Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

50/60kwh average during winter is crazy stuff. Have you got anyone to look at your setup?

any idea what the hot water is using on its own during summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Ya its pretty high. Yes, have had more than one look at the setup. Days with frost all day I can hit 100kw (heating and general elec). Hot water is around 7-8kw. I suspect the buffer tank could be removed. A new system would not have two circs at manifolds, 7kw straight way saved by not having them running most of the time.

😎

2006/7 pumps, use 250-350 on full whack, so tipping away at ~150-200, two of them so 300watts per hour, by 24 hours = 7.2KW.

I have changed to wall dials to electronic timers now (these old zone dials on wall call the circ pumps on), so timers mean i have these back to ~12 hours in the last few weeks.

😎

the big Q is how many KW would a new pump use - extremely hard to quantify it. There are is no remaining paperwork for UFH to assure ourselves everything is sufficient.

Please challenge me on the following calculations!

Heat geeks suggest a 2006/7 house has heat loss of 40watts/ SQM. And suggests multiply this by 1500 to get annual heat loss.

40watt*350metres*1500= 21,000,000 watts, or 21000KW of heat required per annum.

assuming COP of 2.5= 8400KW of actual electricity input required

If my heating is required about 150 days a year, this suggests 56kw per day.

If my current average is 50-60KW, this suggests I am more or less in line with HeatGeek rule of thumb? It seems hard to believe, but this is what has left me unsure that a new pump will result in drastically reduced usage!

For some comparison, if this logic is correct those in a 250sqm house would need 40KW a day with a 2.5 COP, and 33KW per day with 3.0 COP. A 2009 or better house could be half that (being closer to 20watts/sqm).

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Your stats set to 20’? Mind me asking what your winter electric bills are every 2 months?

we’re a family of 5 with a very busy house. Hot water daily usage all year round is 2.5kwh.

• Advertisement

rooms generally 19-20 upstairs and down. Do you mean 2.5kw using a heat pump? Mine is ~7-8 using immersion, Our tank is huge. Family of 4, two rug rats frequently using bath.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭zoom_cool

A COP of 2.5 is low even Heat Geeks claim that 3.5 COP should be the min if setup correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Were you not saying a few posts back that you use 22kwh per day in summer which is hot water only? This is using the heat pump?

But you’re also saying that you can get a days worth of hot water using 8kwh with an immersion?

Can you explain?

22kw in summer is entire house usage i.e hot water, fridge, wifi...etc. This is the best way for people to get a rough idea what their actual heating system is using (if they dont have a KW counter on their pump)

😎

"A COP of 2.5 is low even Heat Geeks claim that 3.5 COP should be the min if setup correctly."

a recent UCD study and oireahtas report suggested over 50% of heat pumps and other eco-tech in ireland are not being installed properly! This is heat geeks main value prop - they are vehement that most systems are being installed poorly.

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Ok. This makes sense now. And of that 22kwh your using 8kwh for hot water with an immersion?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

If they did a study around insulation retrofits the outcomes would likely be similar unfortunately. My estate is littered with poorly installed external insulation, its sad as people are paying a lot of money and the contractors are likely pocketing the grant on top.

I think these reports are misleading using words like suggested tells me it is plucking figures out of the sky wouldn't believe them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

It certainly appears to be one device that can physically be installed perfectly, but can be royally fooked up with incorrect settings

If they spent less time generating reports about badly installed installations which they are funding and spent more time making mandatory centralized monitoring of systems they would be better off. They cant generate these reports with the data which they dont have so all suggestive. And if installs are not up to scratch strike off the installers from getting peoples grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

My personal opinion is that heatpumps, while will physically be installed by plumbers, should be designed, spec'd and commissioned by heating engineers.

The big problem I see especially with plumbers is that they do things in ways that "they always go it", which doesn't mean that it's the right way. And this starts with balancing rads, using guestimation rather than tools like an IR Camera or at least thermometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Well from nov5 to jan5 I used just over 40% less units then same period in my first winter 22/23. This reduction down to cutting 7 zones down to just 1 for my 242sqm bungalow. Running fixed flow temp 29 or 30. Only for a renewable heating forum I found I wouldn't have known how badly commissioned my hp was. Very happy with current t usage and house now warmer 21/22 throughout. Setback over night. House generally 20 /21 in morning's which is plenty warm. Zoning is a big no no I feel.

I have little doubt half the insulation and pumps are being flung in incorrectly, all you have to do is looking at the amount of forum and facebook threads about heat pumps costing a fortune, more than oil....my own pump is a disaster, but mechanically it seems to be working as prescribed, the issue is most likely in the location, size, and decisions around buffer tanks, hot water tanks, circulation pumps, UFH pipe lenghts etc.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

I am aiming for a 30% reduction on heat pumps this year. The installer just left the pump with standard settings and walked away. I have dropped the system temp from preset 45 to 32 degrees at -6 outdoor. Before this I had a required room temp set at 18, even though is was about 20/21. The desired room temp on the heat pump parallel offets the curve so this is now back at the 21. I have now aligned the actual room temp with the desired on the heat pump. Plenty of messing around to get a consistent temperature, but the room I use as a reference is now about 20.5 degrees no matter what the weather is outside. All room stats are now disabled and some rooms such as bedrooms are controlled using the underfloor manifold valves.

I changed this at the start of december, the compressor now never runs at 100% even under freezing outside and my consumption is now max 25kwh per day, where is was about 40 on cold days before. As the curve is now almost flat, it also makes a big difference even when the temp is 7-8 outside, where is always felt a bit chilly. Have the desired room temperature set at 21 at night and 20 during the day. Got most of my info on adjusting the curve or "breaking the curve" from swedish forums.

COP for the last few weeks, the peaks are defrost cycles:

25 for heating /dhw or total for house? How big is your house?

• Advertisement

No, thats only the heating including DWH. It's 250m2.

Still good usage. I'm similar in below freezing for heatpump. Currently 15- 18 in these conditions.242sqm

Yeah it is, compared to what some here seem to be getting. A1 rated house. The house is comfortable, im not sure id get away with anything less than 20 degrees. I'm about 20kwh for the last 2 days, in the Midlands so last couple of nights have been down to 1 or 2. Not supposed to get much about 4 degrees here until next Thursday, even during the day, that will test it out.

Yeah a2 in Midlands myself. Below 20 is chilly to be watching tv in. 21-22 herself has to have ha.Some days last winter total house usage 70kwh.Wednesday was 22kwh for whole house. Alot people just think it's normal and never alter an y settings.

been looking to see if i can set a certain flow temp and turn weather comp off, but i am not sure i can....maybe it requires a stat or internal sensor that mine doesnt have. cant seem to knock weather comp off, only adjust curve end point and move curve up and down

😎

Should be setting in installer. I changed to fixed in October a d hhad do that in installer mode. Much happier. Took week or more to find lowest flow temperature keeps house warm in any temp. 29 or 30 does the trick for my house. Cycles too much 28 and below.

Any spell getting into -3 and - 4, my compressor would run 100% trying and getting nowhere near trying to achieve a system temperature of 40 plus degrees. Now it is at 32, should make some difference. This will be the first cold spell for comparison.

I was using 50 or 60 kwh some days on heating last winter. I also disabled the additional heater, but probably no need as won't be needed now unless it gets extremely cold. Madness that there such a lack of knowledge with installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Just a note on your 40% reduction in units; new builds typically are drying out for the first winter (or two depending) and this drying process costs energy so some of the reduction seen may be because of this.

Yeah was told this but that's hard to quantify. I'd. Be confident vast majority from altering settings and dezoning as friends in new houses with few years longer and they haven't seen any noticeable reductions as they didn't alter installer settings or zoning.

• Advertisement

What brand is it? I have an IVT/Bosch it only allows you to change one end point as well.

I dont think weather compensation is an issue, you just need to find what the suitable flow temperature is for your specific house. Lowering the heat curve will lower the flow temperature. Once you get it right, the temp inside should stay fairly consistent no matter what the weather is outside. The methodology i followed is here:

• Adjust the heat curve to a suitable flow temperature (say 31 for underfloor), at expected minimum outside temp (I used -6). I read that for every degree you can lower the curve, you save roughly 3% on energy consumption.
    • On the heat pump set the desired room temperature (I used 21 as this is default heat curve, without an parallel offset). This isnt a measured temperature, but is used to parallel offset the curve.
    • When it is around 0 degrees or preferably less outside, check if the desired room termperature is achieved in a suitable reference room using a termometer. If it is 2 degress too hot inside, you can lower the curve. Opposite if too cold. Wait 24 hours before more changes are made.
    • Once you dont need to adjust anymore you are at a suitable temperature.

All thermostats must be set to maximum in the house and any indoor sensors must be disconnected when setting the heating curve.

Just to note as well, almost all my room stats are not accurate anymore, some are more than 1 degree out when checked against other new termometers. They are only 6 years old and I didnt use them for this exercise.

It is described here for geothermal pumps, but is the same prinicple. You will need to translate. The Key part is about half way down the first post. https://www.varmepumpsforum.com/vpforum/index.php?topic=48516.0

Advertisement