Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Fury changed his style when he moved to sugar hill as we know but was that to adapt to him getting older and slower or was that purely for wilder and then he preferred it, Chisora and Whyte fights didn’t really tell us much about him tbh because he beat both of them at ease and didn’t even get out of first gear.

what annoys me about fury is how he balloons up between fights and I always think how good he would be if he kept in reasonable shape but saying that he’s a world champion and Aj who never goes out of shape isn’t so I give up lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, but even strict boxing, Fury has 5 inches height and more length/reach. He could outbox Usyk mid to long range..

I think he will keep him at long range if he can, usyk has crazy speed and peppers the body and head with shots to confuse the opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yea but it would be foolish for him to come in super heavy because that makes it more difficult for him to adapt should that plan not be working. 10lbs lighter and he is much more mobile and bouncy

Yes. It’s not an exact science. Needs to be mobile. Can’t afford to be ponderous and sluggish.

Fury is a big big man. He has a window. Between 255 and 275 really and he’s at “fighting” weight. It’s really how he goes about using his weight and size.

Big question I feel is can he pin Usyk down enough to impose his size? I don’t think he can, for two reasons: 1, Usyk has great movement and stamina, and 2, Fury won’t be as quick and nimble dnd fleet-footed enough

• Advertisement

Just watched the Ngannou fight. Very poor from Fury moving so restrictedly. His jab was decent in the mid rounds, which saved him. Followed it up with the right pretty well. If Ngannou had a bit more leverage in his hooks Fury was in big trouble in the 8th. The elbow was scandlous. I’m not so sure it;s enough to quite say fury’s legs are gone. Ngannou is a far different prospect than Usyk. He was stronger than Fury and Fury was very wary of his KO power. However if Fury fought like that then I could see Usyk beating him.

Yea I reckon he’ll come in around 260 which is trim for him.

I’ve said a few times, a lot depends on the referee. Fury will maul and foul where he can.

Reports AJ-Francis a done deal

Silly fight but it’ll keep the whole thing warm. After the unification fight I can see the belts being broken up. That fight could even be a draw. That will give Joshua a chance to fight for a version against another contender rather than taking on a champion. If Usyk were to win convincingly then what does Fury do? He has more to lose, I feel. Usyk can only enhance what’s already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ruginator

Confirmed by Eddie Hearn on Twitter. Done deal. AJ v Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

A hypothetical question.

Do you think champions know they’ve lost a step when in camp? And if they do, do they still think they have enough to beat the challenger anyway or just turning up for the pay day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Ngannou can deffo put AJ to sleep "IF" He can land on him!

Aj will be going into this fight knowing nganou is no slouch so I expect it to be a totally one sided affair

terrible fight but the masters want to see it and they are paying the wages now so they will do as their told I guess

AJ, barring a KO, boxes the ears off Francis..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah that's why I don't mind this fight at all, as ultimately Francis brings much more to the table than Otto did a few weeks ago.

I suspect Fury took him lightly, but Francis was very impressive in that fight, he clearly has power and very comfortable with the Fury power.

I'm not suggesting he is a great boxer, but this isn't the foregone conclusion that some are suggesting.

The Saudi gig for big fights is getting really tiring now.. are we really that shallow as regards our sport, that what we only seem to look at is “money?” Surely these fights could be staged on a big scale, making big money in England…where there’s actual atmosphere, history and authenticity…

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's was very clear he wasn't in good shape even before the fight.

He needs a serious camp for the big one.

365 has it joshua 1/7 and Ngannou 2/9. Ngannou will soak up a fair bit of punishment and look extremely strong. He might get to scare joshua for some entertainment but I expect a one sided affair. Shrewd move by Joshua’s team to get in their next.

Wilder and Zhang is also on the card

Post edited by OmegaGene on

Francis strikes me as a very sturdy unit that will allow him take a great shot. I’d expect AJ to beat him up and maybe stop him on his feet

I assume 2/9 Francis is actually 9/2

FFS… hope Zhang knocks this prick clean out..

• Advertisement

Btw, what dates we looking at for this card?

9th of March

Wups yea I got that one the wrong way around. That’s my expectation as well. If Fury beats Usyk but has also lost his legs then that’s a huge equaliser in a potential future fight between the two. Fury not looking after himself will eventually bite him in the (huge) ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yea Aj just posted it’s the 8th of March 👍🏻

Has the makings of a brilliant card even if it will be spoilt to some extent by the audience aimlessly walking around or not taking their tickets. I’d imagine they’ll have the likes of Hrgovic, Agit maybe even Dubois or Anderson on the card again too. It’s the shop window. Has the Fury Usyk card been announced?

Nothing for that yet but that’s a blockbuster in itself, I reckon Parker will be on it because he’s still training

fabio wardley has just started training so I doubt he will make it but he barely trained for the last fight because of an operation

aj is 1/7 to beat ngannou

• Advertisement

Jesus its 6 weeks away and not a word about it. No announcement of an undercard, no talk of press conferences. This is the first undisputed since Lewis, we’re in the countdown and not a murmur about it. Ridiculous. I have no faith it’ll happen. Joshua talking about belts being freed up he may know that if this falls through then someone will be stripped. What a horrible ending that would be.

Advertisement