Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well the period prior to the Ukrainians coming here. Asylum seekers and refugees are terms used interchangeably. The Direct Provision scheme was set up deliberately to make it difficult for asylum seekers coming here.

That's why there's been a campaign to end it. That campaign is history! Direct Provision is here to stay. Conditions need to be kept difficult to discourage people from coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Dead right. Get those blinkers on asap.

If only there was a way to silence posters altogether.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What is this nonsense. 16 buildings burned down, numerous arson threats, numerous anti refugee gatherings, numerous times library workers have been harassed. There is a definite far right in Ireland.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

They are like some sort of super human group.

They are lazy and unmotivated people.

Yet they are like Charles Malson on social media with such Charisma spreading lies and gathering followers.

They are up on the move organising protests all over the country.

They are on the move all over the country burning down buildings.

They dont sound like lazy and unmovotivated people to me, when you consider their are about 100 of them.

If they get another 20 or 30 members then the country is truly in massive danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This is a government decision, Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Greens are all responsible for this. This is not the Greens or a Minister going rogue and doing this off their own back. All the parties in government agreed to this so all are responsible. I will agree with you that O'Gorman has made a complete and utter mess of it along with those other 2 incompetent ministers in McEntee in justice for not have the right security processes in place to manage this at the border and O'Brien in housing.

As much as I am hoping the Greens are made extinct in the next election, both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael also need to be held accountable for this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

While I agree, I would imagine that the offloading of all blame on to the Greens will begin as we move closer to an election.

The reasoning will be that they had to keep the Greens happy (despite their size) in order to keep the government functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That's pretty much what I think happened too. I posted what I thought had likely happened before and I'll C & P it here as I'm not typing it out again

----------------------------

To understand/guess where this might go, we need to think about what happened in the past

I'm seriously trying to get my head around how the hell we got here from a political perspective.

The 3 coalition parties do not have a mandate from the people to do what they're doing imo - A quick search of their 10 key points in each party's pre 2020 GE manifesto says nothing about immigration in general and nothing about the idea of mass invites to be sent out in multiple langues. Perhaps it's buried at the back of each manifesto - buggered if I'm reading through each one to find it

FF - https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0124/1110728-key-points-from-the-ff-general-election-manifesto/

FG -https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0124/1110709-key-points-from-fgs-election-manifesto/

GP - https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0125/1110908-greens-manifesto/

The below is just a theory

Following the 2020 GE, there were months of negotiations and this is where I think that scene was set. The Greens were in a strong position as the others panicked to keep power (especially from SF) - Govt formed by June 2020, 'Integration' brief added to O'Gorman's children dept Oct 2020 - Feb 2021 O'Gorman invites the rest of the world to join us for a fantastic time - this was just after our 'meaningful Christmas' and Covid was rampant so feck all opportunities to get here.

When things started to get back to some semblance of normality, Rodders invites are gleefully accepted and the sh!t really starts to hit the fan. This kinda goes under the radar a bit with just a few eyebrows raised. Roll on Feb 2022 and RU invades UA - We rightfully open up to UA refugees and for some unknown reason, offer them the highest welfare rates of any country - The system starts to buckle and panic sets in. Govt start to realise the severity of the omnishambles they have created. Had the war in UA not happened the asylum seeker issue would not be discussed at anywhere near the levels it has been up to recently (where govt seems to have controlled the media)

As this mess unfolded further, more and more people are asking WTF is going on? It all starts to get very messy. Then these highly paid and very intelligent selfless politicians with the help of their many, many highly paid and very intelligent advisers, decide that the best route to take is to gaslight the entire population by telling them that if they are against these policies, then they are most likely a big racist. This gaslighting goes on for months on end aided by a 99% complicit media - The penny has finally dropped now that this approach has not worked (on foot of the 3 recent polls showing the people aren't buying it) and it looks to me like the new angle is to stop talking about it completely. The only time the media will discuss it is when another protest kicks off and another spate of pearl clutching begins

My own opinion is that this policy was driven by the greens. They wanted and got the integration brief. They wanted and were allowed to try to import the rest of the world here - probably on the back of threats of collapsing the Govt if they didn't get their way. FFG were so afraid of losing power they acquiesced to their little partner in the coalition (7.5% of the Dáil) - the absolute spineless sh!ts. They thought they had a great plan where they could watch O'Gorman (in the wheelhouse laughing manically) as he steered the ship towards the iceberg knowing they could blame him, while they drank fine whiskeys and played cards below deck until one bright spark piped up, 'lads, I think there may be a flaw in our cunning plan here...'

The little green tail has been wagging the big govt dog for a good while now, not just wagging the dog but whacking its head off everything in the room in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is the very agenda of the far right. Put their extreme views on a range of subjects like immigration, vaccines and LGBT rights into the national discourse but then try and insinuate that these are "normal" and "common sense" opinions and even the views of the majority, whilst exclaiming how 'how dare you accuse us of being far right'.

The ideas we're hearing from them now are scarcely much different to what the National Front and the BNP were saying in Britain in previous decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Methinks both FF and FG will be happy to lay blame if they come under pressure come election... which I am sure they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its always the smaller party in the government that gets a kicking when election time comes around and in this case the Greens deserve to be wiped out but so do the other 2 parties in government with them.

