Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well we are already in UNIFIL which is likely going to become a critical deployment very soon, so I think your 'best we can do is giving out ' remark is unwarranted

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"BTW, there's nothing in that article that stated there's a law that made anyone bury any body. There was nothing that said why a burial couldn't be delayed. There was nothing that said why they didn't conduce a port mortem."

The organization that largely does this work for Israel, Zaka, buries victims quickly according to Jewish law. Orthodox Jews are opposed to autopsies as well, I don't think ZAKA does them. So, there are religious laws (at least, as interpreted by Orthodox Jews) that prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Would we be prepared to step into the breach between the IDF and Hamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

But they're not all orthodox. I understand that maybe some are, but I think it's something like 1/8th of Israel is orthodox. And here's the thing, i don't think they even asked. If they asked and were refused that's one thing, but if they never bothered to ask, than that's bad.

And BTW, I'm not saying it was a conspiracy to hide stuff. I'm saying it was incompetence. There should have been someone who's job it was to make sure that they gathered as much as they could. maybe there is someone, but they weren't listened to. They should have done better at the time.

And it's not wrong for people to ask for this information. Or to say that they should have gathered it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, if you rounded up the rapists and presented them to the Israeli authorities, there's no evidence to confirm that they did it or to even confirm if a particular crime occurred. If I had 10 different people give me 10 wildly different figures about how often it happened, who would I believe? And the problem there is that one person is giving roughly accurate information, the others aren't. So then it's easy for a doubter to point at someone with a ridiculous figure and say that people are lying about it happening.

The specifics would matter of course but I think so as part of a UN Mission, like I said we are already a large part of UNIFIL, and have been for about 30 years now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

What, they have evidence for rapes that occurred in the first 3 days? That’s not my understanding of things?

ZAKA are orthodox or ultra orthodox though, and they were to a large extent the ones responsible and they followed their own customs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

How is the investigation into bennys corruption going? 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Thats not whats hes doing. At all... Shame on you. Seems you can't even discuss anything logically and rationally here without being accused of anti-semitism. And his whole posts were logical and rational in the basis re the discussion of evidence. You purposely skipped over where he stated he believed it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

It was a war zone.

If you believed it happened what is the purpose in carrying on down this line? To what end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It wasn't a warzone where the bodies were brought afterwards. It wasn't a warzone in all the morgues. It wasn't a warzone in all the funeral homes. It wasn't a warzone at the burials.

There was plenty of opportunity to gather forensic evidence in the days afterwards but no autopsies were conducted.

And as I said at the very beginning and in nearly every post since then, the point of mentioning this is that the Israeli authorities shot themselves in the foot when they didn't document this. They created a situation where people come in and say it never happened. They made a mistake. And they continue to do so when they react aggressively to people who say that they should have this evidence.

In every post about it I've said I believe it happened. In every post where I mention Hamas I say that they're scum. I do this because if I say something like "Israel should have collect evidence" people will start accusing me of hating jewish people or whatabouttery. I don't and I'm not. I made an observation that the israeli authorities made a mistake and since them I've been compared to holocaust deniers.

So, is there anything you want to accuse me of? Do you want to hazard a guess on my motives? Because I'm just a guy who pointed out that if they'd actually conducted a proper investigation and gathered evidence, then the people who are denying it happened wouldn't have the ammunition they have. But I'm sure someone will come along and start calling me a nazi any moment now.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

ok.

i just think you are giving yourself a lot of grief about something which you believed happened in any event but sure fill your boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

“Collateral damage” nonsense.

You're trying to make it sound as if Israel is taking out Hamas soldiers and a few innocents are being killed when in reality it’s the exact opposite, Israel are murdering civilian men, women and children and if a Hamas soldier is killed in the strikes then it’s a stroke of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Netanyahu had a large part in not securing the border for 7 11 to happen but he is the exact right person to lead Israel now. He has no quams about killing civilians and the Israel public are supporting his brutal methods. I can't see him ever going to jail now for corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That is a complete rubbish statement. You can be anti-murder, anti-bombing or anti-war. That does not make you antisemitic at all or even anti-Irsraeli. It makes you human.

"And as I said at the very beginning and in nearly every post since then, the point of mentioning this is that the Israeli authorities shot themselves in the foot when they didn't document this. They created a situation where people come in and say it never happened. They made a mistake. And they continue to do so when they react aggressively to people who say that they should have this evidence."

It's Israel: People would have come out and say this never happened. No matter what evidence had been presented. Presuming that type would listen to some higher legal authority is, in my view, naïve. We've seen it here, with at least one user saying it absolutely didn't happen, when I presented the article, they then decried it as 'Israeli government hasbara' or something like that, when we went on further they disappeared as the predominance, of at least testimony, is overwhelming.

