Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The bust before Christmas 2022 was also a fairly big one but 2012 probably is the worst we went through been so close and the UK had a snowfest. The closer a bust gets into the reliable time frame the harder it is to accept. Still 10 to 12 days to go before we potentially see proper cold not inversion cold and white gold so much can go right or wrong in the meantime, regardless of the outcome we are all going to need alot of patience over the coming week at least. By this time next week we will probably have a much clearer idea where at from the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Also March 2013 if my memory is correct. Northern Ireland got pasted and we got cold alright but not much else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Forgot about March 2013. Northern Ireland had what looked like Japan levels of snow yet for us it was a non event with cold rain and totally miserable even tho temperatures were around 0C and from what I can remember due points were not too bad either, we didn't even get sleet.

Back to the 18z and it's ever so slightly another upgrade for cold from the 15th, the models increasing the confidence of a cold spell this far out is kinda exceptional with 6 or 7 GFS member going for -10C uppers or colder. The vast majority are in the -6 to -8 range.

Still a fair bit of scatter from January 8th but that's to be expected I have noticed that the coming week with high pressure that the cold isn't as severe as what was showing a few days ago, temperatures a few degrees above freezing by day and by night either close to freezing (above in most eastern areas) or slightly below in the western half of the country. The coming week looks similar in cold to what we had start of December just without the drizzle and cold rain showers. I'm sure most of us will see some frost over the coming week but it does not look as severe as the cold frosty conditions start of December 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lads, all your talk of historic busts may be jinxing things. The 0z GFS is not what we want to see..... Cold is less deep and very shortlived

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Everything further east on the ecm 0z now too to my untrained eye...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

I keep things very simple regarding cold & snow forecasts. MT Cranium. Latest forecast? Chilly next week and possibly mild the weekend of the 19th January. Nothing to see here, move along.....Those over on Netweather UK have worked themselves up into a frenzy, which I understand can be contagious.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Overnight GFS not great very shortlived affair but ECM still firmly on track.

I get people not wanting to be excited etc but to me model watching is the fun part, the thrill is most definitely in the chase. As an adult I'm well able to handle if something as random as the weather doesn't turn out the way I want and so what if it doesn't I'm just enjoying these charts every morning/afternoon while they last.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Is this a downgrade? 😦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Everything in this thread is FI,fantasy island and that caveat must always be implied in any discussion here

It's in the title 👍

Seasoned readers/discussers will read the current,to use a big word,hemispheric pattern as being more conducive to a cold out break by far than usual

The patterns set up looks locked in,as there's strong model agreement in FI,which cannot be ignored, the subtleties never are in FI and the tool to a cold outbreak is where the area of high pressure goes or tilts

It determines where the frigid air in Scandinavia goes

Models will throw out loads of options

Ergo There's no downgrade as such Or upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

My very amateur take on this mornings output -

GFS is a sobering one this morning, the op only gives us a glancing blow of cold with the control not much better, both have Greenland heights flattering to deceive. Should be noted there is a lot of scatter in the ens beyond the 13th.

GFS Op

GFS Control

ECM looks good out to 240h, however the control which goes beyond this is not clear cut and bit too much diluting for my liking with the 850s not consistently in the -8c range.

ECM Op

ECM Control

Onto the UKMO and this one gives the best chance of light snow for the south on Tuesday with -8c uppers over us however I don't like the angle the bitter cold is taking after that as it appears to be heading south instead of west.........I can see Gonzo emigrating to Greece if that happens!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

The same as almostthere my very amateur take. Im usually the one to call it and say thats it good luck back to Atlantic driven muck.

(Take with a pinch of salt) This time i feel differently. With Canadian warming and so much going on in the stratosphere do the models have a true handle on whats happening still 8-12 days down the road? (Well over on Netweather forum they do if its showing Narnia)

The form horse is usually the Atlantic coming thundering back but there was so much background signals to the contrary can they be that wrong? I wouldnt be surprised over the weekend if the models start to push the momentul in a west to Noth west fashion opening up alot of potential for very cold incusions.

We obviously need things to align for cold to occur in Ireland and Number 1 (I think) is to see heights build into Greenland.

I guess alot of my thoughts are 50/50 hope and intuition. It would be nice to be correct once out of 100 attempts 😀

We will smile through through it all no matter what the weather, after all more important things to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thats the spell I used to have the Northern Hemisphere SNowcover charts saved for. Lost them in a PC move. Basically the entire Northern Hemisphere down to Spanish Latitudes with SNow cover....except little old Ireland up at 53degN, an Oasis of Green in a Hemisphere of white.

Can't find the NOAA Snow and Ice charts for the days in question but found this Minimum Temperature chart instead which kind of does the same job. ie. Showing the Cold wall ended at Welsh Beaches! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

GFS 6z following 0z with a messy setup but keeps us nice and dry and settled. GFS has been performing poorly and ECM day 10 mean is very nice but it is day 10.

Interesting model updates ahead for the next 7-10 days and a nice break from mild muck but I wouldn't be getting too excited yet. Many of us have the scars of the past to remind us why :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The GFS is 4th in the verification stats. Still it could be right. Greenland highs are notoriously difficult to maintain because they either get sucked too far west or collapse due to a badly aligned Canadian Low. December 2010 being the most notable exception. We could still do well out of a mid latitude block. I am hopeful with the weak zonal winds we could get another attempt at high latitude blocking, perhaps to the North East next time.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

06z follows the 0z but as Villain said it is very dry and settled which wouldn't be the worst outcome. Plenty more twists and turns to come over the next few days. 12Zs will be very interesting.

The trend for cold is still there on the GFS but with more mild options than yesterday there is more in the way of unwanted scatter. Anything from no mans land to the Atlantic making a swift comeback to deep cold is possible but as I said yesterday this is almost 2 weeks away and so much can go right and wrong and all it takes is 1 run to completely change everything for better or for worse. I do not feel confident yet in this cold spell as it is so far away and we've seen so many potential cold spells go bust in a much shorter time frame.

If we are still looking at juicy charts within 72 hours then that is time to start getting excited, everything beyond that is just fantasy when it comes to cold and snowy weather.

The 12z later today could make things clearer, we could see a total collapse of this potential cold spell or we will be back on a set of upgrades. The cold spell could also collapse and then make a comeback in the models later in the week, anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Let's get the cold in in the short term, which is nailed on now. After that, we will see as @Gonzo says. A major wobble from GFS overnight regarding long term prospects but only 3 days ago the models were casting doubt on the coming weekend's setup and had the high centred much further east. Long term prospects remain good for the reasons @bazlers pointed out.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

An excellent post. @Gonzo, they could with you over on Netweather UK! 😊 Golden rule - if within 72hrs, then it's a near certainty that the cold will verify. Otherwise, it's just hopecasting/speculation. A major red flag for me is that MT does not appear to be on board at all - granted, that might change but he successfully predicted major cold periods in the past. At this point in time, I see nothing from him to indicate proper cold / snowfall.

D

the GFS tends to do this quite often, drops and idea completely and then takes it up again within a few days and runs with it. While the GFS looks like it has wobbled this does not mean a bust for the cold, not yet anyway. The trend is still there but the operational runs are taking on the milder end of the ranges. We have indeed entered the first section of the rollercoaster, we have come down a gentle slope not crashed and burned but this feels like a rollercoaster with blindfolds on, who knows what the 12z will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

I was weary after the 12z runs yesterday. There was clear evidence of the now familiar trend; a few runs show perfect clean evolution of heights building into Greenland, then the subsequent runs make it a messier and weaker affair but by bit. Hopefully it will go the other way this time.

Also the commentary on NW about only seeing this level of model consistency in 2010 and 2018 is rubbish. A couple of times every winter we get a day or two of cross model agreement of nirvana, but nearly always diluted quickly after 2 days or so. It seems like the models all pick up on an amplification signal and really run with it at first, then gradually make it more muted.

And don't get me started on the experts on Netweather. The teleconnections are always going to support the model output when the 'teleconnections' are also just the same model output.

• Advertisement

The one thing I will say about the GFS 6z is that it is showing the vast majority of the UK and Ireland completely dry right out to +384 hours, that is rather unbelievable especially given it's winter and very unlikely to stay completely dry for the next 2 and a half weeks.

Clare (410ft asl)

I was looking back on the Boards thread for February 2018, and the models started signalling the 'Beast ' about 12 days in advance. There were wobbles and tears shed on here at around 10-8 days in advance as little shortwaves started causing issues, but the Beast was pretty much nailed on with 7 days to go. We are either in a wobble period or the trend of overnight continues. The ensembles are not too different to this time yesterday. I would think we would need a few members on all models to start showing much colder 850s though for a real prospect of a cold blast in 8-10 days time to materialise. By the way, I presently see no sign of a Beast from the East but a moderate (50%) risk of a cold northeasterly or northerly.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

The GFS 6z has completed and the operational takes on one of the mildest options which shows that mild is still on the table as an option while the vast majority supports anything from low level cold to medium cold. We have a long way to go before been in any way confident.

There are a few isolated members that go beyond -10C uppers but this are very much a minority option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I disagree about the level of model consistency/support, I don’t recall seeing every single ensemble across all main models showing the same pattern except for 2010 and 2018, and even then this never stayed perfect without the odd wobble. Even the major fails ala 2012, while collapsing at a much shorter range, did not have every ensemble converging on the same pattern.

Caution advised but definitely the feeling that this time is different, we don’t normally have such strong background signals to back up the super charts. A long way to go still but EPS are still rock solid, if not better than 12z yesterday. UKMO also looks excellent as far out as it goes.

Maybe the GFS is picking up a new signal but as Gonzo pointed out, it could all fall back into line this evening with upgrades, or even get messier only to return to the original brilliant charts in the coming days… all to play for. I for one am already enjoying the more seasonal weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

The gfs weather model is a joke ,funny to look at half them over there on netweather having meltdowns since 4am dis morning over what it's showing ,I'll stick to the euros which are still rock solid

Clare (410ft asl)

The ECMWF ensembles are anything but mild after mid month. As I said before, expectations of a colder blast mid month will rise for me if I start seeing some -10c 850 members appearing or growing in numbers.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Yeah over the next week I would want to see the vast majority of members going for -10C uppers and staying in that range for at least a few days. Right now a few are getting there but very briefly. The mean line is telling us right now that we could end up with a cold spell over a 4 to 5 day period with low to medium cold around the -5C upper air temperature range so this mean white line needs to go a good bit colder for confidence towards a very cold spell and we are not there yet.

Just to illustrate what we need further I have edited the GFS ensemble with a fake pink ensemble mean line to show where it really needs to be. If we can get the white mean line to where my pink mean line is then we would be in business. As you can see we have quiet a way to go to shift all those ensemble members into the -8 to -12 range. This is why I am not excited yet and this is why MT isn't entertaining the thoughts of a proper cold and snow. We are not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I pop onto this thread twice a year, over the summer to see if we have a heat wave coming and at winter when we are given a hint of snow.

I know its complete madness but I ordered a snow sledge for the kids on Decathlon last night based on the last few days comments on here.

Dont let me down folks 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Ordering a sledge😮!!, well at least we will know who jinxed it if it all goes tits up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement