Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record homeless Figures yet again , now at 13,500.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

I'm in the boat early 30s trying to build a house now, Building costs thread here quoting me at 400K to build a 1800Sq/ft on my own land!

This government have destroyed the country. I do hope they get roasted on doors in May/June.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you just going to post the same FFG heebie-jeebies in every thread possible?

We all get. You have a hard on for FFG losing power. You dont need to jizz it all over every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Government is destroying the country. That and the hoarders of unoccupied houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Build it whatever way you can. Don't finish half it inside, or have anything around it but don't spend 400k if there's any way at all to reduce that.

Nobody notices or cares except you, if you've marble or the cheapest nastiest tiles in the shop. They can all be thrown out later when/if there's a few bob around. Trust me on this. I did it the other way.

Better times come. You can sit on a second hand couch for a couple of years. It doesn't feel much different.

Best of luck.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

How is it governments fault?

Everyone knows materials and Labour costs have soared since Covid/start of the Ukrainian war. How is that the fault of government or foreigners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

You don't really have a clue do you, are you 16 years old ? The government are giving developers money to build social houses, these prices is locked in. In order to compete you have to match this or, you're not getting a builder...

This is laughable!

How could I possibly destroy the country, you seem really angry......

'People like me ' means nothing, you don't know me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭tom23

So the government is not destroying the country? is that what you said a few posts back…?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

BS.

Are you suggesting if we bring in 20 million non nationals we should be able to house them all because we are a rich country?

I'm afraid you seem to be the immature one here.

Government haven't built social housing in any kind of proper figures for decades! Hence the housing shortage.

Prices of materials and Labour have all increased hugely due to world events, I'm sure you must have heard about them.

When you think you heard everything on here, now the foreigners are to blame for the expensive cost of construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Aye we could solve world homelessness. We are giving it a fair shot in fairness. Roderick should get tweeting again.

Don't like the truth so you resort to personal abuse. Mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Not quite true though. There's little point in massively increasing building, or making better use of vacant buildings if measures are not taken to curb immigration, as greater availability of cheaper accommodation increases the draw factor for immigration. Heads of multinationals have been on record saying that lack of availability of accommodation is the limiting factor on expanding their workforce.

Tackling the homeless problem and the wider problem of expensive, overcrowded and insecure accommodation requires action on two fronts.

1. Yes, expand supply: build more, remove obstacles to development, make better use of empty dwellings.
    2. Have an immigration policy more focused on the needs of society rather than just employers. End mass immigration but concentrate on a small number of skilled workers.

We don't need to.

But we could solve it here this year, if they actually cared.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Packrat thread banned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Those 1.5 million that live overseas you always trot out are over a period of what 90 years ? Are they all emigrants, did some of them come back ?

What's your stats.

Those 700,000 foreign born are almost all within the last 20 years into Ireland.

You can fly into Ireland from a certain ethnic group with a bunch of kids in toe and IMMEDIATELY get higher priority for housing than a homeless Irish man. Anybody who is familiar with North Inner City Dublin, as is the Master of the Rotunda Hospital, knows what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is there really 13,500 people sleeping on the streets?

As long as you have a roof over your head at night you are not homeless

Not getting your forever home doesn't make you homeless if you have a bed to sleep in

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Well I think you are still considered homeless if you just have a hostel bed for example.

But on the wider issue, while having a roof over your head might make you not homeless right now, in the current rental environment, if you are renting, you don't know how long you will be in your current unit and, if you are evicted whether, you will be able to find another place in time. If you fail to do so, you will find yourself homeless and adding to the homeless statistics, even if you have a job and money to pay for rent.

So in order to tackle the homeless issue you need to look beyond purely the number sleeping on the streets right now. You need to increase the number of available accommodation units. You need to keep prices low and increase security of tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Ireland (post 1940s) never had a rental market outside of students and newly arrived people from the country. Everyone got a council house or yes as I know from aunts and uncles could buy houses with single incomes on a checkout. Renting is alien to our culture. Thats why we shame renters for paying "dead money" and look down on renters as failures.

In my family I was told clearly at 24 by my older sibling on return from living abroad that I was under no circumstances to rent because its nothing but dead money, I had to buy and as soon as possible (though the areas I could afford got comments of "no life there" and "don't move away from Dublin" and "why cant you just buy a house in Tallaght like normal" I was on 26k at the time). This continued, alongside the worship of cousins who bought in couples, bonus points if they never went to college, until I cut off all contact with the sibling after a housing induced mental health breakdown.

I wish we could be like Germany, renting is seen as normal and not an indictment of being of low moral standings like Ireland views it. As subhuman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Fair enough, but do you see them winning any seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,723 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The lifting of the eviction ban hasn't help

Also how politicians are landlords with many properties rented out at high costs

FG have been in power long enough now but have made it worse

Even building on your own land is a hassle with planning permission red tape etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There is an historic abhorrence for renting. Much of the 19th and early 20th century there was an all out effort to stamp out predatory renting of property, break up the big estates and enable people to own their own house and work their own land.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Direct result of being known as treasure island to half the 3rd world.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MallowMan17

Germany and Austria have healthy renting culture because people upsize and downsize according to their needs. You won't see single person in 3 bed council house/flat, which is a norm in Ireland, just because it's "forever" home. No it's not forever home, it's not yours, and you don't have any rights. Single? Go to 1 bed flat and be happy, 3 bed is for a family

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Have we ever had a more useless set of politicians? 

Wait till you see Sinn Fein if you think FF and FG are bad

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

There are people who are being declared homeless who are not actually homeless at all.

If they want to be put on the housing list they need to make it look like they are homeless.

Housing Charities also promote this activity to secure budget each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

how come you all started using that 3rd world term again, something that hasn't been around since the 80s? is it just a way of punching down?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

I can't stand people who think everything is done better on the continent. I'd say people from Germany marvel at the idea that Irish and British governments from the 40s til about 1985 endeavoured where possible to build large scale affordable housing with 3 bedrooms and a garden as little as 5km from the city centres.

Raising a family for life in a pokey flat you never own sounds like hell tbh.

Post edited by Cheddar Bob on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭tinytobe

They do that in the UK as well, It's called the "Bedroom Tax". If you have one bedroom more in your council flat, and one less is living in the apartment, you will feel the financial implications as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement