Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

So 11.5k to move up 1.5 years, or 7666 p.a - based on the quote in front of you and not based on ‘what if’ cost in six months.

Sorry but that’s a massive cost to change for a small family hatchback - be it a very nice one.

People are swapping two year old Corolla’s for 6k. Octavia 7k. I was offered 8k cost to change on a Tiguan Allspace. The other poster is changing a the Rav4 for the same 8k too.

I get that running costs might be lower if you are on rate night at home or charging in work, but equally somebody without that luxury and charging at public stations will see higher fuel costs than petrol or diesel, but really unless it’s similar depreciation and cost to change that’s going to be a barrier for less well off folk like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭sk8board

a VW Golf style petrol manual in 212 was €32k. 2.5years later, even the cheapest high milers are listing at €26k, low mileage for €28/29k ish.

they don’t make manual petrol golf’s anymore of course, so that will help a lot.

youd have to be doing massive mileage for €11-12k depreciation over 18months on the EV to make sense, on a 5-door family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nobody is getting cost to change of 3 to 4k though after 2.5 years

Agreed - I’m just suggesting that this is another example of the running cost savings falling foul of the depreciation.

again - absolutely no one is buying an EV for environmental reasons, it’s all about costs, tech and/or 0-60 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's down to a perceived saving really. The tech. will become bog standard soon.

An easier drive but I drive both EV and manual diesel and while I'd pick a EV I wouldn't pay extra for one.

Automatic cars were always available but very few wanted them.

There was a big benefit for a while of charging for "free" off solar PV but that's largely gone now.

Then again petrol could go back over €2 quite easily and the goalposts shift again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I had a perfectly good Lexus Is300h and I wanted a new car. I spent 44k on it, and it wasn't to save money obviously. I love technology, but the main reason I went Ev was for the benefit of the environment. When I say environment what I really mean is local air quality. Unless my circumstances change drastically I'll never go back to petrol. Couldn't give a shlt about depreciation, I'll worry about that when it comes to changing as the market will have changed again.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@waterwelly - "Automatic cars were always available but very few wanted them."

Everybody always wanted them. If they weren't way more expensive, slower, used far more fuel and were more expensive to fix. Rich people didn't care about any of that, so pretty much all high end cars were always bought with automatic anyway 😂

Not that it matters much anymore, the majority of new cars sold are automatic now, very soon all of them are. My teenage daughters have all decided they won't bother learning to drive in a manual. And interesting enough, the majority of teenage boys I have spoken too or heard of around me, are pretty much the same. Almost all of them have far less interest in cars than the previous generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭allinthehead

It's funny you should say this as I spent some time with my Nephews during the week, 10 and 12. I asked what they and their buddies were interested in car wise and they said it's still petrol cars. They don't lust after electric at all. My general experience is different though and young kids seem to love the Tesla.

☀️

I'm persisting with manual training for now, although I think the manual wheels we have will be the last.

So why are you persisting then? To spend extra time and money teaching your children a skill that they will never need?

I can only think of one reason to do so: if your children were interested in older / classic cars. I discussed that with mine and they weren't 😁 And don't get me wrong, I love driving manual cars. It was sad to see my Boxster go. And then last year I got a MINI Cooper S, but sold that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've found it useful to have the choice when hiring or borrowing a car. You don't always get an auto.

Also it gives you the choice if you get tired of ai self driving and flying cars in the future.

That's an old argument that used to be valid alright. One that I used myself years ago to encourage people to learn to drive in a manual.

But it's nearly impossible to rent a car until you are 25. So the first time today's teenagers will be able to rent a car is 6-7 years from now. By then rental cars will pretty much all be electric / automatic

The rental argument was one I used to use too.

You’ll get more rental EVs in future in Europe, maybe, and it’s only a maybe - fleets buy to massively tight margins and EVs are currently causing huge unexpected balance sheet write-downs which will mean they’ll be very hesitant to buy more

the news from the past few weeks alone suggests the big rental companies are giving EVs back (Hertz and Tesla e.g), and are not ordering more

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Once there is self driving you won’t be allowed drive yourself I’d imagine .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

For the vast number of people once they do go automatic, they'll never go back.

I do like that I'm able to jump into almost anything and be able to drive it, (although never tried a flatbed or lorry)

My experience is more agricultural. While they can be in an automatic mode, there's usually a clutch (even though it's basically a switch). Having the gearstick to the right (on tractors) did make driving a manual in Europe almost feel natural.

The vast majority of rentals are usually the base model. That is never an EV. You're also latching on to the current market which is in flux as if it's normal. It's not. That applies to EVs and ICE cars. You tube is full of it.

There's been a huge shortage of cars then a oversupply then the start of interest rates rises. Like a broken clock that's right twice a day. Every prediction will be right at some point. But it will be wrong most of the time.

True for me twice this summer. I went expecting to rent in a big city an EV or at least an automatic. None available both times.

If a young driver wants cheap, and simple and slow it will be manual. Because they won't be buying a new car. They'll be buying an old car. I doubt "many" are buying a 1st gen leaf to drive to college or their first job, they are either renting close to work or college or commuting a long way to it.

Noticeably in London how many small petrol cars (manuals) are so popular, because people are parking on the street and in ulez zones. Ireland and Dublin is only going to follow in that trend.

Might depend where you are from. In my youth autos were seen as old man's car.

Theres a whole new culture of drifting, Fast and Furious. So it's not gone.

The numbers all show theres been a shift in Ireland to Auto. It will keep going. No denying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

They should get the manual license anyway; even if they need to rent a motorhome or removal van they will be at a disadvantage.

• Advertisement

It will be a while yet until it's all electric though. It's as easy do the full test now and be ready for whatever eventualities life brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Thanks for this tip, Managed to get this car, (Emailing and sending voicemail even though is was bank holiday helped, as I got a reply). Seems a few on this thread were interested after your tip. Very happy so far!!

Best of luck with it, there's a decent thread going with a few of us that own one. Well it used to be decent it's quiet now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Picked it up yesterday. Funny how almost nobody knows what a Cupra is. Each time have to explain it's basically basically an id3, basically Seat, basically VW cause of VAG. I'm sure Il have lots of questions, Il put into Cupra Born thread.

Out of curiousity does anyone have what the GFV offers they are getting with new Cupra Born with no packs? I was surprised to get a GFV of 20.5k (15km P/A) offer on this near 1 year old car. I think it is reasonable. Was only 16k ish IIRC on 241 LR MG4. Also recently had GFV offer of 18k on an ID3 43k brand new. I had no intention of going PCP until I seen the offer. For spending a bit more overall it gives me many more easier options in 3 years.

Yes the only cupra models are the born and Formentor, everything else is an offshoot of SEAT. They are not that well known yet.

We have all been through it.

What colour did you get?

Raleigh red. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I still like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Well done, sounds like you got a great deal. I presume it’s a 58kWh version ?

There's a red outside my dealer it's lovely suits the car well. I got the expensive aurora blue, lovely when it's sunny and clean but not worth it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Same. Wasn't concerned about depreciation - yes I'm sure it will be painful, but as we've said all along it only crystallises when you're at a selling/changing point.

The primary motivation was to move to a cleaner form of urban transport. Second in line was the much more pleasurable driving experience. Third in line was the abundance of up to date technology (which contributes to #2). Last in line was cost of ownership, which I treat as a bonus (although that cost of ownership advantage is receding in small cuts here and there).

Advertisement