Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2024/25 Championship, League 1, League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Cobblers beaten one nil at home by Stevenage. Apparently Northampton far the better team first half and gassed after an hour and cuddly Steve Evans team (who are always fit as fupp) dominated after that, and deserved the win. 8 minutes injury time first half, 14 minutes second!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wrexham with a rude return to the league. But I’m sure they’ll be fine. Put on a good show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Qpr still 15/8 for relegation. If they don’t go down I don’t know what will save them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

I mentioned it in the other thread but get used to this as this is a new rule brought in to combat time wasting. It'll calm down in a few weeks like in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mullin recovering to lead the line would be more important I'd say. McLean will add an extra threat and great experience, both on and off the field. It will be interesting to see how their season goes.

Notts County got thumped too, League 2 looking tougher than they thought, know its early days

Cobblers lost again, and again badly ran out of steam in the 2nd half. Need one or two more bodies and fitness, and the sooner the better.

After the midweek fightback from two nil down to draw, to beating Peterborough today, starting to look a bit less miserable in League One.

If you hate Peterborough clap your hands, if you hate Peterborough clap your hands... And repeat.

Edit: Here's the goal, would VAR have given it I wonder! (Don't care :pac:)

Wrexham playing like something from a Hollywood script in League Two, drew 5 all today after being 5 - 3 down going into injury time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The younger Bellingham got 2 today, sign him up before he costs 100mill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

Made my day beating the swamp dwellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

6th place not good enough for Birmingham, who sack John Eustace, before releasing a "bizarre-ish" statement.

"A new first-team manager will be announced in the coming days who will be responsible for creating an identity and clear 'no fear’ playing style that all Birmingham City teams will adopt and embrace."

Sounds as if Wayne Rooney is on his way in, after parting company with DC United over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

‘. A misalignment" between Eustace and the club's hierarchy’ this could mean anything it’s a shame for John Eustace they’ve not been so high up the table for a long time but I don’t think he’ll be out of wrk for very long, there are shades of when they got rid of Gary Rowett.

Time will tell if Rooney can do a job, respect to him for taking on the challenge but it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Enjoying Rooney's start as City manager.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win for Wrexham away to County.

Shows you how good they both were last year by being 2nd and 3rd in the league now.

Nigel Pearson gone from Bristol City. Fans not happy, and he's ill, but can't see the next guy improving things.

Second casualty in the weekend and that means 25% of the clubs have sacked their managers already.

Albion looking good tonight beating Ipswich comfortably I don’t think they’ll get automatic promotion but a good bet for winning the play offs but as we know this league is so unpredictable and there is a long way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Another two in the championship for szmodics tonight. Seemingly this lad is Ireland qualified? Must be one of the caherciveen szmodicses….

"A new first-team manager will be announced in the coming days who will be responsible for creating an identity and clear 'no fear’ playing style that all Birmingham City teams will adopt and embrace."

Clearly their "no fear" playing style incorporates "no fear" of losing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The managerial appointment of the year story continues

Fantastic performance from Callum O Hare tonight to get two goals against Blues considering he’s been out for a year.

I think Rooney will be OK for another while even with their recent poor performances Blues are still only 7 points off the playoffs and it would be a massive humiliation and admission of failure for the directors to get rid of him now.

Seven managers sacked in League One now (Burton just sacked their coach). Hellish league to try and survive in.

It looked dicey for Jon Brady at Northampton for a few weeks at the start of the season, but we're solidly in mid table now and getting a few players back from longish injuries. The loss of Colin Calderwood to Southampton might not be a bad thing either, this has always been Brady's team and now there's hopefully no dilution of message. Up the Cobblers (fúck the Posh)

Was looking at the local paper, and Northampton's manager is now 6th longest serving in the whole EFL. He hasn't even been at the Cobblers 3 years yet. Which is all a bit mad.

Wayne Rooney: Birmingham City sack manager after just 15 games in charge - BBC Sport 83 days!

Interesting to see if they wheel this little baby out in public again! "A new first-team manager will be announced in the coming days who will be responsible for creating an identity and clear 'no fear’ playing style that all Birmingham City teams will adopt and embrace."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

"However, time is the most precious commodity a manager requires and I do not believe 13 weeks was sufficient to oversee the changes that were needed.

The 13 weeks he got were more than sufficient, he completely turned around their fortunes in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A massive mess by Birmingham City.

No need to fire Eustace in the first place, it was all about getting a big name in and that's backfired spectacularly. It also suggests that Eustace was doing a lot more than he might have got credit for. Rooney was unable to keep the momentum going.

I don't particularly feel sorry for him. If I were a manager, I'd be wary of them approaching me. Whatever about getting rid of Eustace, they didn't put a lot of faith in Rooney either. Given the fanfare surrounding his appointment, you'd have expected him to get more time and support.

Rooney on par with Lampard as a manager , Gerrard not far behind , proves like Wegenr. Mourinho, Klopp and Tuchel , thers more to being a manager/coach than being an ex great footballer, much more .

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Rooney is on the beer every night I reckon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Steve Cooper the bookies favourite for the Birmingham job, presumably he'll wait and see if the Palace job comes up first.

Lampard is being linked to it aswell but I'm assuming that's mostly parody accounts on Twitter.

Cooper far too good for City.

Agreed - unless he himself fancies a big challenge. Tony Mowbray and Gary Rowett are in the frame apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

Why can't Georgie Kelly get a look in at Rotherham?

The standard of officiating in the Primula league mightn't be great, but this is what we see in League One 😂. Not only did he not give a penalty, he booked Bowie for diving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Still third bottom but there are bad bad sides above them. Millwall, Huddersfield and Stoke are in touch. Rotherham are hopeless.

Southampton finally lost but win at West Brom which drags them back towards Coventry, Norwich and Hull.

• Advertisement

Michael Beale sacked by Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Michael Beale was a strange choice at the time, really nothing about his managerial career or character seemed like it would be acceptable to the Sunderland fans. Tough ask following a popular manager who was keeping the team in touch with the playoffs. Beale's public comments alienated fans from the off as well. A couple of managers have adopted similar approaches this year, being needlessly confrontational with the fans.

Sad news about Tony Mowbray having to step back for a number of weeks, hope to see him back before the end of the season. Hopefully Birmingham can keep the positive momentum up and not have to worry about relegation.

Had to laugh when Beale was appointed a Sunderland fan commented that ‘appointing Michael Beale was the the equivalent of asking your mum to stop off for food and she says no we have food at home.’

From being linked with the Wolves job and the QPR fallout his career has been on the downward trajectory, maybe he needs to go back as an assistant.

Calamity appointment and somehow not the worst of the season

Leicester being punished for poor finishing credit to Leeds great comeback 9 wins on the bounce

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t mind Ipswich, Coventry or even PNE going up unfortunately the gap in quality between PL clubs and Championship has got bigger over the years. I don’t think anyone wants to see teams losing every week and the PL effectively being 3 or 4 mini leagues.

Just watched some of the games tonight the Championship is probably the most entertaining League in Europe as a Villa fan I enjoyed our time there our 10 game winning run will always stay in the memory.

Likewise fans of Leeds and Ipswich going on those winning streaks is brilliant. The league is so competitive though not that I’d want us to go back there any time soon.

Interesting that the Championship used to have a reputation for being more direct and physical but I think that’s changed as teams now try and play out from the back.

I wonder if Southampton's plans for automatic promotion have gone up in smoke, after a fire right beside the ground sees tonight's game postponed. One extra fixture to fit in isn't ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had a look at the Championship table . Disappointing to see PNE in 9th , but shocked to see Sheffield Wednesday at the foot . They must be in freefall . Did they go bust a few years back ?

They'll likely stay up, in great form at the moment. Don't have a good owner, usual lark associated with that then. Do hope they lose tonight though.

Preston can feck off though, no ambition to really go up (although probably good to see a team not risking it all for promotion). The Crystal Palace of he championship really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sorry to hear that . I was in Deepdale a few times , before they did it up

Ah don't listen to me bout Preston, just sour cos they shithoused Leeds twce recently, although last it backfired last time.

Looking at League one John Mousinho looking like an inspired choice of manager should he get Portsmouth promoted

Cobblers the most popular team in League One after beating Derby today. Pompey, Bolton and even P****oro fans all posting their thanks on Twitter :Pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement