Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fartooreasonable

As someone on over 100k, with a substantial deposit it's still impossible and this is in the north west. It's not impossible to buy a house there's just no good investments out there. At present my options are 400k for a bungalow which is on a flood plain and has been flooded or 300k for a self d needing work in the bad part of town. I'm not going to nerf my future finances making a move out of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"no good investments"

It's the people selling the houses who made good investments, not the ones buying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Not necessarily. If one needs to move for whatever reason, the extra 100k that their house may be worth is of little consequence if they want or need to move to an area where houses have risen even more. I know of a few people who moved back to Dublin after a country move didn't work out (these things happen). Though I would never ask anyone about the sums involved, I think it's safe to say the rises in Dublin in the last few years have out-stripped other parts of the country.

What's needed is stability, but the modern economy is geared towards infinite GDP growth based on fiat currency, which is functionally unlimited. Until this changes, prices of everything will only go one way, so if you have a lot of savings and nothing to do with them, you're essentially letting the value of the money rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The northwest is a unique case due to defective blocks - the shortage there is much worse than rest of the country because so many 2nd hand homes are just not viable to purchase. Then add in the construction labour tied up in repairs/rebuilds... Expect prices there to rise 10% or more per annum for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I thought that was traced back to one, or a very limited number of black makers.

• Advertisement

But not even from an investment perspective but from a living perspective. They've all got major issues either built in the 70s and not a lick of work done or flooding / delirious materials issues. There's no one to do this work and it's not worth sitting in a cold, uncomfortable house for a decade to sort it out. From that perspective it isn't a good investment for me, there's no magical technology coming down the pipeline that will replace any of these deficits.

And from my perspective it's not the houses I'm second guessing investing in, it's Ireland itself. I don't think I'm alone in thinking this and given my carer and income it isn't really an issue for me or my colleagues in fact several have already moved and now I see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I know very little about Donegal, but surely with a budget of I’m assuming 500k or more (100k+ wage*4 + sizeable deposit) you can afford 90%+ of all the properties in Donegal as a single income household.

So it’s not really a price issue you have, it’s a supply issue? You just don’t think any of the houses in Donegal are up to the standard you want?

Another problem is the number of s**ty celtic tiger builds that are all over the country. From apartment blocks full of issues to cardboard houses, I really wonder how these houses will age given that many of them already look to be in poor nick. There's a block of apartments in the town I live in that look very rough, and they're only 20 years old. One would hope that new builds are of a higher quality.

I agree on your second paragraph. I'm 37, so I'm a bit old to be emigrating, but I do sometimes think that I should have jumped ship. I'm actually eligible for Italian citizenship, and I speak the language quite well. Winters in Wexford do sometimes make me wonder if an apartment in Lucca would not be a better option for a single man...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im still not sure what the issue is, do you not want to spend more than 400k and are frustrated with whats on offer, or you do and there just isnt supply of what you are after?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m really surprised that €500k can’t buy a house in the cheapest part of the country for property prices.

• Advertisement

Initially I had a 90% LTV but on renewing this was changed to 70% which is a bit of an issue. Thats the chief limiting factor limiting me to about 300-400k which here is either rural bungalows or semi ds in the bad side of town. Aditionally building isn't possible given restrictions around self building in the county alongside restrictions in builders.

However the biggest limiting factor is that of all houses the majority won't do block tests and sit on the market for months. It is fairly ironic that it would be easier for me to move to Kildare despite the price increase compared to the Donegal market. My partner and I were down there recently and really enjoyed being there for a few days so that may be the direction we take. However some of my colleagues (about 7) were recently poached and moved to Canada. After looking at the contract its a substantial increase in pay and fewer hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Limited number of suppliers who were supplying millions of blocks a month at peak.

Much of Donegal affected - as a result there are not many unaffected properties available at any price. The supply simply doesn't exist, as nobody who holds a non-defective home is willing to move (and there isn't supply of new builds either for them to move into).

It's an example of a market totally stuck by lack of supply. The game of musical chairs is broken there.

They were one of the cheapest providers at the time not just in the county but for several counties around. As estates were built in stages it's not even entire estates affected but some partial estates or even individual houses if the builders were short blocks and used them as a last minute replacement.

That alongside the number of people who won't even test for it has crippled the market in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

sounds like you don’t know what you want, house in Kildare Donegal or move to Canada might you would do better posting in the personals section in boards

Thanks for that, considering I've been trying to buy in Donegal the last 2 years and no movement on it I think I've a reasonable idea of what I want but it isn't available so time to look somewhere else. Perhaps if you perused (meaning to carefully and methodically read) my comments instead of skimming you would have seen that.

You shouldn't worry but thank you for your concern. Keep it to yourself next time however.

Yes can imagine Donegal market is fairly dysfunctional at the minute. Rising at the fastest pace in the country too and hard to see it going any other way with Mica demand.

Canada certainly has its pluses. A number of my friends live there. Two biggest drawbacks though

• Winters are brutal in Toronto. Golf courses closed due to Ice from November through to almost late April. As a friend said, if you don’t love skiing you’re basically stuck inside for 6 months a year. Vancouver is warmer but rains like you wouldn’t believe. Summers are much better than here.

• More relevant to this thread: if you think the Irish property market is expensive…I know some fairly successful people out in both cities and don’t know anybody who’s managed to buy anything but a tiny 1 or 2 bed apartment. Nobody I know sees it as feasible to raise a family, all just making some cash and coming back to Ireland for some cheaper housing.

The contracts I read for the people going to Canada were 3 times the Irish wage converted. It was actual madness to read given the demand in the sector at the moment.

That’ll work alright!

Do it for a few years - then you can buy the entire county of Donegal when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Avon8

As someone with experience of the Donegal market, if you had access to €350k of cheap credit plus deposit in 2017/18 you could've bought basically whatever you wanted. Plenty here not adding up

I work in the medical field and we do rotational training. I've tried to time it as best as possible but it never worked like it did for my colleagues and in the 17-19 period I got a training job offer that I took in another county were I couldn't get a mortgage because I didn't live in Donegal and the schemes won't give documents promising you will be somewhere in the future that the bank want. Since then I've been caught in the current mica and restriction property issues.

Looking at it with hindsight it may be better though as there would be a higher chance of buying something with mica.

• Advertisement

Reading through the lines, I assume you’re a doctor working through a surgical training scheme?

This means you’ll be earning €200k+ basic salary for 35 hour week plus any private work you choose to do when a consultant in your mid 30s. You’re also from and happy to live in Donegal?

I really wouldn’t worry about the cost of housing. You’ll be able to live in any house you want, looking out over the sea and the mortgage will be relatively insignificant to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

However, in submissions to the council, local residents have raised concerns about the level of development planned and have threatened to “oppose any attempt to build high-rise developments” near their homes.

these people need to be stopped

Doctor yes surgeon no, don't have the interest for that stress in my life.

I'm not worried about getting a house it's just not ideal that it may be more practical for me to buy in cash rather than get a mortgage and it also knocks the tail end of capital appreciation.

Worse yet is if this is the difficulty I am having I can only imagine the harm it's doing to others earning less. I can only imagine the moral injury they're suffering on a daily basis listening to people saying we're doing all we can while nothing really changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

vancouver at least is like ireland in 2005, my brother is there and he is getting on well, they have a nice family house but also held on to the small 2 bed condo they lived in originally, he is mortgaged up to his eyeballs, recent interest rate increases meant he had to find an extra 3k canadian per month!

he seems happy enough though!

Fair play to them! My family/friends out there are more conservative and self imposing 4x LTIs (not sure actual lending rules) and $1m gets you very little.

I know two native Canadians and they have a very 2005 Ireland attitude to property alright. Both have bought apartments which are under construction, no intention of ever using them but just assume they’ll flip for a $500k+ profit as it appreciates while under construction.

When I mentioned to them that I heard prices were starting fall with higher mortgage rates all I got was death stares…

The council will just ignore any objections. Planning permission for these habitation blocks is just window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

There's a significant rump of the older generation who couldnt give a sh*te about younger people and families who are trying to start a life for themsleves. Really grinds my gears.

They're also the same people complain about there being not enough staff in hospitals to treat them, no home help or social services and not seeing the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Dont forget understaffed pubs, bars and reasturants.

• Advertisement

My sister was complaining recently that she now knows no one on her street anymore. She doesn't realise half them are for rent and there's at least 4 or 5 up on Airbnb, a complete 180 in the last 5 years.

Advertisement