Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭dmcdona

I think it may have been a US report just hours after the bombing that said the bombing (a double tap) was not the modus operandi of Israel. Whether they were involved in any other way is speculation though.

I heard a snippet on RTE news this evening that Israelis know Netanyahu's credibility is shot and after this is over, so is he.

Perhaps that's why it is in his and other Israeli politicians interests to keep this going as long as possible.

I did also note in December that his prosecution for corruption is still going ahead even during the conflict. And with the SC throwing out the judicial reform legislation, his days do very much appear to be numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you claim you aren't anti semitic, but continually use phrases like "blood thirst", "bloodlust" "blood letting" and even (as seen on here yesterday) "satanic" in relation to Israel and no other countries involved in a war, then you probably are anti semitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Who on this thread is continually using phrases like those? You were at this yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭dmcdona

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Interesting. And are the uses of those words only antisemitic when used in relation to Israel, or just in general associated with antisemitic.

Do you not remember when your head guy told all his followers to "remember Amalek"? ....... the passage from their bible which orders them to go and kill every man, woman, child and beast of their enemy?

This old zionist bullying trope of trying to shut down any legitimate criticism by shouting "antisemitism" is really tiresome. It is usually followed by an attempt to reclaim fake victimhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Palestine will be free" sounds like a nationalist chant to me.

Did the Irish nationalists / republicans of 1916-21 define themselves in terms of being "anti-English" or "anti-British"? The Proclamation doesn't mention the English or British even once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

You hear what you want to hear.

I can remember at the time Nasser reportedly boasting of throwing the Israelis into the sea.

(even then denied and obfuscated -the victors write the history books and so he did not claim ownership of those words in the cold light of day )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would still say the Palestinians are primarily a nationalist movement striving for independence. Describing them as driven solely by anti-Semitism seems an attempt to muddy the waters by Israel (and yes to dehumanise them...it suggests they are mostly bigots). Very few nationalist movements define themselves by hatred for their occupier or have it as their raison d'etre.

If you are going to kill the king you have to be sure that you kill him the first time.

It seems that the Arabs had not learned this .

Just when it seemed that the lesson might finally be being learned , the corpse of that ambition has been taken hostage by religious extremists with their own agenda ( and potentially on both sides apparently if the religious parties in Israel shoehorn themselves into undeserved relevance).

I have no idea what would happen if outside parties decided to "let them at it" .

History suggests to me that Israel would prevail one way or another.

Israel outlines its plan after the war is ended

"Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant has outlined proposals for the future governance of Gaza once the war between Israel and Hamas is over.

There would, he said, be limited Palestinian rule in the territory.

Hamas would no longer control Gaza and Israel would retain overall security control, he added."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

In the original Arabic the second line is “Palestine will be Arab”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sigh..... (because you seem to like that word)

Read what I posted. It's well known that many victims were buried without any autopsy. Many of the alleged rape victims were buried without any forensic evidence being taken. I'm not denying that rape/sexual assault occurred. I'm saying that the Israeli government shot themselves in the foot when they allowed victims to be buried before a proper investigation had taken place.

The vast majority of the evidence that crimes took place are the statements of witnesses who claimed to have seen it take place or the aftermath. But in any criminal care witness statements are the least reliable types of evidence. For anyone to claim that no sexual assaults took place every single one of those witnesses would have to be lying. I think that's highly unlikely, close to impossible because of the volume. But the lack of forensic evidence, autopsies, photographs, DNA swabs etc means that if it were an actual criminal case, it would be thrown out of any court.

NGO's and groups that deal with violence against women have said that Israel have provided very little evidence to back up the claims of widespread assaults. This just hurts the israeli claims.

I mentioned Ukraine because there were loads of sexual assaults committed by russian troops. Every single victim is documented. Every bit of forensic evidence that can be gotten is gathered and saved. That's the way this should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

And are you sure that “every piece of forensic evidence” was gathered in the first three days of the Ukraine war?

Or are you seriously comparing a months-long strategy with what happened in the immediate aftermath of the initial attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"NGO's and groups that deal with violence against women have said that Israel have provided very little evidence to back up the claims of widespread assaults. This just hurts the israeli claims."

Israel have provided very little evidence because Israel has very little evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Listening to todayfm yesterday in the way to work. The top of the hour news put an an academic about the recent massacre in Iran. He speculated that and paraphrasing here ‘ Israel doesn’t carry out assassinations like this but if they have done this act to target innocent civilians then this will destabilise the whole region’

I actually shouted at the radio ‘What the actual f…? That is pure speculation.’

Who put that on the air? You might as well put me on saying Elvis could’ve carried out this attack, it’d be as accurate as what was broadcast. Whatever people think of Israel, it is not on to pin any act against Arabs or Muslims on them with zero evidence. Even worse that a news agency would broadcast this reckless opinion.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't think Elvis would have the same record of either rhetoric, threats, or actual attacks against Iran or Iranians compared to the Israelis record though. So he would probably be further down the list of suspects to be fair.

It also probably unlikely that other countries base their major policy decisions, or declarations of war, based on interviews on todayfm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Again, (sigh...) read the Haaretz article I provided you. Circumstances and laws required swift burials, and the area in question wasn't secured either. There is testimony from witnesses to the rapes, as well as a few survivors. If anything it's better documented than what happened in Russia, especially when the work in Russia to document the events could take place after the occupying force had left.

The Israeli government did not 'shoot itself in the foot.' The crimes are well documented, Hamas is guilty of horrific sexual violence. Just let it go, take you shots at the Israeli government from other directions.

Aaron Mate of the grayzone. Another Hamasnik.

Why hasn't the UN started investigations? The Haaretz article I posted explains what happened in great detail, but deny away, send your daughters to the next Rave in Gaza, they'll be fine.

(https://archive.is/RIfq0)

Might be hard to find rape victims that are still alive. This was Hamas, after all, and they documented shooting them and their commanders urged them to 'soil them.'

Got a question, gave an answer. Get over yourself.

Every bit of evidence was gathered as soon as they could. That's the point. If they could have gathered it earlier, they would have. They take evidence gathering seriously. The israelis did zero evidence gathering. No autopsies, no documenting of injuries, no dna swabs, nothing. That's shameful.

You could literally present the men who committed the rapes to the israeli police/military and there's not a scrap of evidence documented to say that they did it or in many cases to document that it even happened.

• Advertisement

So the Haaretz article you post is correct but the Haaretz article anyone else posts is incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

the israelis won't have any problem manufacturing evidence, of that you can be sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That seems to be more Gallant's suggestion rather than the actual plan but at least it sounds much better than what's been coming out of other prominent ministers recently, let's see what the response to it is.

That's an eye witness. Read what I said. The israeli government didn't document any physical evidence. That guy could be lying. Like I said, with so many reporting it, I don't believe they could all be lying. Sexual assaults happened but there's no evidence except witnesess and that's the worst kind of evidence.

I finally got to read the article you provided (Archive wouldn't load yesterday and the other link is paywalled for me)

“Questions are asked like: Is there or isn’t there semen? Was there or wasn’t there a rape kit? Those same female jurists with international reputations who are conducting this discussion apparently do not have a basic understanding of international law. International law does not talk the language of the individual case. My call to them is to look beyond those denial mechanisms. You are facing a bunch of respected women and telling them that shocking crimes were committed here. Am I the one who needs to provide the evidence for the terrorists’ deeds? What kind of travesty is it that they are imposing the burden of proof on me?

That's the woman who's leading the collection of evidence about sexual crimes comitted on the day of the attacks. The bold is mine. Yes, she does need to provide evidence. She's standing up and saying that crimes are committed. She does need to present evidence to support her accusations. And the people who she's responding to there are women who work for NGO's that specialize in gender based violence. They know what they're asking for. It's their job to do this. And it should be the job of the woman who's collecting evidence to actually collect evidence, search for more evidence and present it to the world.

She does say where they're getting their evidence.

Material is being gathered from a large number of sources. “We are collecting materials of every sort – pictures, audio files, videos, testimonies and newspaper reports,” says Dr. Sarai Aharoni, head of the Gender Studies Program at Ben-Gurion University, who heads the commission’s documentation team. “The aim is to establish a factual infrastructure and also to better understand circumstances of the venues where specific crimes occurred.”

But at no point does she say she's collecting forensic evidence. She's relying on eyewitness testimony and newspaper reports. I don't know if any of the video/picture evidence shows a crime being committed, because it doesn't say. I don't need to see or hear that evidence, but I do want someone who's seen it to say what they saw. Someone who can say clearly that they've seen a video of the crime being committed and that this evidence exists.

Now, once again, I'm not saying that it didn't happen. I'm saying it's shoddy work. There wasn't a single rape kit used. Not a single autopsy of any victim. Those things don't have to be done on the battlefield. They can be done before the body is cleaned and prepared for the funeral.

BTW, there's nothing in that article that stated there's a law that made anyone bury any body. There was nothing that said why a burial couldn't be delayed. There was nothing that said why they didn't conduce a port mortem.

Are all IDF soldiers perverts? Is he admitting to stealing money? Hopefully he gets arrested if he returns to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

was there a poster up the thread a day or two ago basically denying people were questioning the rapes? hopeless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Like the media speculation about who launched the rocket in the hospital carpark which set off mobs all over the ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Aaron Mate from the Greyzone, appeared frequently with Tucker Carlson.

A perfectly trustworthy source.... NOT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Will be interesting if other parties front up now, post-this war. Especially countries like Egypt.

Perhaps Ireland can send some of its soldiers to keep the peace? Or is the best we can do is give out?

Advertisement