Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Import a motorcycle from EU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

The literal definition of a box ticking exercise...... Did they put the power output at 55555?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Any particular German (or other EU) dealers that are recommended? Been after a clean, low mileage Gen 2 MT09 for some time but prices, and mileage, here seem a bit too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How do folks find dealing with German or Netherlands dealers relation to offers. I.e money off, haggling. Interested in Used GS but not too sure what should be offering really. E.g bike is 16,990 what would one ask bargaining wise without being construed as rude/off the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Generally you can small haggle, but not by as much as the % we do here :)

If the price is (on balance) reasonable - they tend to advertise them for what they'd actually want for them - I'd have no problem pitching under the asking price by a bit. I think I got €500 of a €30k bike.

Historically, dealing with BMW dealers getting a couple of hundred off was a Big Deal.

I do think NL-ers are more haggle-able than the Germans.

[Edit: sis-in-law NL, has told me 10% is a fair pitch under the asking in NL]

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CONNOLL

Morning! Has anyone here used Jartka Trans for importing a bike. If so was is a good experience? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I used Jarvis and they were great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Raj.ynwa

Hi,

anyone bought a bike from Germany or mainland Europe from a private seller and had it shipped using likes of Jarvis etc, How did ye pay for the bike? Online transaction on the day of collection?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Frank60

Hi

Great discussion here and very helpful for someone. like me, thinking of importing from Europe 👍

Question:

Do the VRT look for proof of transport like ferry ticket from Cherbourg to Rosslare etc. If you shipped from, say NL , via UK to Ireland, would they look for both ferry tickets? Has anyone taken that route via UK?

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭sirmixalot

Yep, well just to prove how it entered the country.

Revolut... paid deposit in advance, the rest on the day of collection.

• Advertisement

yes, you'll need to provide proof of ferry etc : they take a copy of it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

If you use someone like Jarvis, they'll give you proof of the ferry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The ticket is actually very important because that's the date of entry. So vrt is calculated from that date.

Thanks all.

I guess the reason for the ticket question is that I intend to buy in NL, ship but not import to UK, get some engine work done by a tried and trusted shop in UK, then ship to Ireland after maybe 1 to 2 months ,depending on level of work required, then register/VRT in Ireland. Assuming I can get it into UK without importing it, will Irish VRT/Customs process it as an EU bike (bike is registered in NL and is 45 years old) even though the ferry date from NL to UK could be two months old. Does it matter when the bike left NL, will they still process it as an EU bike on entry to Ireland attracting no VAT/VRT because of age/mileage etc? Hope this makes some sense 🤔

Just show the UK-RoI boarding pass - that's all that matters. I had mine paid for long before I collected mine, so my buy date and shipping date didn't match anyway, so it's moot.

Ode To The Motorist

Sounds alot of effort. Why not bring here VRT it then drop to UK shop at your leisure.. saves all the customs Work which will not be as handy as you may believe into the UK then onwards here.

You're absolutely right, I wasn't thinking clearly. I have brought a couple of Jap 4x4 into Ireland via UK, pre Brexit, there was a huge VAT saving (5% vs 23%), even then it was tricky enough. Thank you 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I live in France and the best place to look for bikes here, even from professional sellers is leboncoin.fr (the link to motorcycle category is: https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?category=3) (it's the French equivalent of donedeal or buyandsell but as I say, professional sellers list there also systematically)

Hey just wanted to confirm. A NI reg bike new in 2019 isn't VAT applicable just VRT , that's correct right ?

• Advertisement

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Seweryn

So, a NI bike in this case is treated for VRT same way as a bike imported from EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alesironi

Hi all, just going to import a used bike (2010 with 14000 km) from Italy so from EU. Of couse have original registration document and proof of sale. What's the COC (Certificate of Conformity?) is it needed for an used motorbike? how do I get it? https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/coming-to-live-in-ireland/importing-car-into-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's already been registered in the EU so shouldn't be needed afaik, that article says the CoC refers to new vehicles i.e. not already registered

Scrap the cap!

