Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I drink cans of Guinness "raw" direct from the can. I've been told I'm "some scumbag".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A simple 45-degree pour into a pint glass gives you a perfect, creamy pint

Bingo.

I remember the days when you could only get Guinness in a bottle. It was absolutely disgusting. Looked like coca cola when poured. My old man was a Guinness drinker and he couldn't stomach it either. Then they started selling syringes with the bottles so people could give their pint a head. That was just weird.

These days, a poured can of Guinness is just as good as the pint down the local, regardless of what some people would have you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭jj880

These days, a poured can of Guinness is just as good as the pint down the local, regardless of what some people would have you believe.

I think you need a new local. Or share your method for making a can pint the same as a pub pint. There is no comparison where I live. Nitrosurge closes the gap slightly but still doesn't do the job in my opinion.

My local is renowned for its Guinness and has been for many a decade. It's a Guinness pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Wrong on all counts.

Firstly the Guinness in the “bottle” is the original stout made by Guinness, the “creamy” variant was a gimmick invented in the 1970s that just happened to take off, took off everywhere except for Waterford of course, where is the only place you can get the bottled Guinness with any consistency anymore, which is a shame as it’s a far superior drink and stout.

Secondly, any stout drinker can tell you the Guinness out of the can is nothing like a pub pint, I don’t know where you’re drinking pints but if you can’t tell the difference between a can and a draught pint then you need to go to a different pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I get a consistently good pour from Guinness cans...

Open it... wait about 3 seconds and wholly invert it into the glass and pull the can out as fast as the glass fills.. Fully empty the can in one go. Don't carry on like you're a barman with 45 degree angles and two stage pours. Does not work out of a can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Ye Toe rag OP 😄

In the good old days on Irish rail you had a choice:

Drink from the an

Or

A plastic cup

I'd drink from the can

Wrong on all counts.

🤣

You've said nothing that I don't know already.

And where I drink is on this list...

I’d love to know where you are getting your cans so the rest of us can experience a pub quality pint out of a can 🤣

Either that or you aren’t as a frequent drinker of Guinness or visitor to said local as you’d like us to believe.

You're determined to a dick are ya.

Enjoy your day kid. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The best pints come from pubs that sell lots of pints so it’s constantly flowing and even better if they don’t clean the pipes every day, that’s why old man pubs usually have the best pints. It’s the same with chippers, the best chips come from the ones that leave the oil in longer before replacing it.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. But the lines do have to be cleaned from time to time.

Where I drink it's almost exclusively Guinness, although there are other pints available of course. I know the people that run it pretty well and they've told me that the vast majority of their sales is Guinness and if people stopped drinking it, they'd be out of business in short order. So the Guinness is always on the go.

Funny you term it "old man pub", because that's exactly what we used to call it when we first started going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

I would have thought the main difference in drinking Guinness from a glass (as opposed to a can) is the ability to regulate the ratio of creamy head to beer with every delicious mouthful?

Drinking it from a can it all gets churned up.

If you pour it steady and slowly, you can regulate the head. It you horse it all in quickly, more than likely you end up with a head over an inch and half high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭randd1

Unless it's in a public park, you're not a scumbag from drinking it out of cans.

A degenerate Philistine maybe, but not a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"I remember the days when you could only get Guinness in a bottle."

Ah yes, the old Guinness Extra Stout - it was all over the place in Elder Days, in a time when our grandmothers swore by the "egg flip". I was always given to understand that that was a completely different brew from the draught stout, though?

It’s a completely different drink, Guinness Original is carbonated and doesn’t have the creamy texture that makes drinking Draught Guinness feel like you’re downing pints of milk. It can be drunk cold or room temperature, I personally prefer it warm “off the shelf” and drink out of a half pint glass. I’d implore any stout drinkers to give it a go, it’s like normal Guinness at first you’ll have to get used to it but once you get the bug you’ll never go back to the draught stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Any other beer straight from the can is equally fine to a glass.

Stout has to be poured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The best Guinness I had was in county Cork pubs . The common denominator was that neither used a washing machine with detergent and rinsed with water only

You can still get the Guinness Extra Stout in bottles I think. Been a while since I've seen it though. AFAIK, the extra stout has carbon in it and a higher alc. content. Draught is a much milder drink. Don't think I could go on a sesh guzzling the extra stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I do it sometimes. Also I think the 2 pour thing in pubs is a total waste of time. I was in a pub in Dun Laoighaire once about 12 years ago, Dunphy's, and then barmen just poured the pints in one. Tasted the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

guinness themselves literally say to pour a can at a 45deg angle though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Did you really just say Waterford is the only place you can get a bottle of Guinness?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

"everywhere except for Waterford of course, where is the only place you can get the bottled Guinness with any consistency anymore"

It's on the shelf in nearly every pub in Dublin worth it's salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Guinness doesn't NEED to be poured properly from a can. The pub 2 part pour is pure marketing (the settle allows the head to solidify so can come above the glass when topped up) as long as gas mix is correct

The can has the correct gas mix in place so will settle just fine in the can.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

With any consistency I said, In my experience I got it in some pubs in Dublin but nowhere near all the ones I’ve been in, apart from that I’ve only ever seen it in Waterford and areas near the border of Waterford. I was down in Clare recently on a weekend away and couldn’t get it anywhere, some of the Publicans didn’t even know what I was talking about.

Biofilm is a horrid thing to let into pipes and makes a horrid taste

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Cork is, historically, where the best was sent as it had to combat Murphy's and Beamish. One bad batch and a pub would start ordering one of the other stouts (until a bad batch of that arrived)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I had a weirdly similar experience in Germany recently. A few of us Irish and a few germans all got bottled beer. And we all drank out of the bottle. But apparently one beer you are absolutely not meant to do that with.

If there are any germans around I think I have this right. From the bottle "OK" is: "Pils" "export" "keller" "spezial" and "bock"

absolutely never from the bottle is: "weizen" or "hefe"?

In all honestly Id drink Guiness from a can. But my tooth has gotten sweeter as I got older so I am kinda erring towards Murphys these days. On the rare occasion when I actually drink :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

All the locals in my area have Guinness Extra in pint bottles. Not rare at all. What’s rare is seeing really auld fellas drinking it. It’s usually lads in their 30’s with glasses and beards.

Reformed character.

Advertisement