All the parties in government come the next election will be pointing fingers are each other saying what a bad job each party has done, like FG pointing at FF and saying look at the mess of the health service and housing and then you will FF pointing at FG and saying what a mess they have made of Justice and law and order. Its all just pretend to be different to try win votes of the floating voter. Hopefully more people will see through it that fall for it, the other problem then is who to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Good post. Totally agree with it. Greens dig in though because Roddy has no problems going on Radio to tell us that we can expect 15,000 International Protection Applicants year on year. I am lost to understand why they would let him open his mouth except... thats right Roddy keep taking that dogmatic stanch... keep doubling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Hazel Chu just on the Claire Byrne show.

It really feels.like Fg/FF are delighted to let the Greens champion the immigration fight.

She was talking about BlackRock and the nursing home taking in 200 asylum seekers.

She mentioned consultantation is important but no one has a right to veto.

Residents will be families and security is there 24/7.

How can such a large nursing home be turned into a asylum centre? Where are the elderly going?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

They wont need nursing homes as they will be working until 75/80 to pay for the social welfare for the people being lobbed in everywhere to pay for their pensions.

Former nursing home - it has been vacant since 2020. Also, it apparently was never a mainstream nursing home for members of the public....it belonged to the Church of Ireland and was used to accommodate retired members of the faith (clergy and family members etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The elderly are lying in acute hospital beds even though they no longer have acute hospital needs. But there’s no where else they can go. Or, elderly people and their families have been pressured and duped into agreeing they go home even though families have no experience in managing the elderly persons complex needs.

The HSE care in the home department may sign off X amount of home care hours but when those carers don’t turn up, the managers in that department just shrug their shoulders and say “meh, nothing we can do about it” and leave for the evening/weekends knowing there are elderly people lying in soiled clothing and bedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Again though, I find myself asking why it is that people try so hard to distance themselves from being seen as holding far right views. When you see the daily stream on here and elsewhere about how immigration / refugee policy are apparently destroying the country and it's a massive emergency and should be a top priority to be dramatically changed — those views seem to couple pretty neatly with the views of the far right, who likewise share this alarmist view and who profess their determination to make radical policy changes in this area.

For whatever reason, if you go by what people say, then absolutely nobody is far right — even if their views seem to align. That could be deception, or it could be self-delusion .... or perhaps there is a tacit acceptance that the ends to which the far right aspire are far less palatable than the ends to which the apparent traitors of the centrist liberal mainstream political body aspire to. Might be food for thought for a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Pretty close in my opinion.

I also get the whiff of the Green ideology from most of these insane policies.

Whilst every electoral system has its strengths and weaknesses, this situation ( the disproportionate influence weilded by a party with a very low vote overall) is a result of the PR system. Not dissimilar to the carnage being wreaked by an equally unpopular Green party in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Jez Stazdas, i applaud your stamina, what happens when the church of Ireland retired memebers/ families get a lot older, won't they need people to take care of them in the place? So splitting hairs here wouldn't that be a type of nursing home, i like the way you nitpick the way out of things, you seem to be well versed in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Government had plenty of time to obtain the premises to accommodate elderly. But it looks like they had other priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The 'Far Right' are increasingly heard in government and business circles and indeed here from those looking to stamp out any alternative views and dissent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well if it is driven by new Green ideology, it's further evidence that they have turned their backs completely on traditional Green thinking.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - the Green Guide to Good Living. Traditionally Greens emphasise reducing consumption, reducing use of resources and one of the main vectors to deliver this is to reduce populations, whether human or bovine. Reducing population or maintaining it steady in equilibrium with nature/ Gaia is Green philosophy.

Assuming Ryan's boyos haven't gone completely bonkers, I wouldn't be too quick to apportion blame there. More likely the slightly unwilling mudguards for the business agendas of FGFF - there's money to be made in this refugee and immigrant business.

Why would the Green Party want refugees to come here? It's not even remotely a priority for them : they are all about saving the planet, use of renewable energy, the circular economy, improved public transport, helping the environment and ecosystems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

They want refugees to come here to reduce our per capita emissions which are the highest in Europe.

The more people in the country the lower our per head emissions will be.

That's green thinking for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Why would the Green Party want refugees to come here?

I have no idea. We might find out if someone in the media grew a pair and asked him [R'OG] why he invited 10's/100's of millions (in multiple languages) to come here for own door accom after a few months - Hasn't Ryan also been quoted saying he wants to increase the population to 8m?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Whatever about O'Gorman, I can't imagine it's Green Party policy. Green parties around Europe are usually concerned with environmental and ecological issues, definitely not with immigration and refugees (these are more issues for the left and far left).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It doesn't say 1.5 million Irish born people live abroad though. It says 1.5 million Irish citizens live outside Ireland.

So the maths your applying in your earlier comment is absolutely flawed in my opinion, your suggesting that twice the amount of people have left the country then have arrived in, therefore its all the fault of successive governments. Do not get me wrong, they have not helped but the population of Ireland is growing at a rapid pace and it not being helped by inward irregular migration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement