sf wont be a patch on them!

• Advertisement

not really, down play this all yea want folks! take a look at whats happening with our presidential elections, ould humpty dumpty himself is mingling, if he does, you d be very surprised how many young folks would vote for him, i.e. the rule book is long gone folks! its up ending time at the ballot boxes, and its gonna happen!

Again, I disagree strongly with you..

Though SF may win the most seats, they will not win the majority vote because a large proportion of property owning voters will not vote for policies which will significantly lower the value of their primary asset, recent young buyers amongst them and , raise their taxes.

There have been a few new parties over the years, none have gained traction to the extent you think new ones will. In the end, if voters are unsure, they vote for centrist parties, and so far SF are all fur coat and no knickers.

I think it is you I’ve asked previously, what detail of the SF policy promises most appeals to you? What is it that you think they are going to do that will achieve what you want them to, and how will they do it? I have confidence in the intelligence of the majority of voters, that they will ask the how, not just accept the unsupported promises of Mary Lou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

.. and then they get into power and do nothing, ala Syriza or Podemos etc. I don't think there is anything to really fear to be honest. I would prefer FF to provide a S&C arrangement rather than go into government with SF, I think it would be really stupid to be a shitguard for SF when it inevitably goes wrong.

"but no sf supporters are not stupid, theyve simply had enough of ffg, and now they simply dont give a fcuk,"

I fine example of stupidity if you ask me.

The majority of homes been built are been bought by people in Ireland, so saying non home owners are in deep sh*t is not really true.

That is hardly an endorsement of their policies. When election time arrives, SF are going to need more than just a “give us a try” motto.

I’ve posted about this a number of times. Prior to the last election P Doherty was in a live debate with other party candidates, after he laid out the SF policies, an economist on the panel said that they would cost in the region of 40bn to implement, he was asked where the money would come from. He fumbled, rambled, obfuscated, then admitted that taxes would have to be raised. Raising taxes is never a good platform to run on, especially now when the cost of living has gone up, add into that pushing anyone who has bought in the last few years into negative equity, that’s a vote killer. Look how the banks and developers were pariahs after the last housing crash, imagine the backlash if a political party promises to intentionally do the same.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The motto seems to be from Sinn Fein and supporters that "sure they will be no worse than 'insert party name"

That's not going to win votes for people who actually read manifesto and policies, research what the party proposes etc

Now of course it is acceptable to some people and that is their choice. As I say to everyone, read all the parties policies, watch all the information available and then make a decision on which party you think have the best plan. Snappy videos with no content are just used to cover up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

We may be all missing the point that SF are in reality a single-issue party, and that issue is certainly not housing.

Housing is simply an issue of convenience to build a narrative for electoral support based on a so-called change agenda.

In this context its pretty irrelevant to be discussing their housing 'policy', because said policy is not designed to address housing at all.

She was absolutely wrong to say what she did. She could have, should have said that their aim was to make homes more affordable, but she went all-in and put a figure on it. Now if she rows back, she will look like she doesn’t understand what she is talking about, and gives up her trump card, the promise to fix housing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement