Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

VW Ireland have updated the build configurator for the new model ID4 with the new prices.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That seems impressive value for the top spec pro plus compared to older pricing. Certainly make an ‘old model’ 241 at 41k special offer look very poor value.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The VW configurator always seems to omit the delivery charge. The product guide is always the source of truth for the actual on-the-road pricing.

The configurator doesn’t seem to allow you select any optional extras either. And the pricing of extras is all “TBC” in the product guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

41K for a meagre power old model doesn't seem great now does it? No wonder he was being pushy.

• Advertisement

The GMFV of €25,269 (assuming it's accurate) is a bit on the high side imo. While it helps to keep the monthlies a bit lower, it also means your 3 year old ID4 won't have a great deal of equity at the end of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was just about to post the same thing.

It's the kinda deal to walk into expecting to have no equity at the end. Might be as good an idea as any in the current market. Very surprised they are setting the gmfv that high.

Why does the seai grant as mentioned not appear to reduce the finance figures?

I think they treat the SEAI grant separately? Is it refunded / given back to the buyer or maybe used to artificially inflate your trade in? Someone who's bought one of these in the past might clarify!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Up the top goes from 47500 to 44000 after SEAI, no?

Edit

Sorry see not in the PCP.

Assume you've to put deposit and then get it back?

if you look down at the finance figures, the PCP calculation is based on the 47.5K, not the 44K. So the question is, is this how VW actually do it and if so, where does the 3.5K grant fit in?

• Advertisement

Have any current ID4 owners on here got the panoramic roof? I'm wondering if it's just a fixed pane of glass or is it tilt and slide? Anyone remember what it cost to spec in the previous model? The current configurator / product guide doesn't have a price on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Donall.ID.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

It looks like only the 4.9% PCP and 6.9% HP rates are available now. The 0% financing is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

My GMFV is even higher at €26,500 so when my 3 years are up in 2026 I expect to have zero equity. Raging! I’ll need an 8 year credit union loan to pay the final payment! Better start saving!!

Post edited by BlazingSaddler on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

You should be delighted really. You’ll have zero equity but it will be worth a fair bit less that the GMFV, probably more like 20k, so you can plan to hand it back and either save for a deposit for a new pcp, or get a loan to buy a cheaper one with same spec at the time. I.e VW will have taken an actual 6.5k hit on your cars value , whereas you just have a paper loss

Thank you. I hadn’t actually thought about it that way!, good point. So I plan for replacing it with a 20k car at the end of the PCP instead of buying this one outright for 26.5k. I feel totally betrayed by VW to be honest but I guess I knew the risks coming into a PCP deal (or like many people probably didn’t think it through too well and just got taken in by the low monthly payments!) You live and learn I suppose.

Not sure why you feel betrayed by anyone as you’ve effectively got “some” protection from severe depreciation. With a PCP, you are literally renting a new car on a monthly basis for the term agreed. You then have various options to rent another new car, buy out the current one etc. New cars are an expensive luxury item that lose their value. If you’re not prepared to take such a hit, drive a second hand car.

Betrayed that they knocked 10k off the price of a car I bought only 9 months ago I guess! Like I said though, I’m a big boy now, knew the risks and I hear you regarding the depreciation protection.

• Advertisement

I don’t think anyone should feel “delighted” that they can just hand the car back. To me, that’s a fallback, really a last resort.

You probably put a hefty enough deposit (or trade in) into the deal at the start and then 18-20k in monthly repayments. I’d personally be a bit sore handing the car back and getting the bus home after all that!

I think the ideal PCP scenario is you put 15-20% into it as a deposit / trade-in and you have roughly that 15-20% equity in the car at the end, allowing you to go again with similar terms as before.

It’s generally not realistic to expect 30% equity so if you have to put that in upfront in order to afford the monthly repayment, well then you’re stretching yourself beyond your means imo. But having zero equity at the end or even negative equity is not good and something has gone very wrong in those cases imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

PCP is only a way on structuring payments, but it just shows when you go into it assuming you'll only have car for 3 years how it can go wrong. Happened before when sterling cars became cheaper with currency movements around 2016/17 I think it was. Then over last few years people did really well because their cars were worth much more with the market shortages.

Shows how PCP allows people drive cars they normally otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.

My own car has taken a 7k reduction in price new since I bought it in 2022 but because I'm not on PCP I'm just keeping it, I don't have a balloon payment I need to pay or refinance.

I reckon it will all level out as the market settles, the depreciation seen from cars bought in 22 and 23 will very much slow down.

An id4 is going to be in great demand in the 20 to 30k price range for a while to come yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

The chain around your leg with a PCP is the ever increasing balloon as you move from PCP to PCP, and I’d say VERY few balloon payments are ever simply paid off in cash -

someone posted the VW website yesterday for an ID4 PCP that was only €337/pm monthly. It’s very attractive, but it has a €25k balloon (and not forgetting €4k of finance interest, making it a very expensive car).

that balloon doesn’t exist in a bank account in most cases, and the driver will look to kick that can again in 3 years time.

eventually they’ll have an insurmountable balloon and will be handing the keys back, and revert back to a €10k car loan and an older car.

and that’s the PCP game - thanks for playing :)

Agree generally but this is the rare case when the new car is now costs less than the 9 month old one on PCP. So ‘delighted’ in that you have the option to take up. As opposed to if you bought it outright with a 5 year loan with say 10% deposit, you would have to keep the car forever in theory as you will always owe more than what it is worth.

I did the ‘half rule ‘ hand back on a HP back in the day, they made it as difficult as possible because it was great for me. I’d imagine VW will be trying to cook something up for PCP cars as it’s more of a disaster for them than the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Has there ever been a case that a discount was given on the gmfv/balloon if value has dropped?

Allowing the PCP hirer buy the car outright for a settlement figure closer to what they could buy a used one in the open market?

Cheapest used ID.4 I’ve seen in a while. Big battery & good spec on it. https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35991393

Volkswagen ID.4 1st 204HP Auto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

45 including delivery charge and including the grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

But when you go to buy another, the new one will be €10k cheaper so the cost to change may still be the same. It may only be a loss on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The grant will probably go next year which will add 3500 onto new cars..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If doing any kind of discounting at end of a pcp, they would generally offer an inflated trade in value against a new car taking some if the pain away from customer and selling another car at the same time.

Don't forget if gfmv was higher than price of similar car on open market, you would just hand the car back at end of term and walk away.

Advertisement