Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Last February we had little or no rain for the whole month.

It does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭squarecircles

MET EIREANN EXTENDED RANGE UPDATE,

Week 1 (Monday 08 January to Sunday 14 January)

High pressure is expected to dominate our weather during week 1 of the forecast period. As a result, conditions are expected to be drier than average across the country. Temperatures are expected to be colder than average and possibly up to 4 degrees below average in some western and southwestern areas.

Week 2 (Monday 15 January to Sunday 21 January)

Week 2 will likely see high pressure situated to the northwest and low pressure situated over the continent. As a result, precipitation amounts are signalled to be close to normal or slightly above along eastern coastal areas but elsewhere precipitation is expected to below average. Temperatures into week 2 are also signalled to remain below average.

Week 3 (Monday 22 January to Sunday 28 January)

Looking ahead to week 3, confidence in the forecast begins to wane, however current indications suggest a signal for high pressure to exert influence. This again will generally lead to colder than average conditions mainly for the west and southwest. Precipitation amounts look like remaining below average or close to average in most areas, with slightly above average values in southern and eastern coastal counties.

Week 4 (Monday 29 January to Sunday 04 February)

Looking ahead to week 4, uncertainty in the forecast increases once again. A weak signal for high pressure to persist is signalled. With temperatures likely to remain around average for the period. Drier than average conditions in most areas are also signalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

That forecast, with references to west and southwest having colder temps, suggest they believe high pressure will remain over or close to Ireland and will bear an easterly or northeasterly component. I remember pre-Nov/Dec 2010 that Met Eireann's longer range outlook carried a similar tone (I'm not putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5). Ultimately, it's not screaming mild Altantic westerlies nor is it cheerleading an impending deep cold spell.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What we don't want to see is a trend for the gfs members in increasing numbers to follow the op then have others models followed suit. We don't want the scatter to become a flip. A mid latitude block seems to be what the UKMO texted forecast has in mind, this would not be the worst outcome provided it's far enough away to allow a proper northerly in. It might not be the best outcome if it's really deep cold and a sustained cold spell you seek, but as long it's cold enough for it to snow and stick around for a bit most of us would be happy in the end

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

UKMO long range is a little more precise with its forecast around placement of the high and resultant northerly intrusion.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Yes, it seems fairly clear they don't envisage a Greenland high, but it does suggest we can get a northerly and perhaps a good one. I could be wrong but my reading of the Met Eireann long range is something smiliar, so again we could have an airmass that is bone dry for the majority or something a bit better. I think it's safe to say we will say goodbye to the puddles for a while in any case . Is there any poster out there who is going to miss them?

Clare (410ft asl)

A decent looking ICON

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Just on the UKMO , the update for final week of January is rather interesting. It mentions possible snow events due to Atlantic incursions, the caveat being that might be just for the UK while we are the wrong side of marginal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

IF it's a northerly we end up with then that will be a continuation of the dry weather for the most part unless we can get polar lows and those are so rare. Northerlies usually only deliver snow to Scotland and eastern coastal fringes of England and north Wales and parts of Northern Ireland if pressure there is not too high.

• Advertisement

In more recent times i would agree with you, but when I was younger we often had decent northerlies, granted they didn't last very long though. December 2000 and 2010 being the notable exception in terms of longetivity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That's why I don't look/wish for northerlies anymore as they are usually dry and short lived affairs, glancing blows. We have only had 2 noteworthy northerlies in 25 years which is why I always wish for easterlies or north-easterlies, at least if you can get those with a decent level of cold snow is much more widespread for Ireland. Having said that easterlies are rare too and any easterly we have had since 2018 has either been dry or not enough of a cold pool for them to deliver snow. We haven't had much luck since 2018 really.

Clare (410ft asl)

GEM remains right on track for a plunge of cold air from the northeast on Sunday week (9 days). It is a near perfect run synoptics wise. GFS is drastically different to the morning run, though it is an improvement on same re: cold. A low system impedes the development of the high. Might be one of those op runs that may not be well supported but that's 24 hours of the GFS producing some kind of a shortwave. In fact, GFS seems ratgher keen on a westerly-based negative NAO which makes it nigh on impossible to predict what outcome there will be. GEM below. All eyes on ECM

UKMO looks decent too

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Look at that cold across Scandinavia, surely we can tap into some of that cold

A west based NAO is usually bad for us if the jet isn't far enough south. I hope the GFS is not on to something with these recent runs introducing spoiler shortwaves, let's hope it's a bit of an outlier among its members

Certainly no cold or snow anytime soon based on that GFS 12z operational run, it's a bit on it's own in that regard compared to the GEM and UKMO which does offer some hope. The ECM this evening needs to deliver.

Looking at what's rolling out so far the GFS 12z is very much a mild outlier almost on it's own up to January 13th which is far as we can see right now. Whatever way we look at it, the GFS is going through some major model wobbling right now.

Clare (410ft asl)

Going through the GEM perturbations and they are excellent up to next weekend but beyond 240hrs split into two camps, namely a fully restored Atlantic southwesterly or a screaming easterly. Beyond 120 hours is Disneyland at this stage but just an observation that a post middle of the month split is developing that wasn't there up to last night. Gfs is not much different post 240 hours to gem.

Lends itself to MTCs morning forecast

www.x.com/wolfeeire

The uncertainty is certainly growing. The GFS 12z is introducing yet more milder runs but also some very cold ones, overall it shortens the cold spell down to about 3 to 5 days. GEM widens the scatter yet again with very cold and very mild runs so right now I feel all we can do is wait to see where that high pressure goes into next weekend.

A bit of model chaos going on not really knowing where that high pressure ends up, will it get to Greenland and position itself there or will it just sink back south over us and lets the Atlantic back in or will we just sit under high pressure for weeks on end.

We may have to wait a week before we know if were going to end up with a bust or no mans land or a proper cold and snowy outbreak. We're going to need plenty of patience over the next few days, this is a slow burner.

The GFS mild runs are getting milder and the cold runs are getting colder so great uncertainty past next weekend.

The KMA is certainly looking better than the GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

12z ECM taking a jump towards the GFS unfortunately with much weaker blocking over GL.

Often is the GFS op that leads the way in watering down these scenarios

• Advertisement

If ever a chart, left you scratching your head this is it . A stunning NH profile, but still it's a struggle to get the deep cold in for us.

The villain of the piece from December is seemingly back again to spoil things

I knew it wasn't a good sign when the scatter started to emerge. Sometimes an op run like the GFS can lead the way against the ensembles and then more ensembles start to trend wrong . I fear we could now see yet more ensembles flip to a milder outcome. Not a great start to the weekend, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pad199207

Confidence in teleconnections and background drivers will take a hit with this if GFS pulls this out of the bag.

Dry & Crisp works for me! 👍

We just can't catch a break can we. Hopefully we will see some sort of an improvement tomorrow and over the next few days and if not then back to model watching waiting for the next cold outbreak but if we miss this one then we're looking into February.

Well to contradict myself again, the ECM might possibly get there in the end, but it's messy overall. I don't like the signal to lose heights into Greenland. Let's see if this ECM op run has much support

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Really dislike how the Alaskan heights are pulling those Greenland heights away which makes the -NAO west based. The GFS seen this and now the ECM too. What a load of rubbish. Roll on spring.

All I can say is I really hope your reverse psychology works, Sryan:). It really is frustrating, though. People were slated on another forum for highlighting the risk of a west based NAO, but now it would appear the GFS may have been right, even though it's supposedly coming in third or fourth in the verification stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Issue with going by those verification stats is they are only relevant for the current point in time like the Kp index in chasing auroras. Can be a good guide depending on the circumstance but doesn't preclude quick changes in trend or flips that the poor performing model can witness.

I am fed up of winter. Genuinely lost any bit of interest I have had in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

But this is just it, the teleconnections and background driver data that the wordy experts are using on forums are coming from the same model runs. Is just a different way of looking at the NWP output.

Yesterday's 00z runs were showing a very amplified pattern, it's no surprise the forecast "background drivers" on yesterday's 00z output was supportive of an amplified pattern, it's just two different ways of looking at the same output. Today the background drivers are less supportive of an amplified pattern as you'd expect.

Analysis of the teleconnections as predicted by NWP adds nothing to just taking the predicted surface conditions at face value from the same set of runs. It just sounds more "technical" to talk AAM, MTs and MJO than posting a t850hpa chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Why is it so bloody hard to get heights to stay over Greenland!!

Anyway, let's see what the ECM mean looks like.

Let's try keep the faith. There was always going to be wobbles after those perfect charts last two days. It's never ever plane sailing for deep cold and snow in this country.

• Advertisement

I think the real lessons to take from background drivers is this: they can lead to a synoptically stunning nh profile but it doesn't mean you will automatically get a cold spell arising from them. Getting cold in for us is a bit like having a three thousand piece jigsaw only to find the last two pieces missing. If something can go wrong to scupper a cold spell it usually will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement