Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Because there is a legal responsibility for signatories to the Geneva convention to prevent genocide.

Out of interest, what's the distance between Washington and Tel Aviv?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Except you cannot deny that crapping on Israel is a politically expedient move as animus towards Israel is prevalent in both the Far-Left and Islamic movements.

And South Africa decided to get involved in all this, so they are now relevant. We're entitled to ask why a corrupt and incompetent government in charge of a dying hellhole seems to regard a politically expedient position on a conflict 6000 kilometres away as one of its top priorities.

It should also be remembered that South Africa has a ... questionable ... relationship with the ICC as they granted Vladimir Putin diplomatic immunity from arrest on foot of an ICC warrant if he visited South Africa. So it seems that the corrupt and incompetent government of South Africa is ... politically selective in its outrage.

But it's not a "quarrel" is it? SA believe it is genocide by Israel on the Palestinians.

And they are legally obliged to do what they are doing.

I'd imagine the Israeli murder rate over the last three months puts the SA murder rate in the ha'penny place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

But again that doesnt make their accusations false. So if it wasnt them, any number of the countries that have publicly come out against the Israeli action in the UN could have initiated this. If Ireland had done this, i m sure you would be crapping all over Ireland as a country in the same way.

It is a quarrel. Israel wants to continue existing and protect it civilians from Hamas, Hezbollah and their foreign sponsors, and the other side wants the Jews dead and Israel wiped off the map. But it's still funny how the ANC of South Africa does not have the same problem with Russia and Vladimir Putin ...

And it's quite interesting that you compare the Israeli "murder" rate with South Africa considering that South Africa isn't at war.

• Advertisement

You brought up the SA murder rate, I didn't.

And no, genocide is not a "quarrel".

Israel is committing genocide in Gaza and SA are taking a case, as required by the Geneva convention, against Israel.

Why are you getting so excited? Maybe the court will find in favour of Israel? Would that not be a good thing - put the whole genocide fake news thing to bed once and for all?

Or are you outraged in case the alternative transpires?

Firstly, I think it's a little bit suspect that the ANC which had no problem rolling out the red carpet for actual genocidal dictators like Vladimir Putin, has such a problem with a tiny democracy 6000km away that's been locked in an existential struggle for 75 years. I would have thought stopping their own country from imploding under the weight of their own incompetence, corruption and malevolence would have been higher priorities.

And I'm dubious about Israel getting a fair trial considering how much of the world is against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So we have reached the point where the argument is being made that the majority world is against Israel, but that doesnt suggest Israel is in the wrong just the majority of wolrd is wrong. All independent thought has gone out the window now.

• Advertisement

Extreme levels of animus towards Israel are long standing and pre-date the 7th of October. And you have to fault the ANC for having such a problem with Israel when they were more than happy to roll out the red carpet for Vladimir Putin. That would seem to be a double-standard, no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I strongly doubt any nation is going to be in a hurry to step into that breach.

Peacekeeping requires that both sides be amenable to the UN presence, and right now, I doubt that's about to happen. The alternative is peace enforcement, and I can't imagine many countries are going to want to put their troops up against the Israeli military, and if it's against Hamas, they'll take it about as well as they take Israel enforcing peace upon them.

Or they can try the relatively toothless observation which is going on in UNIFIL, which was originally set up for a different set of circumstances entirely compared to the current Hesbollah-dominated environment. The Irish troops there are doing sterling work for the local population, but when it comes to actually affecting either Hesbollah operations such as armament collection and preparations, or stopping escalations between the two sides (Face it, when the shooting starts, they take cover, which is perfectly reasonable), it's all but pointless.

But it's not Israel versus the world. SA have taken a case of genocide against Israel. That's all.

If Israel has sufficient proof that they are not carrying out genocide, there is nothing for them to be worried about.

Do you really think the International Court of Justice is partial?

Yes I would think any favouritism to russia is wrong. But that doesnt mean their accusations against Israel are wrong.

You appear to be looking at every part of this conflict through Israeli tinted glasses. Plenty of countries have voted against Israel such as Switzerland who does not have a long running grudge against Israel and is mostly neutral in world affairs. If you want to suggest that the rest of world is wrong in everything they are saying about Israel in this conflict then I guess Israel will never be wrong in your eyes. If that is the case, we may as well be conversing with an Israeli government spokesman just reading from an approved script.

Tell me - why does anyone "have to fault the ANC"? They are perfectly entitled to have a problem with Israel if they so wish.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else has to not like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What's going on here?

Just the IDF being their usual scummy selves

What has the distance of SA from Israel got to do with anything?

I did ask the distance between Washington and Israel but you didn't answer. Perhaps because you realised my question was as pointless as your assertion?

And then you get into the "size" of Israel. What is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That’d be weird though. If the North Koreans criticised them, would the logical reaction really be “Jaysus even the North Koreans are horrified”?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

Those times before and during WW2 when majority of the world including this country blocked Jewish refugees from entering and seeking safety from gas chambers and literal Nazis

Or couple centuries before that majority of world including all of Europe didn’t bat an eyelid at slavery

Moral of story; majority of world could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Isn't it mental that this keeps getting posted over and over again as if it is somehow relevant to anything.

"You can't say this phrase, because another language has a phrase with a different meaning and translation which I don't like and that proves the English phrase is antisemitic" - even though the English phrase being said literally has nothing to do with any form of antisemitism.

What next - cheering "up the Dubs" will be antisemitic because in Iran they have some phrase which translates to English as "boo to the jews" in football stadia?

• Advertisement

That is true, but it is probably better to judge each situation on its own merits. Israel is not automatically wrong or right based on its own history or the history of the Jews.

The ANCs standard seems to be "we have a legal obligation to prevent genocide ... nudge, nudge, wink, wink, unless we're best buddies with the perpetrators." If you're fine with that ... I don't know what to say, frankly.

I judge Israel on the basis of its history and context - i.e. being a small country with horrifying military geography, a small population, that has been constantly under attack since the day it was founded, surrounded by mortal enemies not only on its borders but widely across the world.

That doesn't make me a shill or a hasbra bot or some such ridiculous epithet, just someone who has understanding of geopolitics and a desire to judge people and groups fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It hasn't been the case at other points in human history where society decided - "well, now that we are more civilised and educated, lets set about dismantling basic human rights for others".

What you are advocating there would be analogous to - given you used the example yourself - some country reintroducing slavery as an official policy and when the majority of other countries are critical, saying "well the majority has been wrong in the past so they could be wrong again".

Just because Israel is an underdog doesn't mean it is always right or can do no wrong. I don't think you are shill you just display 100% support for everything Israel does in your many posts you post here daily. I don't think it is good to be that uncritical of any country or group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

They're just another in the long line of re-regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

By exactly the same logic, one could argue that perhaps the world is also wrong about what happened on October 7th?

You can't have it both ways in 2024 with instant news...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But it's not that it sucks for Israel that SA didn't report Russia for genociding Ukrainians, it sucks for the Ukrainians.

Fairness shouldn't involve turning a blind eye, instead of you know, reporting more countries for their despicable acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

• Advertisement

Now you really aren't making sense.

Can I suggest you have a look at what the ICJ is and what it does. Then take a look at the SA document submitted to the ICJ - it clearly states SAs legal obligation (along with every other signatory's obligation) to prevent genocide. SA have simply complied with their obligations and presented their evidence. It's about 80 pages long.

I am perfectly fine with an international convention on genocide that is adjudicated upon by an international court (the World Court) in an impartial manner that strives to judge wrongdoers.

If you're not fine with that, then frankly, I don't know what to say either...

Unless of course Israel is found guilty? Is that what is stressing you out? Don't be - as I've said, if Israel has sufficient evidence, there will no adjudication against them.

I really don't know why you have a bee in your bonnet about this? Any other signatory could have done the same as SA.

In fact, it is of course perfectly possible that SA mooted they might do this then a load of other countries rocked up and said "yes please".

Advertisement