Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The introduction of bags that weren't made microscopically thin and made to be reused is what changed me. Can't stuff the modern bags into a ball in the back of the unused cabinet in the kitchen. I sometimes miss that bag of bags. So, a better option got rid of a bad option. With this, they're introducing a bad option hoping to make it better, and I can't see it working because it's penalising people who already recycle. Maybe what happens after I recycle it should be the point of attention here, ie: what my binman does with it. Instead, they've decided to charge more for the full containers so you're penalised if you recycle it as you always have. There's no money to be made, only money to recover. If there was money to be made, it would actually make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Yeah I guess the issue with my current recycling is like you say what happens when they take it. And it sounds like it might all be a bit of nonsense and not solving our problem.

The bag thing was the first (and last?) That moved me toward reduce / reuse.

I'm thinking the hassle/ cost of this new system might make me reduce/reuse too!

And whatever I do recycle through the new system, I assume will actually be recycled...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Am I correct in my understanding on this:

1. The Shop Keeper buys say a crate (24) of water from the Wholesaler (say Cash N Carry)
    2. It used to cost say 30¢ a bottle. Will it now cost 45¢ a bottle with the 15¢ being added at source level from produced to Cash N Carry?
    3. He used to sell at at €2 a bottle. Will be now sell it at €2.15?
    4. Old Profit €1.70 NEW Profit €1.70. SO he balances the books.
    5. If he EXEMPT..... customer can't return bottle to him for voucher exchange. Shop just displays a sign as to nearest return outlet.
    6. If he NOT EXEMPT..... customer seeks 15¢ voucher off him against other purchases in shop. His profit now back to €1.55. Shop then submits a claim to RE=TURN for the cashed vouchers and this brings his profit back to €1.70.

Is this 'TOO' simplistic???

As matter of interest.... what happens at Airports etc. Loads of passengers buy water/soft drinks Airside. If they carry on plane.. can they use the Re-Turn bottles in say Germany when they land?? Or if they drink the water in the Departure Lounge - a Voucher system is no good if leaving teh country and don't need anything else from Duty Free etc. Thoughts ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This scheme is intended to get us up to 90% recycling for bottles - but the operators have an incentive for us to recycle less not more, as they get paid by the unclaimed deposits.

Whole thing is implemented terribly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In the shopkeeper scenario, the deposit is 15c on small bottles and 25c on smaller bottles but there is a 7th step

7. Shopkeeper receives the deposit back and an additional 2.2c for every bottle returned to re-turn due to the inconvenience caused to the shop keeper, his profit is now 2.2c higher

The Airport question is a good one. Ideally airports, as well as seaports and potentially bus stations will have an exemption that their cans and bottles don't get charged the deposit (and nor do they carry the logo/barcode) but as far as I am aware your water bottle bought in the Airport will be charged the 25c deposit with no way for you to get the deposit back

• Advertisement

By "the operators" you mean the bin operators? Yeah privatisation of our bin services has been implemented terribly since day one

If we get our recycle rate from 60% - 90% using the new way then roughly 10% will still go to the bin companies, no? Meaning the bin companies are now making 15c or 25c extra on what they would have made before but on a smaller quantity. It's probably in the break-even territory for them

• Registered Users Posts: 34,656 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The bin companies are not going to be getting 15 or 25c a can that still end up in bins, whether green or black.

Most of the stuff that isn't recycled through these machines will end up in black bins or street cleaning etc. and just be landfilled or incinerated.

You can thank this bunch of morons

for making it impossible for councils to continue to run waste collection themselves.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

On the homeless thing where people claim this scheme will be good for homeless people because they can clean the streets and earn and income.

I don't know what they are thinking. That maybe homeless people from the street will pick up bottles and cans..

