Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the legal definition of a TV

• 05-01-2024 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

You don’t need a TV licence to watch television on your computer, phone or other device (for example, RTÉ Player or streaming services like Netflix).

I'm curious because it's not very clear.

If I have no aerial and watch streaming on a TV I need a licence.

If I stream to my laptop I don't.

What if I have a Google TV device and stream to a computer monitor? Is that a viewed as a TV?

"If you have other equipment capable of receiving TV signals (for example by using an aerial, satellite dish or cable), you must also have a TV licence."

"However, the computer, phone or other device must not be capable of receiving a TV signal by cable, satellite or aerial"

If I have a TV and no saorview box does that count as being capable of receiving a signal?

What if I have a monitor connected to a saoview box?

What if I have a projector that I use for DVDs?

Has any of this been tested in court?

If I need a licence if my laptop can get a signal, it would suggest that the ability to get the signal is what's important. So if I have an old TV in my house, that's not capable of getting a digital signal, do I still need a licence? Surely I need a TV and a digital box to get a signal?

Comments

Advertisement