Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment 2023/2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Grace259

Anyone know how long it takes for the medical to come back, and do they contact you through email or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WestEire00

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jcoyne22

They also sometimes tell you at the end of the medical if you pass just depends on where it was done and who is doing it 👍. Seen post from last campaign that some did get notice and some didn't. Doesn't make much odd i think as they still processed. Hope it helps.

Anyone know of any reasons to fail it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Ciano1997

Hey guys,

I got my medical results back today & the cheif medical officer wants me to take the eye test again but by the local opticians with glasses & without. Did anyone ever have there application rejected by this?

4 weeks Friday gone grace

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ste91

Did an intake start this week or will it be January?

Their induction was on the 27th Dec for Jan 2024 in take ste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 D-Reg14

Only 109 for this intake a lot less than the previous two

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynch1990

Has there been a whatsapp group setup for april intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 19thhole

Hi Guys,

Has there been a what’s app group for April intake hopefuls?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 2023recruit

Dm me your number and il add you

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Are male Garda allowed to have long hair?

I can't find an answer online - this is the one thing that's preventing from applying because I don't want to cut my long luscious hair :(

If that's the deciding factor for you I wouldn't bother to apply as clearly you don't want the job that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 vesta.g

Hello everyone. I failed my first fitness test and I have my next one on Saturday, I'm not confident I will pass it this time either, will they give me a third chance to try it or is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ruralevent101

Did you get any of the parts?

You can appeal it and try get a 3rd attempt. But if you can't get the fitness test how will you manage in the college I you can't meet the minimum requirements ar you sure you would want to do it as fitness is a big part if you can't manage that part on second attempt when you get an additional 10 weeks at least to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 8 vesta.g

Thank you for the reply. Yes I realise my level of fitness is not great but I was just curious to know the answer.

Yea not having a go mate. Just if you full sure you will fail perhaps you might be better to push it back a few weeks give you a bit more time. Or maybe you can appeal and get a 3rd attempt. Bit if you defer you might still be able to do that. Personally I'd defer if I thought I was going to fail the repeat just to give me a little more time

• Advertisement

I think it’s too late to defer if it’s on Saturday

Ring up and ask nothing to lose

So there was obviously the intake in Jan, does anyone know when the next one is?

April apparently

Just off the phone to HR they said April & then every 3 months after that begin July

U for April intake or what stage are you at?

Interesting because last year they did it every 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dianakk037

Can anybody tell me for sure, is it mandatory to stay overnight in college monday to Friday for the 33 weeks?

I have two dogs and I'm single, and leaving them for 4 nights is a struggle and my only reason for doubting to apply.

I've heard that Wednesday's they let you go home for the night, but how accurate is that, and is it the full 33/34 weeks living on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Depotdoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 WestCoastcool

The dogs will be thankful to see them on a Wednesday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jcoyne22

What do ye reckon our chances are of an intake offer when waiting on checks to come back for a last while. I know its totally dependent on your own circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 andreafarrelly00
    af2000

Hey guys. Is there a WhatsApp group yet for the next potential intake. I was in a gc but didn’t get the call for Jan 8th so still waiting. Shall we make one? I’m 2022 campaign and in February it’ll be two years since I applied to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mart123456789

Hi anyone know exactly what’s the story with bmi if it’s around 28 bit of fat ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SausageRoll7

They’ll either sign you off or you will have 3 months to get your BMI down. Mine was just over 25 and was signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dylann2

Hello just a quick question, passed fitness test going into my medical just wondering what the other stages left would be? I know there is a interview with the local station and a wait on the vetting but is there anything else that I should be preparing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mogoose10

New recruitment campaign starts next Monday 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SausageRoll7

No that’s it. And the “interview” is more of a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 npren

Hi, if i apply for this recruitment campaign, does anyone know when/what month the next stages will take place?

It's a long process, I would go in with the mindset that it will be at least a year before you are close to potentially getting a start date - it all depends as well on the panel number and batch number you receive after interview, I was top 50 in batch 1 and I am still in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Marty1476

anyone else in my age bracket (40) considering going again for the new recruitment campaign?

I waited nearly 4 years for a reply only to be rejected on a small mistake on my form B, granted it was during covid when everything shut down but not sure I can put myself through the process of waiting so long again. I applied in 2018 and only received a rejection in 2022 after passing everything bar vetting for a simple error on my form.

What's the current wait period from start to finish these days, it used to be around 9-12 months from initial application

Yea you're still looking at 9 to 12 months and that's dependant on batch and oom number

• Registered Users Posts: 32 puntcuncher

Hey Marty, Could you tell me what this mistake was? Fecking dreading the thought of anymore delays with my current application!

Has anyone from this campaign been offered an intake date yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Alfaguy

Isn't this thread a great resource for would be recruits. I recall I applied for the guards first in 1978 when I was 18 but failed the maths in the aptitude test. I was always useless at maths. Next recruiting campaign was not until 1980 so I applied again. By then they had changed the rules so if anybody had passed their leaving certificate - which I had - english, Irish, maths and two other subjects minium you did not have to do the aptitude test. So I applied again.

I failed my first medical due to some skin infection and was not called back for a second medical for about a year - then a lot of more waiting and waiting. Did not get into Templemore until January 26th 1983. So I was really trying to get in for 5 years. What a great feeling it was though to finally have made it - my lifelong dream job. Retired as a sergeant in 2013.

It would have been great to have the internet and talk to other applicants back then. Instead I was all in the dark about what was happening.

So hang in there - be patient and follow your dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Anonymous4321

Hi, first time poster on this thread. Just a quick question,

Will there be a new thread made for the recruitment drive launching today, or will conversations continue on this one?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Jimmy113

Hi there. Would anyone have any idea on what the maths is like? Is it worth doing one of the on- line courses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

Is it absolutely insane to step away from current life and family with one kid to go join the guards at 40? I suppose always in the back of my head I'd have thought about it but never didn't anything about it. Now it's opened up again im thinking about going for it.

I guess there's such negativity about the force and people leaving everyday is truly that bad or does it depend where your stationed etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dublindriver33

Absolutely not!!!

I'm 45 and applying, I was in the reserves for 10 years and loved every minute of it, I had to take step back due to family issues.

When I was a reserve there was a moratorium on recruitment, when it opened up again I was a few months too old!

So this is my first opportunity to go for the full time in the upper age limit.

I also have a full time job which I have been in for the last 24 years, a wife and two kids but it's something I have wanted for a long time

• Advertisement
Advertisement