I find this absolutely completely insulting because there is a new type of homeless person where often they work but they might be living out from the back of a car or in a tent somewhere or on someone's couch. As if life isn't hard enough for this people with housing issues but some people claime it will be good for them to earn and income cleaning the streets. Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

There's a fair amount of 'see no evil, hear no evil' propaganda by environmentally conscious people on this as well as all environmental initiatives. There are obvious downsides for people who already do the right thing so lets hope it actually delivers a change in attitude for those who currently couldnt give a shoite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

An exemption for airside purchases would appear to make sense.

Not sure about seaports though and definitely can't see it being granted for bus stations.

For the last few years I've been using a drinks bottle which I fill up airside. That's ok for me because I only use it for water which is free from the fountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Glass bottles are already recycled sufficiently so there is no need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭bren2001

Wherever you keep them before you open them, keep them there afterwards too. It’s not that hard. Bring them to the shop when you go to buy more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's more - these new street cleaners will only bother with bottles/ cans that can be processed. Anything that's crushed or dirty will be left to stay as litter. Same for the idea of kids cleaning beaches etc.

Meanwhile the likes of us that have been picking litter for years and putting in our own bins, will just be pissed off.

They haven't really thought this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What percentage of the likes of peas and beans etc tins are part of our figures for currently not recycled? These are not included in the new scheme, neither are plastic milk bottles.

Glass is recycled at a rate over 75%, whereas plastics were below 30%. That was the rationale for different treatment. Crushing and reusing seems better than washing and reusing from a hygienic standpoint imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Re-turn have an incentive for people not to use their machines, as they get all unclaimed deposits from point of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,656 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Checks joining date, sees conflicting posting style, yeah good one buddy. Next time add something constructive

Those machines aren't re-turn though, they're shop operated, all the bin companies have to do is deliver them to re-turn instead of their usual destination

As long as they want, there's no upper limit as far as I'm aware

• Advertisement

Seaports are like airports in that your next destination is foreign lands, some bus stations have international routes, you can go from busaras over the Irish sea and up to the north from a few bus stations but they are exceptions I accept

I do the exact same thing at airports in fairness, I have one of those steel bottles from Lidl that cost me a fiver and I save €2-3 every time I go through airport security

But if the child wants a coke...

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Nothing ever makes sense in this country I swear to God. The only thing you can count on in Ireland is anything new being implemented will be more awkward and cost the ordinary person more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You make a fair point about international routes but bus stations don't have the equivalent of airside so anyone could walk in off the street and buy a drink.

I got my steel bottle for nothing and it's been a game changer. No more plastic bottles and a few more euro in my pocket.

Show me a child that doesn't want a coke 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭bren2001

How would they know when the product was bought? It’s a generic barcode.

They don’t need cash reserves that equal 100% of the current products in the market. They need far less than that and will be able to operate on that basis. They’ll never “pocket” the money in the way you think they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭SteM

If it's the same type of paper/ink that Dublin Bus used to give refunds on then it's fair to say there'll be a natural limit on the time you can use the refund voucher. The ink used to fade on those things after a few months.

True yes

If this is a money making scheme then you can help stop it simply by returning all your recyclable produce! After all, if we get a 100% return rate then no money gets made by the other side 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

f this is a money making scheme then you can help stop it simply by returning all your recyclable produce! After all, if we get a 100% return rate then no money gets made by the other side

What will finance the scheme so?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Glass is recycled at a rate over 75%, whereas plastics were below 30%

That is all plastics. There is no figure available for plastic bottles.

It's not feasible or possible to recycle a large range of plastics.

Either way this is little to do with recycling it seems to be a scheme so the councils absolve themselves from further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

As usual people mix up "homeless" -those in emergency accommodation such as hubs, hotels and bnbs and "rough sleepers" - those who sleep rough on the streets and many with intricate issues

There are about 13,500 of the former and at 30th sept last, there were 128 of the latter.

I presume the poster meant the rough sleepers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

Technology has advanced. Almost all plastics can now be recycled. There was also a publicity campaign on this.

The main exclusion is plastic film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement