Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Indeed, more building, more roads, more houses, more junk food - this is the least environmental policy I have ever come across

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Phil Hogan absolutely did not stick to his task around Irish Water. He set up the superquango and then did a runner for Europe. He offloaded the Irish Water debacle to Labour as soon as he could and then pretended he knew nothing about it. I am proud to have protested against the Irish Water setup and plans by FG to nationalise our precious resource.

Irish Water was setup in 2013 (Phil even destroyed the meeting minutes on the expensive setup). This is Phil in 2015.

EU Commissioner Phil Hogan on Irish Water: 'I don’t agree that there’s a mess... you'll have to ask Minister Alan Kelly' | Independent.ie

EU Commissioner Phil Hogan on Irish Water: 'I don’t agree that there’s a mess... you'll have to ask Minister Alan Kelly'

He completely washed his hands of it. Labour got destroyed in GE 2016 as a result. Greens will bear the brunt in GE 2024/25.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree, it's makes no sense as a core Green Party policy.

I did hear Ivana this morning though on the radio and she is a real cheerleader for substantial immigration. That Labour a once proud party of the worker has gone down this road is really puzzling. It'd be sad to see Labour disappear but that is the road they have set on for some time now. Unfairly blamed for their part in coalition but are just pushing the self destruct buttons since.

100% they will. See my previous post.

You are all getting fooled by blaming Greens and O'Gorman all the time. When they are gone, all that blame energy will have been wasted. All of this is sanctioned at cabinet. Who runs the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

ivana bacik was on Claire Byrne as well today.

It is so infuriating listening to labour/Social Democrats/Greens.

She talked about setting up a D4 for all group to welcome immigrants & we can't go down the route of countries like the UK ,France etc and the far right.

She said we need immigrants to come in to work in hospitals etc.

Which of course is true. But why in the name of jaysus are they not mentioning the thousands who fly in here from safe countries or have destroyed their documents. Are these the people they talk about working in the health sector?

Everyone I know doesn't give a damn about skin colour, nationality etc. What they do care about are rules been broken.

Our politicians been soft on people coming here taking advantage. Fellas from Egypt, Morocco,Georgia, Zimbabwe with no documents are having a laugh at us.

Am I racist to ask this?

• Advertisement

Hogan did a runner for sure and for that alone, he should be despised as a politician. He and his ego was party to the wrecking of what was a sound idea, pay by use for water and sewage services. This was and remains good Green thinking. Let's hope it's brought back to the table sooner rather than later. Reduce consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Far right burning down buildings isn't legitimate dissent

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You would wonder at times if the green party all have some sort of split personalities.

We have one minister telling us we need to cut back on farming, reduce the number of cars on the road,reduce air travel and many more things to reduce our carbon footprint and be leaders in being green.

We have another minister promoting people coming here which means more food, more cars on the road, more air travel, building materials etc that will massively increase our carbon footprint.

These absolutely contradict each other and a school going child could tell you it makes no sense.

Yet we are paying these people to be leaders of the country, the sooner they are wiped out forever the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Labour stand for nothing. I’d rather vote for the love child of FF/FG than give a single vote to that sorry excuse for a political party. They can piss off and take the Soc Dems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

It's all gaslighting. We need skilled immigrants to work in our hospitals because our own nurses and doctors move abroad due to accommodation shortages.

Of course, nobody complains about the skilled immigrants as they are contributing.

The issue today, is the Refugees and Asylum Seekers, which are largely unskilled, not contributing and taking resources away from us.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lmimmfn threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the 'no documents' thing is completely irrelevant to their asylum claim. Most people leave a vast digital trail, meaning their identity is easily established (this is not 1950). If they are economic migrants and not genuine refugees, they will not be granted asylum - it's irrelevant whether they had a passport, no passport or a fake one when they arrived. A fella from Georgia who speaks Georgian can hardly pretend to be from Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Brid Smith on Newstalk this morning was asked by Ivan Yates what would she reply if her constituents asked her if she thought there was any limit on the numbers we can take in, say 250000 ?

Her reply (not exactly but pretty accurate) “I’d say all these men have strong arms and are willing to work building and remember most of the violence is carried out by Irish men”

No answer then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Green Party policy, taken from their 2020 Manifesto is to end direct provision and to "implement all the recommendations of the McMahon Report".

The McMahon report recommends "a shift towards ‘own door’ accommodation units for individuals and families".

O'Gorman isn't doing a solo run here, his actions are consistent with Green Party policy.

And the Green Party policies go beyond just environmental issues.

So what? It is irrelevant as you say. They come, they apparently have to be given accommodation, food and supports of some sort. They are either given their 'papers' and move into the general community or just melt away & move into the general community. Same result. That's what happens in practice.

We need standing camps, operated by the defence forces, to hold these people in while their applications are being processed. Then either given their 'papers' or returned to their native state. Simple isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gossamerfabric

I just got called Xenophobic on another thread after pointing out that the Visa system is being exploited to lower terms and conditions for those in the Trades in Ireland.

Pejorative words and phrases are the stock in trade of Open Borders Activists.

Talk to the Labour Party - they supposedly represent workers and trade unions.

Labour Party are only interested in seats in the Senate and positions on boards of NGOs because nobody will vote for them in open elections any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Who is Noone?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sive60

Its enraging to think that the old nursing home in Ballsbrige could have been bought by the Government and renovated for accomodation for nursing staff in Vincents.

Presumably it ceased to function as a nursing home as it may not meet todays standards.

How can places like this be then crammed full of “ families”, how would fire safety standards be observed.

The locals wont be sitting huddled around campsites guarding entrance, they will mount opposition in their exclusive golf clubs and plan action.

Every legal avenue will be explored and no one will call them racist incels living in their mothers bedroom. They will have every professional advice needed supplied for free and direct contact to decidion makers.

Nobody. No-one. Who is advocating for open borders?

Who is advocating? A small but very vocal group of self-righteous people swarming over social media and NGOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sive60

Enough to know that O Gorman is telling NGOs dependent on govt funding how he expects them to vote.

Big red flag for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Mind boggles as to how the media trots out loopers like Smith on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Surely that building in Ballsbridge could accommodate more than 220 people.

I'd say it could easily take another 250 people.

I think the answer is No then. It seems a very stupid reason for your referendum vote. Why don't you save the protest for the local elections which are on in June?

What will you folks spend your time at when O'Gorman is gone? All your energies seem to be focused on one man. Ye are easily fooled.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭StormForce13

Sure they have her on speed dial - it saves them having to think for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭StormForce13

Ivana's only hope of retaining her seat in the Dáil is by out-wokeing the other woke candidates in the constituency.

FG foolishly rolled out the red carpet for her in the by-election, but I doubt that they'll be dumb enough to make the same mistake again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement