Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How that Weckler has any credibility is beyond me. He's never shown to know anyting about anything with the exception of Apple products.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

Everything was daft then, but I’m really just assuming we are talking about someone who bought new in 2020 or 2021 and is changing now.

Mind you in the US it seems Toyota and Honda are plagued with dealers price gouging on new Hybrids, the Rav4 prime as it’s called being a particular victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

as i said if the new ev has had a price cut, which many have, then the decrease in the value of the ev you are trading is potentially mitigated leaving you no worse off than if the price cut and the increased depreciation never happened.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Looking at some guidelines, a 3-year-old car should be sitting at around 58% of its original price, and 49% for a 4-year-old. I think that's roughly the prices we're seeing for EVs. A more legitimate story on EV depreciation would show's that EVs are just cars and are following standard depreciation curves, probably one for a slow news day.

ID.3's were on sale starting from 33k, is anyone that surprised they are showing up from around 22k now?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's interesting that the curve is linear normal depreciation, if you remove approx 18 months of overinflated prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Logic would suggest that over the last 3 years those of us buying EVs were buying them brand new so they will be depreciating faster than ICEs for that reason

With that being said the main dealers seem to be artificially inflating the prices on their websites of their second hand ICE models which might not help matters either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have an ID.3 1st and the current trade in value is about 47% of the original price at 3.25 years old.

If I sold it privately at just under 20k I would be close to the 58% you mention.

Either way I wouldn't have expected it to worth much more than 50% of its original value at this stage. But up to a couple of months ago the trade in offers were much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ok, am update to this thread since I started it about 3 weeks ago and things have become clearer, yes there are massive price drops in valuations being given for trade ins but new prices have dropped just as much.

Went into a vw dealer for another reason today and checking out my cupra born, I was given a cost of 12k to go from a 222 Born to a 241 id3 base model whatever it was called. I'd have the pick of a few different ones they had in stock, and its the new id3.

Then passing by my own dealer, I decided to see what they'd offer me and I was given 11.5k cost to change into a new Born v1, mine is also a v1.

I have it about 18 months now. I'd imagine with no further shocks to the market it would be more or less the same as I bring it up to 2 years old, maybe a grand or 2 more as we approach 242 plates.

So cost to change into something very similar is about 11.5 to 13.5k over 18 months to 2 years. Although it has depreciated by more as I paid more than a new one costs now, but that's largely irrelevant.

That's about normal I'd say, 33% or theresbouts in 2 years from new.

Will obviously be different with private sales and with other dealers.

I'd say don't entertain any brands that are still charging 2023 prices, we seem to be back to 2021 for new prices before all the increases, they seem to be reversing on them.

All in all, not as bad as feared

thanks for the update and reinforces what i was saying, in certain cases at least the increase in depreciation is offset by the decrease in the new car price.

€12k cost to change at a main dealer to go up 2 years on a car in the €30-40k is great going, @Buddy Bubs . Nothing to see here folks, thread closed 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm guessing there's still a focus on shifting existing new stock, wonder will it last when they are taking orders and building cars.

given the pressure the distributors tend to put on them to take cars and pre reg them for a lot of models they will always have stock to shift imo.

My phev cost 4k less to go from 22 to 24 on a 55k car. I’m still right. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Ev fan

I think you are spot on on the depreciation of EVs. My 211 ID3 which I traded in Feb last year for close to eur 33k went for sale at 38k (37k new price). Over the last 10 months it has dropped a few times in price to 28k the last time I checked. I think it has to drop further to maybe 25k at which point it will have a better chance of selling. That's close to 40% depreciation which would be 'normal' for a 3 Yr old car. IMO the same depreciation applies to all the other 3 Yr old ID3s currently for sale. Nothing extraordinary about it other than normal depreciation rules apply again.

A 55k PHEV Toyota? You were ripped off the first time you bought. The dealer is hardly going to keep doing that or you would buy another make 😂

Same price as an equivalent model y, but with a free actual engine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is a Model Y not €44k?

Edit. Could have swore there were black MY’s for €44k earlier, maybe sold?

€46k in blue it is then.

That model Y is not only missing an engine, but is also short awd and a bit of midrange grunt the rav has.

The dual motor is the closest comparator.

Both cars are 300bhp so thought they would be similar in performance?

6s V 6.9s to 60 in favour of the Rav

But MY tops out higher.

AWD was €50k yesterday. Now €52k. Tesla increasing their prices at the moment removing their discounts

And you forgot the thousands you save per year on fuel, maintenance, tax, insurance, @Gumbo. And I have no doubt a €46k Model Y will have lower depreciation than a €55k PHEV Toyota RAV4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭allinthehead

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Does that mean our used Y’s are worth 2k more than yesterday ? 🙏😂

Possibly 😀

But don’t post that out loud in this thread 😀

Same price as a civic and less than a crv. The price differential between Toyotas and the Lexus equivalents isn’t much anymore either, and a better car than an x3.

a 46k model y wouldn’t have done what I needed. Running costs are the same. Rav lost 4k per annum which made it a cheap car bar the upfront cost (it was prob closer to 50k mind, I can’t recall as I traded a civic against it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

You’re correct they had some in inventory for 44k I was looking at the all black with induction wheels for €45750 only last week.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

How much would you save on insurance?

Ditto tax?

Maintenance on a new car?

Fuel - if it's mostly electric you drive on then mightn't be much.

Depreciation, who knows!

I'm not sure where you are getting the "thousands" from.

over 35k kms:

Insurance: €350 x2

maintenance: €500 (2x tyres)

fuel: approx 10 tanks of petrol, : €500, about €1500 in electricity as my plan wasn’t always optimal.

Pretty much it.

@maidhc - "a 46k model y wouldn’t have done what I needed"

We know that. Regularly driving 700km in Ireland without passing a single fast charge point. That's why I recommended an EV is not for you.

I admit I am not that familiar with the current state of the non-Tesla public charging network in Ireland, particularly outside of the motorway and national road network, but I still find it hard to imagine that trip is even possible 😁

Actually I was thinking of awd. I don’t exactly live on a bus route, and I have relied up my (utterly wonderful) 03 landcruiser j95 many times in the past 8 or so years. I wanted my wife to have at least something similar. The rav can wade to 500mm, and has a pretty decent electronic approximation of a set of locking diffs.

btw the server cabinet you sold me is still in use, as are the Poe switches. I sold the w201s after the 2.0 was vandalised and I realised I rather doing up 6.8l John Deere’s over 1990 mercs. The plan is now to pick up something like a 968 or a 944 in good order.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Intersting.

In March 2020, the Eniro was 41.5k (and a €500 supervalu voucher if ordered in '19), AFAIK it did actually get cheaper at the end of 2020 too.

49% for a 4 yr old car puts it at 20.33k.. Lets not mention I also have about 110k km on it right now.

Advertisement