Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Car Lights - Far too bright

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

You ought to drive in the US then... They're constantly praising the smoothness of our road surfaces.

We don't get extremes of hot and cold to destroy the surfaces, any bumpy roads are due to neglect or bog under them.

Remember the state of the roads after the freeze of Christmas 2010?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Madd002

Glad this thread opened just mentioned to husband driving home the other night how I hate driving at night anymore as the oncoming lights from new cars are so bright, my own are bright too but crap on dims very low facing to ground. Passed one or two cars with yellow lights and i said why did we get rid of them. I go back to my driving lessons 25yrs ago, if oncoming lights blind you keep an eye on left verge so you can see in front of after the blinding. Can I actually change the white leds in my car would fittings be same & are halogens still sold..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I hate driving in the dark these days, especially country roads. Demands a lot of concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

I have driven over there - their infrastructure is in a poor state to say the least. Even interstates are crumbling. We were recently comparing the Irish Regional routes to the Landstrasse in Germany which would be their equivalent, particularly in the state of Bavaria where mountains and raised bogs are the standard challenges any road engineer has to deal with not to mention the extremes in weather - their quality is so far ahead of the muck tracks we have got over here. And, unsurprisingly, no issues with LED glare when I was driving on them that we have over here......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I was cycling along the quays tonight in a cycle lane and had to slow to a stop as the oncoming car lights were blinding me and could not see down the bike lane. These athomatic dimers might work when they see another oncoming car lights but how can they dim for oncoming bikes or scooters who are also moving quickly and need to be able to see where they're going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it really that big of an issue when 86.4% of drivers use their DRLs instead of their dim/full beams and have no rear lights until they brake?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Passed a few cars in the last couple of weeks with a new phenomenon.

Unstandard lights, this time a long bar of light, usually down very low to the ground at the front. Super bright. Blinding, even when not on full beam. Probably bought off aliexpress.

About time the guards stopped these idiots and told them to get the lights off, permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Something I've noticed a few times of late actually is no front reg plates - spotted 2 today in the space of 5 minutes. Not sure if it's another stupid "trend"?

My own car has facory-fitted xenons which are self-levelling etc and I've never had an issue but the big problem as well as blinding LEDs is people who refuse to dip their lights to oncoming traffic (Pro tip: if you can see my lights, I can see yours so dip them already!!).

Agree also on the stupidity of DRLs. Why these aren't coded from the factory to illuminate the rear as well is beyond me. My own car had this issue but it was a simple 2 minute change with an app and ODB dongle (ODBEleven FTW). The amount of dopes driving around with just DRLs in dark/bad weather is crazy. Likewise those driving in dark mornings with NO lights (and why is it they are always silver/grey cars too so they become invisible on the motorway).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Right you are. The dash should remain unilluminated in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Automatic full beam on my car causes Truck drivers on the far side of the Motorway much annoyance. The software logic should be smart enough to dip the lights but often it doesn't.

Also last week a pedestrian walking a dog on an unlit road started gesturing at me and when I came to a stop they said I was driving too fast. I responded I was driving at the speed limit which was 30kmph on this road so they then said I was blinding them with my lights. Not actually sure if I was on full beam as it was set to automatic but automatic seems to only care about street lights and the headlights of oncoming cars but not pedestrians. I'd much prefer to blind them than run over them and on this stretch of road there are a lot of deer and foxes. I definitely saw their lovely snow white Samoyed in all its glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

I was just about to post a question about this.

Met a car last week and down around the number plate was just a supernova of pure white. Wasn't sure if this was some new type of car light or an addition to the car.

They don't dim when the main lights dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is there some strange phenomenon with how lights appear in the mirror?

On the M50, I'm often convinced that I'm being chased by the cops, when the headlights of vehicles behind me have a distinct blue tinge in the mirror as they approach.

But they're not the cops of course, just a modern car with something that makes it appear blue to me.

Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Yeah happened to me quite a few times this winter ut the newish Matrix lights are just the start but give it 10 years ha

• Registered Users Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is a very easy fix, thing is the will to sort it out isn't there.

Imagine if it was an on the spot 1pt or 2pt on your licence if you are caught by the guards with non standard lights, silly script reg plates, totally blacked out windows etc. So easily enforced and drivers wouldn't risk it for vanity. Set a date and tell folk from then you're getting points on your licence if you don't comply . Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

This I believe to be a big part of the problem, people with intelligent headlights expect them to do the dipping as required which they simply are unable to do on anything but a level road.

They are absolutely fantastic on a level road / a motorway, but pure useless on a typical Irish regional road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I think there used be a setting to adjust the angle of beam on lights.

Do you wear glasses by any chance?

I found when I changed prescription before that the lens split the red & blue spectrum if light hit at a certain angle, so car led headlights would give a blue glint as the passed over a bump and the angle into my eyes changed, so you would get a blue light at a glance into the mirror.

Changed again and the phenomenon disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

If I can I usually avoid using any automatic light system in a car and try and find older style or weaker bulbs when replacing them, there's almost no need for them to be as bright as they are, especially for where I drive. I avoid LEDs for interior and licence plate stuff too, ain't got time for it!

Another annoying thing is being behind a giant SUV in traffic with brake lights that resemble the fiery pits of hell. Pretty sure I get a tan from some of them

Actually, yes, I do wear glasses - I'm not sure if I can tie this phenomenon to any change of glasses, but it could well be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Here fishy fishy.

Any more dead deer lit up by your amazing headlights since? They must be unreal to see 3 dead deer in one night when I’ve never seen a single one in nearly 20 years driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's not though.

Modified cars with dazzling lights are such an insignificant minority on the roads that they're clearly not the main topic of this thread/ this problem. An aul Vag TDI with sh1te HID's is common in the car scene sure. But in relative terms to everyday traffic they're a tiny percentage.

I feel people who are from urban areas/ or rural but travel mainly on decent main roads are simply unaware of how blinding completely standard modern auto dimming/ levelling LED lights are on bad undulating country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Not too many deer where ever you drive then. You're lucky. Many people I know have hit one, and pretty much everyone has seen the dead ones by the roadside in the morning every Autumn/rutting season.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

I noticed today that the blue bits are mainly visible in my wing mirror, and not visible in the centre rear-view mirror, even when looking at the same vehicle approaching from behind. They look like separate blue sections, at the edge of the white light, not a blue tinge on the whole white light. It's quite weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your not alone,Ive noticed it a good bit lately too , especially noticeable with car going over ramps or on a less than smooth road, was convinced I was getting flashed by the guards after noticing it with a White Hyundai jeep behind me one day , wasn't wearing glasses and it's a 17 year old car ,

Interesting, I know I was experiencing chromatic aberration through the glasses, I could also get it to happen looking at an led scoreboard and moving my head left or right which would create a ghost image slightly offset.

Led headlights behind gave a slightly offset blue glow which was extremely off-putting.

Wonder if the polycarbonate headlight lens of the car behind is causing the same effect for some people at the right angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I saw this trending on RTE Radio 1...

Are you finding it increasingly difficult to drive at night? Motorists are increasingly complaining that modern #ledlights are blinding them. Motoring journalist @GerHerbert1

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your lights are not adjusted correctly..I had the same on the volvo. Turns out that yes both headlights were in fact 2 full rotation adjuster too high. The interior adjuster beside the wheel wasn't solving the issue . The headlights were too high in engine bay. Your getting flashed because they're actually too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's gaining traction,it's been popping up on UK car magazines socials asking the same thing,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
Advertisement