Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 _nobody_

Watched the game on TV - well done to those who braved the conditions.

One thing that jumped out to me is our lack of management of referees. I feel that this has been a problem with Connacht for a while, we are more often than not on the wrong side of various referees. At one stage Jack was trying to speak with Busby but was told he is not the captain. There looked to be talking from Connacht players constantly, and it must get on the refs wick at times.

From looking on TV, Munster were definitely pushing the offside line for most of the game. I wonder if a quiet word from a captain to the ref would be more effective than multiple players shouting at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Any update on Cordero? With our back three injuries mounting, his return would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why not try Hawkshaw or Smith at fullback?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Or Jennings, he's looked to have something about him and he's back from the 7s team.

Lyon away could be an interesting selection as I doubt we'll look to go 100% at that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Last I heard on the craggy rugby podcast was around April

• Advertisement

Ok, I thought his return data had moved back. I wonder if it might be worth trying Hawkshaw at 15 at some point. Otherwise, there are other back three options: Jennings, Smith, McNulty, McNamara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

It is interesting. Not too many have succeeded to date at FB. I guess it's related to the specific position and not the individual. No more than I said I would like Mack on the wing which is his natural place, it's not about putting players in positions in the hope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I don’t know I think there is the opportunity to give both European matches a proper go.

There is a rest weekend this weekend and then no matches till mid Feb. Wouldn’t expect a need to rotate too much. Wonder will Bundee and Bealham be rested due to RWC involvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Hawkshaw 12 (if no Forde), Farrell 13 Smith 15 Bolton 11 Jennings 14 Porch 23

Physically, Jennings is a big guy, has seemed good under the high ball AFAIK, talented hurler which should help on that front as well. I wonder if we might take a proper look at him at 15, obviously it's a big task given the level of defensive reading involved, but that'll be true of anyone and I'd like to see him tried.

• Advertisement

Have to admit I was a bit puzzled with the lack of gametime Jennings was provided with considering his cameos were very impressive.

The Lyon game is a chance to change things up a bit and see what's possible. Wouldn't mind seeing Jennings, Bolton, Farrell, Daly, Porch, Forde, McDonald. Think that could work really well

Anyway I'm taking the flight to Lyon. And I think this a huge opportunity to play things differently

Have a great trip. Lyon is well know for its food in general, and the local cuisine is pretty hearty, you should ask for recommendations where you're staying. Otherwise here's a piece about traditional Lyonais 'Bouchons' which are the local version of the bistrot:

Haven't been to any of them, just want to convey the flavour.

As for the game, I think we have the monkey off our back with the Munster victory, expectations are low, so scope to be experimental with the selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

ddyAt the end of the day,defence of Connacht was functioning at latest game.

So I think that if Lyon use weaker side FW(as same as against Montpellier), Connacht will get a chance for the win. Even if they use stronger (heavier) FW(as same as against Bordeaux), Connacht could get a close game.

I am a bit surprised that Kyle Godwin was at CTB in Lyon alongside Botha (ex Munster) and Paddy Jackson. As a experiment I hope DRM at LHT and Illo at THP. Because Connacht should aim to win over Treviso (away) using some heavy props.

Why move DRM over to LHP? He hasn't played there since 2016, and it's a very different position so players can't just move from one to the other.

If you want to rotate, there's Jordan Duggan and Matthew Burke. The latter started many games for us in 21/22 season due to Buckley's extended absence with an ACL and acquitted himself well. Unfortunately since then he's had his own injury issues, and Dooley has pushed him down the chart, but he was good when given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

Sorry, it's my mere randam idea. Maybe coaches have no intention. I think that Connacht will need heavier LHPs next season for upgrade their rank in the league.

It's a funny thing about rotation. Most folks seem to think that rotation is a means of rest for players. But rotation is really about competition. It provides players an opportunity to break into the team. It provides new ideas, it provides new ways. Rotation is never about rotation. It's how teams flower.

Injuries happen, but just reacting to injuries is missing the value of rotating your squad. And if your coach is unwilling to change then that's where the problem starts. No such issue at Leinster. I wonder why that is?

Mack Hansen out for 4 months apparently - had surgery on a dislocated shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Huge blow. The back three seem cursed this season. Cordero injured in pre season and it's been one injury after another since.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Grim news. Although the likes of Ralston and Bolton have stood up it's a fair blow to potentially not have Mack, Kilgallen or Cordero back for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Terrible news.

It is I guess a chance for someone to stand up for both us & Ireland, this is the sort of situation where sometimes talent can emerge.

No more than Ralston getting cited for his challenge on O'Donoghue, Hodnett surely has to be cited for this. In from the side, no wrapping and full impact on the limb of the opposing player. Both attempted tackles were exactly the same other than the limb they hit. Both incredibly dangerous with potential damage levels extremely high

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Ralston likely to join the list of back 3 players unavailable. No news of the result of his citing hearing.

I note that there has been almost no discussion in the press about the Hodnett clearout which resulted in Mack's injury. Meanwhile the IT runs a whole piece by Owen Doyle enraged at the fact that Ralston was given yellow and not red for the clearout on JOD.

The media throws red meat to the teams with plenty of eyeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Probably because one was a card offence and the other wasn't.

Hodnett was, under a strict application of the law, penalty only for in from the side. Even in the modern game, he probably squares up enough initially to make it legal. What has been done wrong (other than Hansen popping his shoulder) that makes it even close to a card?

Wilkins is only trying to muddy the waters and take the attention of the performance by calling out the Hodnett incident and it's strange how some people are actually buying it.

The "different limb" is the key though since targeting the lower limbs is a penalty in it's own right (see Darcy Swain, I think, for precedent).

There is no foul play law for "clearing the shoulder/arm area". There is for targeting the lower limbs. That's the way it is.

The penalty wasn't given against Hodnett it was given against Murray for holding on. But yes, Hodnett did come in at the side, didn't wrap, and injured his target in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Unavailable backs

Blade (Return to play), Reily, Forde, Mack, Cordero, TOH, Kilgallen

Might need to dip into the academy lads this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Not saying you're wrong here or that posters calling for Hodnett to be cited are right, but I do want to clarify one thing. During the match the referee was clear that the reason Ralston was being carded was that he had performed an illegal action which had resulted in player ending up injured. He deemed side entry was that illegal action at no point was targeting the lower limb mentioned.

In terms of the media I did see that Joe or balls or one of those online rags did have a piece trying to create outrage by linking Hansens injury to Hodnetts tackle and I really don't like it, full disclosure I haven't read it but can tell from the headline what kind of article it will be.

My main issue with the 2 clear outs is my biggest bug bear with rugby in general, regardless on if Connacht are playing or not, and that's inconsistency. There were 2 rucks that resulted in an injured players but only 1 was reviewed by the TMO.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The problem with both ruck clean outs is the players entered with their heads below their hips, drove downwards and went off their feet.

Something that is technically illegal but is never ever whistled

Advertisement