You'll need the logbook for the bike

It's registered in EU you won't need COC

You'll need receipt for bike

You'll need receipt of the date it entered ireland.e.g Ferry ticket booking proof.

Then you'll need to pay VRT at local NCT centre prebooked obviously.

I believe its 5 days to VRT payment from entry to Ireland it used to be 30 days.

You can get VRT quote from revenue online calculator.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and just a sidenote, they want to see the engine and frame number where it's actually stamped on the frame and engine. Can be awkward on a bike with fairing.

I'm surprised that CoC is a thing for registering a new vehicle though (although presumably something the dealer takes care of.) I always thought that as long as the VIN plate has the UNECE conformity mark - E in a circle with a number - you were golden. Heard of problems alright with non-European market imports which don't have the E mark.

Scrap the cap!

Ode To The Motorist

For any new vehicle, no matter how many wheels it has, you have to have a CoC or it can't be registered by Revenue.

I'm involved with Type Appoval sometimes for new vehicles, and some manufacturers (e.g. Mercedes) have all their CoC's on an EU database which will automatically populate online when you're doing paperowork, but a lot of the others still rely on paper (read: pdf) of an actual Cert, per vehicle.

Ode To The Motorist

I had to do engine on mine. It was dirty, and the engine was really hot. Took about 20 minutes!

• Advertisement

Caveat here. Reading nct website today again. Looks to still be 30 days. No idea where 5 came from could have sworn I read that on here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Probably from the Revenue. You're meant to make an appointment in 7 days, for a date within 30 days of entering the State.

Having said that, there doesn't appear to be a penalty for the seven day rule. The only penalty is for the 30 day rules which is 0.01% of VRT due per day over 30 days. Indeed, last time I registered a car, I made an appointment after about 2 weeks for a date that was 27 or 28 days after the entry, No bother at all over it.

Now, I have a couple of "motorcycles" that I brought in pre-Brexit. As they were in bits and boxes, I didn't even bother to make an appointment as they won't register things that are other than complete "mechanically propelled vehicles". They could in theory penalise me for 3 years worth of VRT. In reality though 0.01% per day times zero... (they are both over 30 years old)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If VAT is due on an import from the EU, how is it calculated?

Is it 23% of the purchase price or 23% of what Revenue value it at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My last visit they insisted on an engine number, bike was manky, I'd just ridden from Poland and booked the VRT appointment for the day I was back, after cleaning it and calling it out to yer man the feckin engine number isn't on my VLC, it's just blank.

They'll always want the engine number it has to go on your logbook. No way around it. That fella made a blunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If it is, or its left to someone. It'll be alot harder then. But really simply for you. Worth it.

Anyone know how to register to contact seller on Leboncoin?

Setup a virtual French number, you will only need to receive one text message.

I done this last year and the site have never needed the number again.

• Advertisement

What app or site did you use to set up the number?

Android app, I have changed my phone since and can't remember the name. But I will check if it is still on the old one later.

Isn't VAT payable on the original value? Possibly descending after a number of years...

I was looking at something that would have been cheaper to buy and pay the VAT on from the EU than buying it here.

Vat + VRT... They often look cheaper, because in Ireland there's additional VRT to consider. If you buy second hand, then no VAT is applicable. I've imported a bike from Germany and worked out great from me.

Yeah with transport, VAT and VRT it would have been cheaper than buying it here.

Second hand and more than 6,000km for no VAT. A lot of what is for sale in the EU has low enough mileage.

I've been looking in Germany too, they are very quick to reply and I would think easy to deal with. Belgium the same.

The French, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Really depends on what bike.

Plenty of models, Ireland is the cheapest place to buy.

Problem is the good ones are gone in a flash.

Surely if you're prepared to go through the hassle of importing from the continent, it makes more sense to go for a bike which qualifies as VAT free? Lots of nice bikes out there and someone else has taken the initial depreciation hit.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can anyone find me a clean, well looked after low mileage, reasonably priced green, white and blue ZXR750 anywhere or know of one?

A mint one sold for 2 something on done deal recently.

Would have loved to have gotten it for that price 🥴

Advertisement