Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual electricity cost for your house

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Hi just wondering what unit rate you are on as from a quick calculation it must be 28 cent a unit ?? Unless you have day/ night meter ??

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Signed up with Yuno yesterday as contract with EI was up

Old EI rates 38c day 20c night

New Yuno fixed - 29c day 18c night.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sponsorgate

I agree. Average is 4000kwh or so according to companies. 3 times average.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Hi yes only signed up myself for fixed rate with yuno only have a standard 24 hr rate as I don't have a d/n meter but I'm trying to see if It would be better to get one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

We imported just shy of 5,000kWh last year. Have 2.5kWp solar and have a PHEV that we put 10kWh into at least five nights per week. 64% of usage was night rate.

Total cost to us, including standing charges etc was a smidge over 1k euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hi guys we have a smart meter but aren't on smart rates - I thought with WFH it wouldn't benefit us but maybe that was short sighted? Would people recommend switching to the smart rates? Also can smart meters tell you what devices are consuming the most power? Or is the only current benefit that the elect company can pull readings automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

4-bed semi detached home, urban location. Electric cooking, gas for heating. Very busy home with 4 older children and two of us WFH a few days per week. Plenty of gadgets and smart home tech. Washing machine used a lot, drier only used as needed.

Consumed 5,756 kWh in 2023, which is about the same as previous years.

According to the insights tool on the Electric Ireland web site, I'm using around +50% of the average for "similar homes". 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Should add I am working from home 4 days per week and all cooking is electric

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

similar profile to ourselves, we use about 5000 units a year. The gadgets etc use bugger all electricity compared to the washing machine and dishwasher. We never use the dryer but do have a dehumidifier running in the room with the drying rack. Water heating is all done with gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

It's 35 cent daily

43 cent peak hours

28 cent night rate.

We don't use much electricity on peak hours 5-7pm. Try to put the dishwasher going going to bed. We dont use the tumble dryer. Our a2w unit uses the most power. All appliances in house are modern ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

3 bed semi with converted attic. Urban. Gas heating. BER B2. 2 EVs consuming about 75 units per week between them. Big family.

We used 15,000kWh last year. Costing about 100e per week. Day and Night rate. 65% night use

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

So, if you exclude the EVs - did you consume approx. 11,000kWh last year on everything else? Seems higher than others on this thread with similar profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes, it's a high use alright. The only other big consumer is my pond which consumes 1,500kWh per year. The pond will be gone this summer.

All of our lighting is LED. Heating is Gas and we have a stove. Oven is electric, but hob is gas. We do have 3 PCs in the house (my own office PC and 2 PCs for the older kids). The usual few hours per day using TV and game consoles.

edited to add: Oh...also 9kW electric shower probably used an hour a day. so around 3,000kWh there. Jaysus I need to get that sorted.

Post edited by ...Ghost... on

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Urban 4 bed Semi D

Solar PV & EV

Usage: 7,556kWh

PV generated/used: 3,391kWh

Imported: 4,165kWh

Last 12 months bills: €917 (deemed export paid me for about 1,200kWh but I only exported about 300kWh, now have smart D/N meter for measured export).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭This is it

Urban 3 bed semi. Only here since April but fairly consistent around €150 every two months. Gas heating but run the dryer quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭chuckles1

Looking to switch electrical providers at the moment. No gas in the house.

We have solar panels, 10kw battery, an EV, 4 kids consuming a lot of electricity, air to heat pump for hot water and underfloor heating.

All this was put in during the summer, just getting off a standard rate with Electric Ireland at the moment but can't figure out who to switch to.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Rural 4 Bed two stroey house, built 2000, B3 Ber

Oil heating, no panels

Average last few months during winter 550kwh per month

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Rural 5 bed A2 BER, 2 adult 3 kids. Built 2022 a2w, all electric and think about adding EV.

9000kwh in last 12 months. Looking how we can reduce. currently don't really restirct e.g. put washes on at night

IS there any site that could compare smart rates off of real smart meter data.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yes - https://energypal.ie/

9K units doesn't sound too bad for an all-electric setup. I assume at least half of that is the A2W?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

size of house makes little difference.

Might be better to have a set list of questions that would give a better idea

# of Adults (2)

# Children (0)

Urban / Rural (rural)

Form of house eg detached dormer (det dormer)

# bedrooms (4)

heating system (oil)

usage of tumble dryer - low/medium/high (low)

Usage of cooker - (Medium)

hot water use - eg power showers / immersion feed (immersion feed)

Immersion heated by (oil - electricity in summer)

Average bill winter / summer (180 / 130 per month)

and maybe a few more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

This website is great thank you.

Heating is 25% and Water heating is about 13%.

Advertisement