Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Description of the springboard scheme here.

Described by Harris as a 'targeted response to skills needs'

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why not just link to the Springboard site itself - you might even see the description where it says (my emphasis)...

Springboard+ is a Government initiative offering free and heavily subsidised courses at certificate, degree, and masters level leading to qualifications in areas where there are employment opportunities in the economy. These areas include ICT, engineering, green skills, manufacturing and construction, among many others.

https://springboardcourses.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Thanks, I've just had a look.

7 of 252 courses in construction and I believe they're quite new.

Also all but one look to be for people already in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The mindset in the quote above is part the problem imo. That because most of the world (and this would include desperately poor nations) lives in overcrowded accommodation we should be happy to do so also.

What is wrong with setting a goal that a single person, say a barista in a cafe in Dublin, should within a reasonable distance of their employment be able to afford a basic one bedroom (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen/living room) apartment; initially to rent but with enough spare cash to save for a deposit to purchase a similar dwelling over time?

It won't be realistic to have that tomorrow but as an eventual goal, what is the problem with it? Why would a sane person be against this as a goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No, but do you tell people you got the cake or that the baker got the cake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'd say I got the cake from the baker.

Exactly the same way the government are getting the hospital from the construction company.

I didn't bake the cake, I paid for it.

The government did not build the children's hospital, they paid for it.

Because its unrealistic in a growing population and economy.

What's a barista earn in Dublin? They are competing with people in IT and Pharma who I am pretty sure are earning a lot more.

Ok. So if you spec the cake badly or make changes or leave out requirements and the baker has to accommodate them half way through, is that your fault or the bakers?

But at the end of the day what is the point of having this growing economy? When is the payoff for the ordinary person going to happen?

Unfortunately it is not the first complex project to massively overrun on both cost and timescale.

• Advertisement

Why is it unrealistic? It just sounds very unfair to me.

Concessions have to be made for the likes of Barista's and other service staff to live near their work.

There was a good documentary by Ian Hislop called, When Bankers were good" which explored the philosophical and philanthropy of bankers. I would suggest you seek it out.

One of the points raised was that bankers needed workers in central London, so they paid for the train lines and accommodation needs of the workers so that the bankers could make more money, in the comfort they were accustomed to.

Same in Dublin. If you have all these tech bros and pharma bros, but no one to man the doors of their gyms, or make them a good cappuccino... What's the point in having money if you end up having to do the work yourself?

Define "ordinary"?

I'd consider "ordinary" the 10s of thousands of Irish people who have jobs that are good enough to allow them to pay mortgages OR pay massive rents.

Its not long ago that our future as a country looked an awful lot bleaker than it is right now.

There are many European countries where it much harder to get a well paid job, look around, you will see many of them living and working in Ireland.

So what you're saying is, if you want a job done properly, do it yourself? That's what I've been saying all along!

What's unfair is expecting someone earning 80K a year not to be "ahead" of the person earning 30K.

Who makes these "concessions" and how do they work in reality? Maybe, just maybe if you are a barista you need to live according to your means? Maybe that means that you need to be a barista in Longford rather than Dublin?

The rest of your post if frankly childish nonsense. I think you need to go take a good hard look at the real world if you think anyone owes you anything. This isnt a commune.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

I have full faith in harry pot head.

Erm, who is it you think who drove the spec and the tender? Who came up with the requirements? I'll give you a clue, it wasn't BAM. It was the client. The person who asked for the cake. The person you now want to open their own bakery, and somehow do it cheaper than the people who do it for a living, despite this client not even being able to go to tender properly?

But were you not earlier complaining that the government might put you into negative equity if they made the average house 300k (which I think is still quite expensive). Why should everyone live in overcrowded and overpriced housing because you overpaid* for your house?

*My apologies if I picked you up wrong but was this not your concern earlier in the thread?

"average house 300k (which I think is still quite expensive)."

Reality has left the chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So most of the comments on here from Sinn Fein supporters seem to be they will create a government construction company and then build houses with no margin on them. Of course the many issues with this have already been pointed out.

But I was thinking what have Sinn Fein done in the North, after much fanfare when they took over the Minister for Housing I think circa 2019/2020. Well found the following link below

Now Im sure Northern Ireland has done other initiatives over the last 3 years but 3 years later, only starting 6 houses in Dec 2023? seems a very poor return

But the more interesting part:

The new Housing Executive project, which is being delivered by construction company GEDA, is a pilot scheme of six houses being built to very high energy efficiency standards.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-67696931

SF in the North with tied purse strings compared to a SF govt in the South is comparing apples to oranges. The fact you constantly parrot this line really makes any argument you have seem fruitless.

• Advertisement

You think housing of 300k is expensive?

Plus when they finish that one job they will have to give redundancy to a lot of the staff because the skills they have will be no longer required.

This is the bit people on this thread don't seem to realise and again it comes from bulls**t from Sinn Fein. You can't just take all the construction staff from commercial and flick them over to housing. Most of their skills are irrelevant in housing.

So if the government hired a load of people to build one hospital what do they do with all these people when its finished? either retrain them all at huge cost or give them all redundancy and hire more people.

🤣

Was waiting for the excuses to flow.

The North is a perfect example of Sinn fein in government. Also DCC was a perfect example. The excuses are long and winding when it comes to Sinn Fein

Honestly, your fear and hatred of SF is nothing but tedious at this stage.

If you can't see the difference between a government controlled to a large extent by a different parliament in a different country to a sovereign parliament, that's on you.

Again I have "no fear or hatred of SF" and I pulled you up on this before

At that time I asked you to discuss their policies and that is the problem I have with them, but again you start this nonsense about fear.

Do you have anything to add on their policies or just post more nonsense about fear because you know I am right?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

I'm sorry, what?!

The old cars were wiped off Ireland's roads by a much needed scrappage scheme that came in in the late 90s IIRC.

And let's be clear- anti rust technology and all the rest means a 2005 car on the roads in 2024 looks and drives in vastly better nick than a 1980 car did on the roads in 1999.

I'm only a few years older than you and I think there was three or four 17 year olds in my year who drove out of about 200.

I never knew one person who went to NYC shopping, and personally air travel is enough of a pain in the hoop without lugging bags of clothes home on the plane.

How much cheaper was all this NY gear anyway?

If you have no hatred nor fear, you spend an awful lot of time arguing against them. For what? The lulz?

I told you before there's literally no point engaging with you when you are so blinded by your fear and hatred of SF that you cannot see anything positive they could potentially bring to the table. That you see no difference between a hand tied SF in the north Vs a possible SF govt in the South, says a lot.

Calling anyone who recognizes that SF has the possibility of doing some good a "SF supporter" also weakens any argument you have.

Anyway, I'm done. Enjoy the circle jerk with the other FFG voters that are happy with a record number of homeless, spiralling insurance costs and a disastrous health dept. But sure look, some people are making bank, so it's not all bad.

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No one enjoys it, but what the least voters should ask for is details about how SF will improve things. It isn’t a choice between more of the same, and better, there is also the possibility that a party with no history of being able to run a country, could make matters much worse.

Even you have to admit that SF, for all their promises, have yet to provide any credible details of just how they will improve housing and health. That should concern you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭DataDude

’spiralling insurance costs’ - Car insurance prices are down 30% in the last 5 years with inflation up 20%+. So an effective halving of insurance costs.

They’re down 10% over the last two years when the equivalent in UK has increased almost 50%. It has quietly gone unnoticed that our car insurance is now much much cheaper than UK which was always used a stick to beat the government previously.

The work done to bring down personal insurance prices through Injury Guidelines here has been nothing short of remarkable. If you’re still using this as stick to beat ‘FFG’ you might be suffering from same bias you accuse the other poster.

Commercial insurance is still expensive and they have started tackling that now.

It's called a discussion forum.

Don't like to discuss topic it's not the place for you

Anyway another post, nothing about Sinn Fein policies and more waffle. I would say I am surprised but it's the post of every Sinn Fein supporters across all social media.

• Advertisement

If the policy which Sinn Fein wanted to implement then insurance would have spiralled because it would have banned the insurance companies from giving anyone a discount. That was the minor issue with the proposal from Pearse Doherty.

Like everything with Sinn Fein, once you get past the bluff it falls apart

The issue with commercial insurance is the claims industry which hasn't been resolved yet. It has been tighted down a bit and I see more cases with costs put against the dodgy claim which might help slow down the progress of people who are serial insurance scammers

Advertisement