Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just under 14 mins stretch since the earliest sunset (which was about a week before the solstice, the mornings keep getting darker for a bit longer)

https://mastodon.ie/@theauldsthretch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was thinking that, you'd have nothing left after a couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I definitely notice the grand stretch in the evenings. Maybe I imagine it, but it seems to get dark slower once the sun has set in January compared to December! Maybe it was just the sunshine today that made it seem brighter for longer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think it only applies to small items not essentials or furnishings 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Seen this Today. LOL.

• Advertisement

"Today I threw out the sofa, fridge and one of the beds"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It’s a cold one this morning but just glad it’s nice and dry out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Apparently, we are going to have two weeks completely dry - no rain 🙌

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Also, we've made it to the end of the first week of January - yahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'm currently in Sligo, it's bucketing down here and was raining most of the way here too.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I live here and I don't think we've had a dry day in weeks!

The lads on.bith sites said the sane to me, rain every day for weeks now.

Stopped in Carrick on Shannon now for a coffee on.my way back and it's nice and sunny.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

Off to Shelbourne park later for my last festive night out. Secured a new job which I'll be starting in February. I'll make sure not to avoid getting a new job and house at the same time in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,493 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I need to get around and catch up with the thread.

I know it seems far off but it's not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Last night with the Christmas tree and outdoor lights. All coming down tomorrow ☹️

Waaaah. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm sort of busy tomorrow so they're staying up for the entirety of the 6th.

Nobody had put theirs out with the compost bin today, although I don't know if the bin company actually said they'd take them this year (they did last year). Won't leave it around til the 19th, I'll bring it to the council yard myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Last night for me too indoor and outdoor down tomorrow, will take most of the day and back to work monday☹️.

Just outdoor lights left for me tonight and tomorrow then that's it until Nov 29th this year.

My next door neighbors are devout Christians and they even took all of their decorations and trees today, even they didn't see it out to Little Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed the chat

I'll be seeing ye soon

• Advertisement

Time for a controversial opinion... I don't think the January Blues are as bad as once were.

I'm not sure if it's the extra Bank Holiday in Feb or the way modern society is but I think I struggle with the lack of Christmas more in May-Jul than Jan.

Jan - Still in season for 6 days, lots of Christmas food leftover, tv shows to watch and podcast to listen to that I didn't get time to listen to during the festive season.

Feb - Feels short and Bank Holiday winning.

March - St Patrick Day always nice to look forward to and Spring has well sprung

April - Easter time, always reminds me of a Christmas time from my school days with having the 2 weeks off.

May-Jul - Weather usually warm, Christmas feels a million miles away and if you're not a fan of the muggy heat can be a bad time of year.

Aug - Schools back... a little hint of what's to come creeps in towards the end of the month.

Sept - 100 days and below beckons.

Oct - Halloween... Christmas stock in the shops.

Nov - In season.

Sept-Dec is all one giant blur these days but Jan-Apr all have a distinct feel about them.

We went for a long walk tonight and the amount of decorations still up was pleasantly surprising, though at about 10% of what it was a week ago. The majority definitely don't wait for the 12 days any more.

Looks like the toy show will be 29th November this year so that'll be our decorating day too for 2024. Be here before we know it.

Don't be a stranger for too long we are here all year long :)

Yeah it'll fly in, 29th is a better day as well, ChristmasFM will be properly live by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

September - December really is a blur. My favourite time of year and it goes by so fast.

I do enjoy the freshness of a new year and getting back to healthy eating and stuff, but it's hard to beat Christmas.

I say it every year but once October hits I need time to slow down so I can enjoy the build up more. It's like every year we see the finish line in sight and sprint to it but don;t get time to stop and look around and savor it and take it all in.

That last 99 days is scarily fast. As soon as we hit DDD its bam... Christmas!

I barely think about Christmas in May, June and July. I'm just thinking of the summer holidays on the horizon. ☀️

By August I'm getting excited for the BT Christmas shop and start thinking about the run up.

From my perspective January is still perpetual darkness and lasts 74 days! But the new bank holiday is a welcome light at the end of the tunnel.

Our holiday will be during the mid term in October this year, the summer won't be a runner for financial reasons so I can see that holding off strong thoughts of Christmas as we love our sun holidays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Because one of my partners works so much in Germany - we are really really big into the german "Karnival". Or "Fasching" as they call it there. So we beat the February blues by going over every year and dressing up. Also a good way to avoid Valentines day usually :)

Its like Paddys Day and Halloweeen mashed into each other. We spend months working out our outfits for this one. A great time to go to Germany if you have some time off. The whole country goes mad for it. Some parts more than others.

Advertisement