As for what the Israeli government could and couldn't have done, that's a topic for another discussion. The Israeli government shared videos with Journalists who (like that nitwit from Wales) go on to deny what they saw.

Related, why didn't the UN at least acknowledge the possibility of the events, or even raise the issue until days after the events, after the video leakage and testimonies had come out. One other poster said, "What do you think about the South African accusations of rape.' Not in the motion they've proposed, I searched for the word 'rape', found zero hits. However, there was a tonne of "Israel said this! South Africa says that!" but it's just a proposal to the UN to do something so that standard is probably good enough.

If one is looking for Israel "shooting itself in the foot" (nice phrase given the current circumstances,) there's a rumour that Israel will hire Alan Dershowitz to defend it in the Hague against the accusations by South Africa.

The many ways this is a horrible idea are difficult to enumerate. There are better lawyers out there. Dershowitz's a busted flush, whose name is all over the recent Jeffrey Epstein revelations.

Gag. Dershowitz. W. T. A. F.

"Haaretz Today | Does It Have to Be Alan Dershowitz Defending Israel Against Charges of Genocide?"

(https://archive.is/CODid)

I don't really understand why you think it matters so much: there is evidence that at least some of these rapes and murders and kidnappings happened - don't you agree?

So that being the case, and KNOWING that the Israel-Gaza situation is so polarised that we've seen that there will always be people who will NEVER believe "their" side did anything wrong, no matter what the evidence, then what difference does it make if there is "only" eye-witness and forensic evidence for "a few" of these events?

It's not as though collecting evidence for 75% of them would have convinced those who will never be convinced anyway - is it?

So what's your point, exactly? Judaism, like Islam, is not comfortable with a delay before burial, nor with autopsies at all - and many people who do not really practise their religion still want the religious ritual of burial, certainly in my experience of many Irish non-practising Catholics. It's hardly surprising that in the immediate hours after such a catastrophe, autopsies were not people's first thought.

I don't imagine even the most cynical of them expected to be disbelieved to that extent, TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes of course. I was talking about the specific phrases that seem to frequently be applied to Jews on this thread. Blood thirsty , bloodlust, blood letting, baby killers, satanic etc etc. It reeks of blood libel nonsense. surely it's possible to criticize Israels actions without using anti semitic tropes? Seems for some people, it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Since South Africa has been mentioned as accusing Israel of "Genocide" I have to wonder why a corrupt and incompetent government in charge of a crime-ridden hellhole with very little electricity that can't even keep traffic lights on its roads, has such an interest in a conflict 6000 kilometres away. (For reference, the distance between Church Square in Pretoria and the Great Mosque in Khan Yunis is 6,381.28km

Why are South Africans Stealing Traffic Lights? (youtube.com)

I would have thought that the corrupt and incompetent government of South Africa would have priorities closer to home, but I guess crapping on Israel (and the 7+ million Jews who call it home) is more important. Hmm ...

Maybe they think Israel are doing something wrong and going to an authority on war crimes is the right thing to do?

Why do those on the pro israel side go after those countries critising them rather than argue the points of criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

There are other possibilities. One is that a person could look at the state of South Africa and conclude that their government is not a moral authority on anything. Another is that dunking on Israel might be a good way to distract from their own legendary failures at home.

But even assuming for the sake of argument that this is not connected to wider far-Left hostility to Israel - which is long standing as the people who chant "From the River to the Sea" can tell you - I still have to wonder why the corrupt and incompetent government of South Africa isn't more concerned about its own sky high murder rate which is the third highest in the world, or the daily rolling blackouts and rampant cable theft, all of threatens to turn SA into even more of a failed state than it is now.

I guess it's a hallmark of being a corrupt and incompetent government in charge of a failing hellhole that your main priority is to take a politically expedient side in a quarrel 6000 km away.

I think that most cases in the ICC are initiated by a third country to whatever conflict they are dealing with. Maybe you should start a thread on how corrupt SA is and how far away from Gaza it is located.

But it will interested to see where this case goes. I see an Irish lawyer is working as external counsel for the SA team, and she has previously with allegations of Serbian atrocities in Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It will go nowhere. Even if they do find against Israel, the Israelis and Americans will ignore their decision.

True though it does upset the Israelis and their die hard supporters here which can be seen in how they post about SA.

To describe people who criticise the likes of Netanyahu and some of his politicians and ''religious'' friends, who quote ancient Bible passages to try to make slaughter acceptable, as antisemitic is nonsense.

Someone else could look at it and think '' Jaysus, even the S. Africans are calling them out ''. How bad is that?

• Advertisement

That's what will probably happen but History will prove that these countries were in fact right to do so.

Advertisement