Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Because Tipp have the same number of 2 and 3s as Cork and Kilkenny and also a similar number of All Irelands. Limerick have no 2 or 3s.

I feel like you are accusing a Limerick man of forgetting Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

You know full well cages are rattled when rival fans point to their greater historical haul of titles.

Tipp may have 28 but the bulk of that success is way in the past - in the last 50 years Tipp and Limerick have won 6 each. Who gives a shite though?

The fact that Cork have 30 will be of little comfort to them given next year is year 19 of their famine - pretty much any Cork person under 23 has never experienced Liam McCarthy success. Only a madman would have predicted that would ever happen twenty years ago. Kilkenny going nine years seemed nonsensical a decade ago.

Doesn’t matter what went before, all about the here and now. We’ll enjoy it while it lasts. In 5-6 years time when another team has taken over it would be rather cringeworthy if we start telling them “Yeah well we won four in a row”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Well if certain limerick fans are going to try laugh at other counties and insinuate limerick should give them some players, be ready for some facts historical or not, still facts. How about enjoy the success and forget about digging at other counties.

Maybe others should learn not to be so sensitive about trivial things. You’d swear nobody from Tipp ever made an innocent little joke about another county. Do yourself a favour and stay away from the terraces/stands on match day if you take a bit of gentle ribbing from rival counties so much to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Some embarrassing comments on this thread today FWIW most of childish stuff ive seen the last 36 hours is from anti GAA people bringing up the tax thing.

• Advertisement

It’s quite funny actually! JP could have done **** all and a lot less people would have gotten themselves all upset.

Great for the GAA though - all of a sudden they are no longer the main discussion point after a week in which they announced price increases on GAAGo and ticket prices and launched another cash grab by selling Croke Park seats for €350 each rather than donate them to clubs for example.

I made simple comment back after poster slagged tipp and now you are going on about limerick fans cages being rattled for mentioning history. It seems you and some others on this thread cant take a bit of ribbing so maybe do yourself a favour and don't read online discussion forums if you get so wound up, your new here, relax.

Does ribbing only work one way?

Basic comprehension would help you - it’s the cages of the non Limerick fans being rattled when they scour this thread looking for mention of their county to get upset about. I highly doubt you’re looking through for example the Cavan or Louth threads for mention of Tipp.

Your response is the written equivalent of “NO YOU CALM DOWN!”

So its other rival counties not limerick fans that get rattled when a tipp fan points to their historical role of honor, yet here you are at this time arguing, rattled much? I'm on the night shift, this is passing time for me. You should ease up on the sauce, you are not even understanding your own posts now. Comprehension, try comprehend your own first.

I will ask again, does ribbing only work 1 way?

”NO YOU CALM DOOWNN! I AM CALMM!”

I don’t have to answer your question chap 😎 You can pretend I said things I didn’t say all you like 👍

Go have the last word now - I’m done with this interaction 👋

• Advertisement

Yep don't answer, that's good enough for me. I never said you said anything btw, comprehension lacking tonight.Ah shur thanks, i will have the last word.

"You know full well cages are rattled when rival fans point to their greater historical haul of titles." Yep you were talking about other fans and of course not limerick fans.

Ease up on that sauce, tis a long festive period.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭High bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Will ya stop he was saying drawing with ye last year was an achievement. They won’t have an all Ireland in this decade or the next😀

No.

Only the 4 in a row (you don't count that as also a 2 and 3 in stats if that's what you mean)

We did briefly but unfortunately we’ll just have to settle for 4 in a row. Who knows, maybe we won’t have that for long either 😎

You can’t really count two in a rows within a run of 3/4. Strictly speaking we have done three ‘2 in a rows’ and two ‘3 in a rows’ in the last four seasons.

Semantics. In a world of differing comprehension levels and where stats without context are meaningless (the average human has one ovary and one testicle and a Chinese grandparent) the following two statements are technically correct but one is kind of bollocks…

‘Under John Kiely Limerick have won 5 single titles, 3 “two in a rows”, 2 “three in a rows” and 1 “four in a row”.’

‘Under John Kiely Limerick have one undefended title and a “four in a row”.’

Mulcahy sticking around for 2024. Only meaningful departure being Caroline Currid.

Big positive that the entire playing squad has recommitted. Injuries have come close to derailing things at various stages - luckily we have a core of 20 solid starters who have been able to cover the loss of 2/3 big names at any given time. Mulcahy probably won't be starting any more championship games but we know exactly what we'll get from him when subbed on.

Seán Finn has come back from a cruciate once before so hopefully he'll be back to his best. You'd think he'll reclaim the #2 jersey but it was similarly once assumed that Richie English would reclaim the #4 jersey so the good news for M.Casey, D.Morrissey and Nash is if they continue performing that Finn might actually have a difficult time breaking back through - I hope not though, Finn is such a classy hurler.

I'd be very surprised if Kyle Hayes isn't fully available next year, not to go back over that situation again but I don't see a sentence being handed down that would lead to withdrawal of his availability - strictly talking in terms of his availability. Were he not available, that would possibly mean Dan Morrissey taking his old #7 jersey for a while but I just don't see it happen - Dan is our least flashy but most secure option for #3 - Mike Casey is a better hurler overall but Dan is slightly more reliable.

If just two of Adam English, Shane O'Brien and Donncha O'Dálaigh and Colin Coughlan can over the next four months get to a standard where they can be trusted to start championship games then I think we'll have enough to do it again next year. Our biggest weakness is that you pretty much know exactly what you're going to get from this Limerick team - Cathal O'Neill aside it's basically the exact same group of players since 2018 - that's six years worth of games to study on this group of players. Who is that tactical genius out there that can figure Kinnerk out? It's WAY easier said than done but there's always a way. A couple more starting options would give us something extra.

I don't know if Limerick will do this - at the moment I honestly feel our biggest threat is an injury crisis. Kilkenny have put it up to us in flashes - Clare maybe but can they do it over a full championship? They get themselves 110% fired up for Limerick - emptied themselves for the 2022 Munster final and came up short, they couldn't pick themselves up afterwards, got over the line after a poor performance (but strong finish) against Wexford and were destroyed by Kilkenny. Seemed to take a great deal of joy in defeating us in round 2 of the round robin and celebrated for a good half hour on the pitch afterwards - it was a big win but did it get to their heads? Requesting the Gaelic Grounds for the Munster final was ballsy but would last years championship have turned out differently had they just agreed to go to Cork? Hammered a fairly shite Dublin team who seemed happy to let them have acres of space free to roam through the heart of their defence.

Gave Kilkenny a good rattle for a finish but were fairly piss poor in the first half - looked to have swung it in the second half only for us to wonder how they let Kilkenny off the hook after having impressively worked themselves back into a lead. Did they have the same ferocious hunger they showed against Limerick in April? That game could have gone on another half an hour and Clare would still have held on in my opinion. It was the first time since the 2019 semi final a team demonstrated greater hunger than Limerick in the championship. Play with that intensity - and they did it from throw in to the final whistle that day - and they'll beat anyone. Where was it in the first half of the semi final? They should give Caroline Currid a shout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭moby2101

Great post , next year will be challenging to say the least!

Anyone thinking about stopping our drive for five will be rightly reminded that once we get out of Munster we will be favourites to retain the All Ireland

My only criticism/concern from last year would be that Cathal O Neill didn’t start the Final, thought Reidy was poor and offered very little all year.

we have some serious young players who need to trusted and given the opportunity in the League to stake out a place in the 23.

Cian and Sean Finn are making great strides in their respective recoveries from what Im hearing.

Clare will be rocking again and I think Cork will be there as well, don’t expect much from Tipp or Waterford.

What a year in prospect !!!

Jaysus if we do the five , (we are already in dreamland since 2018 thanks to these lads,) the County will, to quote one of our finest …. GO BUCK APE !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭billyhead

We will certainly be favourites anyway. I would fancy Galway as our biggest threat for the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think ye have a capacity others can't reach, for ye to get caught you'll have to drop a level, I actually think this happened in the Munster championship this year but you still did enough to stay in the mix, whatever happened in the 4 weeks after the Munster final worked a treat and nobody can reach the levels you produced vs Galway and Kilkenny bar 1st 25 mins v Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,565 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Might do no harm for Cathal O’Neill that he’s not involved in fitzgibbon cup for UL this year. Won’t miss any county stuff at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Some great posts there. Alot of Knowledge. I'm a Clareman and I feel we've focused too much on the Limerick games and then blown a gasket for the rest if the championship. The Clare v kilkenny semi final was a disappointment. The hunger we showed in April wasn't there against a limited Kilkenny.

The biggest challengers to Limerick in 2024. Cork. Thats my dark horse. Iv been burnt in the past by them but I feel they've turned a corner. The playing resources they have are phenomenal , unmatched really. I like their 20s team last year..Theyve gotten aggressive. They've good backs coming through and some unreal talent up front.

Clare may be there again..not sure. Conlons legs are gone..he over carries all the time but refs let him off. Kelly is out for ages and we've no replacements in a few spots.

Tipperary..are capable of big performances but not over a full season...yet.

Waterford have everything they need except a good manager. No silverware in 2024 I'm afraid.

Kilkenny ...always dying with their boots on ( overused cliche). You want people to kill for a cause ...not die..Limerick have the killers.

The great enigma Galway. They don't have the mentality of winners. Always capable of great 15min spells and then let an opposition team right back into it with stupidity or just switching off. They are actually an aging squad. I dont see them doing anything new. Again they've a poor enough manager.

Limerick again I think . 5 in a row. Now there is caveats. I think Mulcahy and Richie English and Aaron costello and a few more should be retired or gone. There's plenty of young fellas there who are stagnating. Colin Coughlan for one. I think O Neill will start ahead of Tom Morrissey and I would like a new corner back in for the league. We ll see how big a loss Currid is ...could be massive. But over all as long as Limerick get out of Munster they ll do the 5 and there ll be many Claremen tipping the cap and praising them but it ll be behind closed doors amongst ourselves.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Yes Cork the danger if they can perform for 70 minutes. Scored 11 points without a wide in Gaelic Grounds but ended up 6 or u points down with 10mins left and only got back into it with a soft goal but it lifted then and they just fell short.

They really need a big win or a trophy anything to get the confidence up.

Probably still a few years off them winning the big one but all the underage success should translate especially when you look at the age profiles of the other counties.

If it's not Limerick this year it's almost anybodies to win. If Limerick don't make it out of Munster then all 3 teams through and Kilkenny and Galway will feel they have a chance.

• Waterford don't have everything bar a good manager. Their round robin form is dreadful and clearly suggests their perceived talents are very overrated.

As for retiring Richie English..I presume that's a joke

Their 2013-14 minor teams had some great battles with our cohort of minors who went on to be so successful. They shared the 2015-17 year under 21 titles and were potentially poised to be rivals at senior level as there was a high level of graduates from those underage teams in both counties.

Hard to know exactly why there has been such contrasting levels of success at senior level but I believe the current situation in Waterford isn’t a million miles off Limerick in the 2000’s when all we had to show from an excellent under 21 3in a row team was one unsuccessful All Ireland final appearance. If you don’t have your house in order I don’t think it really matters what’s coming through from underage. McManus was supporting the county back then, didn’t make an iota of difference.

Our county board since around when John Cregan took over has been nice and stable and Kiely has been great 👍 in terms of seeking the right people to be part of the back room team and letting them do their thing. Kinnerk in a past role worked under a man who resented the fact he was receiving so much credit and praise. Kiely’s ego by contrast is very much in check.

The board stuck with Kiely after a very disappointing 2017 - past county boards would have sacked him - look no further than Dave Keane in 2003 as an example.

For success you really need to have all your ducks in a row and we’re fortunate we’ve had so many of the necessary elements pointing in the right direction at the same time.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Interesting match with Cork on Sunday with a far more experimental Limerick line up. Good to see McEvoy and OConnor start

Hi

looking for 1 ticket for Wednesday night in Clarecastle if anyone has a spare

Thanks

Theyre sold out … got 2 yesterday went back looking for 1 this morning.

• Advertisement

When I looked this morning it was only student and oap's that were sold out

Advertisement