Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good news. Yes it is and in the heart of winter too. I wonder when Met Eireann will update their long range forecast. Perhaps if tonight's ECM is good they might change it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I just hope I get snow here in carrick , if anything I want a northerly rather than an easterly but we shall see how it pans out

If we get a robust high into Greenland we should hopefully get a Northerly at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree with this.

However, it is far better for the Country generally to have a 3 or 4 day whiteout, where nobody even tries to move, than pissy, melty, night time freezy, daytime top up with a bit of graupel, where people do have to move around but the roads and paths are lethal early and late.

Go big, or go back to Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

They will be updating the long range at around 4pm tomorrow. It will be this weekend I would say before they give any one liner outro re: next weekend into the middle of the month in their daily forecasts. ECM looking good out to 120hrs with retrogression of the high towards Greenland

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Not really. Probably get a red alert and extra fuel allowance for the needy.

Ride it out for a few days at home. We did it grand during COVID

And of course the usual panic buying of a product like bread or toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

That could easily give a spell of light snow along the South Coast on Tuesday!! In fact as there is model agreement of minus 8s skirting the South I think it's more than likely. Watch the ppn charts pick it up once uppers remain as they are. PS, just relevant to Cork 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

The Cork snow shield will hold..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

And there it is, the infamous 'Cork snow Shield', it was only a matter of time before that came up 🤣

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The 12z ensembles are interesting from both the GFS and GEM. Both have upgraded the cold potential with less in the way of milder runs so less scatter to deal with. Both operational runs are not outliers as there are colder members.

Looks largely dry until January 15th and after that we have a wetter trend but given how cold it looks on this ensemble graph most of that would be snow if this verified. An outside chance of some light snow flurries especially around the 8th to 10th of January in the short term.

Not as much scatter on the GEM compared to previous days as many of the milder runs after January 15th have now been eliminated.

The mild upper air temperatures between 10th and 14th of January are mostly due to high pressure but with inversion most likely it won't be mild here on the surface.

The CFS is also now going for cold weather and looking at the extended we stay mostly cool or cold until February 26th with only brief milder interludes lasting not much more than a day or two.

The NAO/AO are set to remain negative, although there is a trend back towards neutral on the NAO while the AO is set to remain firmly negative with some of the scatter going to record breaking levels of negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

It seems like all roads are leading to cold like they did in the run up to the 2010 cold spells. Hopefully they continue to.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Like what was said last night and to put it in layman's terms,if there is a NE flow from Scandinavia, if it has the surface temperatures it has now,you'd be mainlining a freezing surface air feed

In those circumstances minus 2 850's would still deliver snow albeit maybe marginal on the coast

If this pattern continues and our high plays ball,the surface air might be enough to trump sea surface temps that otherwise might turn things rainy sleet on coasts

It would be game on big time a small bit inland

Showers if pressure drops a bit could be massive ala 2010 if some of those FI charts verified and do ya know to be brutally honest,I think somethings coming*

*Not to be confused with a ramp 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The one thing I will say is that if this does verify and we do end up with those bitter north-easterlies from January 15th that the level of cold could feel more severe than the February/March 2018 event due to time of year as this is the heart of winter and not the start of Spring. Melting would not be an issue if we get uppers of -8 and beyond.

Another thing is we are going to have 10 days at least without rainfall and some severe night frosts along the way so the ground is going to be rock solid and relatively dry compared to what it is like now. This would mean instant lying of snow and some probably very low night time temperatures so some brutal cold isn't out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Well reeling in the years just showed 2010 and called it a one in 50 year event.

Lets see..........

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't bother with specifics especially temperature at this range. It's all about trends and a lot of boxes are being ticked for cold. We'll be seeing plenty of variations of different degrees of potential severity in the days ahead.

If you focus on specifics it will drive you crazy.

Latest ECM update is looking good.

The next 7 days as we know will be high pressure dominated for us.

Week 2 is when we expect the high to move further north and west with perhaps lower pressure over us bringing in wintry showers or possibly snow at times.

Large pinches of salt from here.

Final week of January sees a Scandinavian/Siberian high type scenario.

1st week of February the high moves east to west and sets up back over Greenland.

Weeks 5 and 6 have weak signals been so far out but they still show a Greenland high in place.

I find it hard to believe we could end up with the final 7 weeks of winter properly dominated by northern blocking with both Greenland and Scandi highs in play at all times. I'm sure the Atlantic will try and get it's foot in the door at some point.

Clare (410ft asl)

Gfs holding firm with retrogression to Greenland and a northeasterner incoming on Sunday week.

Deep cold is fully over Ireland by the Monday. Quite the setup with heights extending from Newfoundland to Siberia. Polar air is spilling down to lower latitudes. Remarkable consistency across all models now. Maybe...

Bonkers setup in midwinter with a juggernaut of a snowmaker approaching out of Iceland

Getting that cold in next weekend is the key but it's a long way off yet. The difference in output compared to the 12z (below). Gfs is trying to grapple with all that is going on up north. Trend is your friend etc

Another plus for cold potential is the distinct lack of heights over Iberia or the mid continent allowing colder air from the north to flood south with greater ease

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement

GFS is apparently in 4th place in the verification stats. So I wouldn't be banking on this strange run verifying as it is. A potential snowmaker, yes, if that low does drop southeast but we also seem to lose the Greenland High at the same time. Still I wouldn't quipple if we got an epic snowfall as a result:)

Let's see if its well supported among its members

Clare (410ft asl)

That shortwave that emanates around Greenland is nuts as is its behaviour thereafter. It does show how the computer models are struggling.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Would it actually be a snowmaker..it has a long fetch to carry and likely milder air embedded? Anyhow long way off more than likely be gone in the run.

Clare (410ft asl)

Less favourable 850s are negated by previous deeper cold and the time of year. The wraparound on that system would produce snow either way.

Cold keeps going. This will be as big as a bust as I can remember if it all goes Pete tong.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Il take that 😀. Probably be no trace of it by then anyhow. Still all looking pretty good.

I really doubt a mad run like this will verify. I would love to be proven wrong though! The important thing is we have not seen any backtrack from the models or ensembles as of yet, the majority are still going for it .

Clare (410ft asl)

The mean remains intact irrespective of what this op run has shown at least. This is for Saturday week

The label suggests most members are backing an impending much colder intrusion from our north

Of the models that go out to 240 hours, here is what they are showing

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

Ensembles heading in the right direction if you're looking for colder weather with fewer milder members. Daytime 2m temps in low single figures beyond the weekend.

In the below chart, it will worth keeping an eye out for colder 850s and whether they start popping up in future runs for the 13th-15th period.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement