Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'd say its coming down the tracks for Beef too, what a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mayoireland

I sold sheep to the factory at the end of the summer for 2.65 kg .I always remember it over 3to 3.50 .got a fright when I saw the check. Fed up with sheep problems only let rams out for 30 days all the rest are for factory. I'm heading back into cows less trouble

Post edited by mayoireland on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Yeah i scanned on December 7th, 130 ewes= 28 singles,70 twins,25 triplets, 2 quads and 4 empty. 1.93

scanned last year on 20/12/22

Results were 130 ewes exactley scanned as well 130= 39 singles, 73 twins, 13 triplets, 1 quad and 4 empty. 1.75

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

That's a great scan. Well done.

I wasn't too optimistic when letting out my own rams. The ewes weren't in as good condition as other years. I was pleasantly surprised with how much they had thrived after 5 weeks when I was taking away the rams, so hopeful enough for a decent scan.

• Advertisement

Just reading an old farmers journal from 18th Nov. Darren Carty says their is 44.14 Million breeding ewes in Australia but the lamb kill for 2023 is to surpas 22million head, how is this working if their is 44 million breeding stock. I suppose maybe some percentage of hoggets in that that dont lamb as ewe lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Hi guys , just a quick one , I got lambs killed in the factory the other day, but seeing on the docket the few days later , I wasn’t paid for one . They have the lambs tag number on the kill sheet , and have a 1.8kg for carcass weight but zero for payment and f&h written beside it ?? Couldn’t get through to the factory today , so I’m wondering what those the f&h stand for ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

a lot of them ewes are merino ewes that are run dry and sheared twice a year….too much labour and cost in lambing them for poor returns so they just run them dry and take the wool

Any tips on how to get 2 rams to get along? They were together all last summer and got along OK, not best pals but not much problems. I have them in a 8 x 5 pen with 2 weeks and they're still having a go at each other. I left them out in to a larger pen today and within 5 minutes they were facing off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

I'd try starve them for a day. Then when they get out they should be more interested in eating than fighting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭DJ98

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12709821/amp/Its-Lynx-effect-rams.html

Happy new year all.

Just wondering I'd there an online way to keep up to date with purchases and usage of products for to keep up to date with bord bia. I logged in but can't seem to see anything

Do people find crystalyx buckets worth the money? Currently using nutribio high energy buckets but a group of 80 ewes is going through 4 every 3 days which is ridiculously expensive at 24 euro each. Will be bringing them home this week to start feeding Silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Le shovelle

Ive been using the rumenco maxx energy lick buckets for the last 2 years because they were slightly cheaper but I've gone back to crystalyx this year and a bucket definitely lasts longer.

The lick seems to be a lot harder and therefore they don't go through as much. Although I think the crystalyx is around 30 each though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Used crystalyx for first time this Yr. (, well last year now) and think the ewes are looking well. Over the years I have used other brands but had given up on licks as I thought they were a waste of money.

I tried crysralyx after seeing them on so many youtube channels and doing a bit of research.

The molasses is cooked to extract a certain amount of moisture and this apparently helps to limit intake. I had some reservations about urea being used but it seems to be not a problem.

Ewes are housed now and have changed to feeding half a kg. of 19% he nut. Meal prices well down on last year but still a bit too high.

Hoping everyone has successful lambing season 2024 and gets rewarded for your efforts.

Homeland is selling them online at 30.50 each and then 50 euro delivery but obviously the more you buy the cheaper they get, have been quoted 35 locally for them so think I'll buy a number of them off homeland and have them delivered to the door

im using lifeline buckets, really drives good quality colostrum. i find until they are getting adequate levels of meal feeding and they are balanced up to thier nutrient requirements they will mill through buckets but once they are getting enough nutes they are not half as hard on buckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Just a reminder to each farmer to get the Census filled in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Not sure exactly but I think some time in January. You can do it on agfood. Only takes a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Scanned last night. 42 ewes

2 empty

7 singles

33 doubles

If my sums are right, that’s a scan of 1.74

Not super, but not the worst either I guess. 2 empty is maybe a bit high, but the ram was only in for 18 days, so can’t have it every way…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Tileman

That’s a good return dinzee. This time next year you’ll have doubled the number of ewes lambing again. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Scanned yesterday - 109 ewes

3 empty, 33 singles, 66 doubles, 7 trips = 1.70

Good lot of singles but cant see any pattern by age or breed.

Will have lots of chances to foster anyway !

Nice scan all the same Dinzee. Very straight forward lambing hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Scanned New Years Day.

4 triplets,

40 twins

11 singles

1 barren 1.86/ewe

ewe lambs.

8 singles

4 doubles

1 barren 1.23/ewe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Advertisement

What's the AIM app. Is it advantageous for flock keepers? What does it do??

I think board bia should have an app we're all relevant info can be uploaded easily. Including performance of stock and not just stuff for bord bia.

Maybe they do have something but I can't seem to find it

Advertisement