Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

In this article, Stephen Collinson wrote that high prices caused by the pandemic have a greater resonance with most voters than the matter of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The only response I can give you is that Trump and his allies seem to have scrambled the brains of enough GOP voters to prevent normalcy returning to that party anytime soon, with the willing assistance of enough greedy GOP politicians who now see his way as the best route to the seats of power in the swamp he promised to drain. His way of causing public outcry caused the present situation.

As I see it, the GOP had a chance to right the wrong Trump did at the time he did it in 2020 and they didn't make him pay for his direct assault on it, on the US and it's Constitution and way of life in the way the writers of it probably would have honourably done if they had been around in 2020.

It might be possible if those formerly in the OLD GOP who were expelled by Trump's pals were to start afresh with a new GOP and take the title back from the Trump clan and the RINO's and guide it and the US back on track away from Trump's venial version of the GOP.

This might sound unusual but, as it's from Trump's side it's possibly not. Trump's legal team have asked Judge Chutkan to hold Jack Smith in contempt of court after the special prosecutor [in their opinion] took steps to advance the case against Trump after a judge put the case on hold. The steps taken by Smith was the handing over to the defence thousands of pages of evidence and an exhibit list while the case was on pause. They claim Smith also filed a motion a week later after the handover of the evidence to them which “teems with partisan rhetoric" and “false claims.”.

I don't know whether they had originally asked for the handover of the prosecutors evidence and list from Smith in Judge Chutkan's court [as I understand is normal for the defence and the prosecution sides in cases] or were told by Smith in court conversations that he would do so. If they were aware, smoke is getting in peoples eyes.

The case involved seems to be the one where Smith was investigating Trump in respect to interference with the real 2020 election result so Trump could falsely claim to be the person elected to the presidency.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You can actually watch the GOP spines disintegrate in real time after the events of January 6th.

In the immediate aftermath they were all calling him out for his actions and/or inaction and some were doing so quite strenuously. Then as the days past and they realised that the GOP base (and money) weren't shifting away from Trump they all just slithered away and stopped saying anything bad about him. And after another few days the "it was Antifa" etc. disinformation campaign started up as they simply decided that they had to stay with Trump to stay on the gravy train.

Hung by their won petard, and rightfully so.

If Trump does get elected again [supposing that the USSC decides that section 3 of the 14th amendment doesn't apply to election-candidates to the office of the presidency - which in itself leaves the door open to any serving president to rebel directly and forcefully against the constitution and the US itself, knowing they can run again should they behave the way that Trump did], I expect most if not all of those sentenced to jail over their part in the Insurrection bid would expect to be pardoned by Trump.

It would certainly mean that those freed from prison would be able to seek election themselves to the presidency - something that should be impressed on the USSC [and on those GOP seated in Washington friendly with those on the USSC] - before it decides on the election issue, whether or not the freedom from prison was down to a pardon or completion of prison sentence.

If he did - on legal advice -pardon those convicted and/or on trial, I would not like to have been on the bench, prosecution or jury panel at any of the insurrectionists trials. If he didn't pardon them, presumably it would rebound on him for declining any clemency requests from those believers. IMO, it would certainly be a major error of judgement to do so to those in/of the GOP who supported him on the hill on 06/01/2020, and at all other times since then. I wouldn't like to be the Trump AG of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I wonder if they would tell the judges to make sure Trump did not get in simply to get a more compliant candidate instead and then act shocked and in horror over the whole thing. They where of course 110% behind Trump all the time, how dare they do this etc. while sniggering behind the back of it all as they get really what they want. It would be the tea party movement all over again basically.

They could take a page from Trump's rulebook and tell the USSC all manner of invented "facts" including what he plans to do with the USSC as a fixture when re-elected.

Something I had asked myself was the where-abouts of the USSC building in Washington. According to the net, it's located just one block from the Capitol Building in Washington. I don't know what body provides its security. I presume the judges there took due recognition of what actually happened so near their work-building in 2020.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The US Supreme Court said Friday it will review the Colorado Supreme Court’s unprecedented decision removing former President Donald Trump from that state’s ballot. The court scheduled oral arguments for February 8.

From CNN; that should give a ruling end of Feb or mid March I'd guess and will for sure make things interesting in the primary if he's ruled against (and depending on what they rule on if he lead or if it was an insurrection could imply other cases as well but I'm guessing they will narrow that part out of scope)...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The BBC assessment of possibilities is pretty fair.

Something to be careful of is if the cure is worse than the ailment.

There are a number of concerns if the Colorado ruling is allowed stand. That's not that the Colorado ruling was wrong, within the limits of State law there was little wrong with it.

The biggest and most obvious problem is that if the Feds (Be it Congress or SCOTUS, both have jurisdiction) don't come up with a national overview, then any State can come up with its own justification to deny a candidate eligibility for federal office. Imagine if the Florida legislature under DeSantis arbitrarily declared that Biden committed insurrection by rigging the election which was stolen from Trump. Probably quite legal under Florida state law. Or whatever mechanism would be used. It's only a finding, either in the FL legislature or the CO court. It's not a trial.

Eligibility for President is defined by the Feds. Must be 35. Must be a citizen. Must not be an insurrectionist. There is a federal definition of insurrection, but notably, even though Trump is under indictment by the Feds for his actions in the 2020 election (and over a hundred state and local charges, I believe), insurrection is not one of the charges. Could it be that the Feds don't think it counts? Should a State be able to make its own declaration of interpretation in such a case? Should a State be able to add additional requirements on top of federal requirements?

And, of course, there's the whole 'innocent until proven guilty in a court of law' and 'every person is entitled his day in court' bit. Congress may have a way of making a declaration (probably similar to impeachment). Certainly the federal courts may convict him if tried. But until then, is it morally justified to declare someone has committed a crime complete with legal ramifications without a trial?

It's why I agree with the various legal conclusions in the BBC article. The court will nix the Colorado ruling, but not by saying he didn't commit insurrection, or by saying he had Presidential immunity, or any other such thing, as those would have pretty significant knock-on effects of their own. Instead, simply by saying that Colorado overstepped its bounds, authority gets reserved to the Feds, Trump does not get 'cleared', and the precedential damage done is mitigated.

Except Trump was impeached by the congress for insurrection in 2021 with support of both parties (i.e. it was not only the democrats or republicans); hence the elected congress has concluded he did commit insurrection. The senate failed as "he was no longer the president" but that does not change the fact of the charge itself by the Senate and a majority there voted to convict.

• Advertisement

If that is accepted to be legally correct: He was tried for insurrection according to the constitution, found guilty in the house of Congress and let off in the Senate on a "loophole" basis that he was no longer the sitting president [an acceptance by the Upper House that he had lost the election] then maybe the USSC could use the houses votes to declare that he had been recognized by both houses to be an insurrectionist.

That being the cold hard fact, it could give the USSC the opportunity to say that both houses of congress had decided that Trump was an insurrectionist on the 06/01/2020 in line with the constitution and federal law, that there would be no need for a rehash of his impeachment trial [a double jeopardy] and the Colorado court merely recognized the fact that Trump had been found against in what counted as a constitutional court [both upper and lower houses in congress] in line with federal law.

The nub of the issue is the fact that Trump refuses to accept that he should as liable to the rule of US law as every other US citizen merely because it doesn't fit his personal opinion. He has had his day in court over his voluntary acts and deeds linked to the insurrection which he fomented for his personal benefit, not for the benefit of the constitution and other US citizens.

One other thing the USSC could discover is find that it did not, due to conflicting links to Trump or pre-existing commitments, have sufficient members to get a quorum to sit and decide if the Colorado court decision tallied with and was lawful within the wording and meaning of Section 3 of the 14 amendment, leaving the issue unresolved until some date in the future. 2030 sounds a nice round figure.

Edit: Hopefully the USSC could also provide a judgement [with or without request] on whether the office of the presidency is a public office and falls within the remit of section 3, amendment 14.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Also, the USSC could have a very short case.

First USCC judge - 'As I was appointed following being proposed by the then current President Trump, I shall recuse myself from this case/decision!'

Second and third USSC judge - 'For the same reason, I shall also recuse myself!'

Forth USSC judge. 'Mr/President Trump - did you state that you did not lose the Presidential election on various dates and in various courts that you intended to overturn the election results as declared by each state, according to the laws of each state?'

'Also, do you continue to declare that the vote was 'stolen'?'

'On Jan 6th 2020, did you call on your supporters to march on the Capitol, with the intention of preventing the signing into law the result of the election in favour of President Biden?'

Would Trump lie and accept he lost the election? And accept he had lied in all those cases, and in all those rallies?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

USSC doesn't hear evidence, it's rules on matters of law and the interpretation of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Ahhhh... If Carlsberg did Supreme courts...

Unfortunately, they don't and no justice will be recusing themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, there is the problem of a president allowed to pack the USSC.

As for justices recusing themselves, no previous case has involved the president that had proposed them or any previous justice, so they could recuse themselves.

Of course, they will not.

There will be submissions made to them and that will be the basis of the legal decision. There is plenty of grounds for educing Trumps involvement in the insurrection on the 6th Jan 2020.

If the USSC read and understand the section and amendment in the way the Colorado court read and understood it - that the presidency is a public office pursuant to the law applied to other public offices by way of election - then it should be an open and shut case.

If the USSC decides for Trump, they will in effect be saying the presidency is not a public office, similar to the ones listed in the section and amendment. They will have to issue a statement to that effect, for clarity on the law as it stands and for the future, maybe even ensure an amending to the section's wording to explicitly make it clear the presidency is exempt from sanction under the Insurrection section.

Ah, no, that's not how it works. The House functions in effect as a Grand Jury. It determines whether there is a reasonable fit for a charge to answer, much like the DPP will review a Garda file before moving to trial. The trial itself is at the Senate, and there was no conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So by that rationale, no sitting president has ever been impeached

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Three sitting presidents have been impeached. None have been convicted.

Is Nody correct in the post where the Senate didn't convict Trump on the basis that he was no longer president, that they took the convenient option of deciding against trying and convicting him on the impeachment charge as by that time he was no longer the sitting president - Time had run out for the impeachment charge similar to charges being legally time-barred in a statute of limitations way?

There would have been no point in the senate convicting him on the impeachment charge as he was no longer in office as president and no longer capable of misdemeanour in office ploy?

• Advertisement

On January 26, eight senators spoke out against impeachment. Senator James Lankford (R-OK) said "This is not a trial; this is political theater. You cannot remove someone from the office who is already out of office. In this trial, there is no current President, no Chief Justice, and no possibility someone could be removed from office because they are not in any office. In a moment when our nation needs to unite, this trial will only create even deeper divisions."[196] Senator Jim Inhofe (R-OK) tweeted "Given that the penalty for impeachment shall be removed from office, my reading of the Constitution leads me to believe that the Founders did not intend for us to impeach former federal officeholders. I agree with @RandPaul that it's not constitutional to try a former president."[197] Senator John Kennedy (R-LA) said "Today, I voted to affirm that these impeachment proceedings are unconstitutional. Based on the information I have right now, I voted today and will vote again later in the impeachment trial to dismiss the impeachment proceedings against former President Trump."[198] Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) tweeted "This impeachment is nothing more than a partisan exercise designed to further divide the country. Democrats claim to want to unify the country but impeaching a former president, a private citizen, is the antithesis of unity."[199] Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL) told reporters he has "deep reservations whether they should be trying him at all."[200] Senator Roy Blunt (R-MO) tweeted that "I believe the constitutional purpose for presidential impeachment is to remove a president from office, not to punish a person after they have left office."[201] Senator Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) said "My vote today to dismiss the article of impeachment is based on the fact that impeachment was designed to remove an officeholder from public office. The Constitution does not give Congress the power to impeach a private citizen. This charge is directed at an individual who no longer holds public office. I believe it is time we focus our attention and energies on the numerous challenges our country presently faces. Instead of taking a path of divisiveness, let us heed the call to unity that we have heard spoken so often over the past few weeks."[202] Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC) said "On January 6, I said voting to reject the states' electors was a dangerous precedent we should not set. Likewise, impeaching a former President who is now a private citizen would be equally unwise."

Mitch McConnell on the day of the vote:

January 6th was a disgrace. American citizens attacked their own government. They used terrorism to try to stop a specific piece of democratic business they did not like. Fellow Americans beat and bloodied our own police. They stormed the Senate floor. They tried to hunt down the Speaker of the House. They built a gallows and chanted about murdering the Vice President. They did this because they had been fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth – because he was angry he'd lost an election. Former President Trump's actions preceding the riot were a disgraceful dereliction of duty. The House accused the former President of, quote, 'incitement.' That is a specific term from the criminal law. Let me put that to the side for one moment and reiterate something I said weeks ago: There is no question that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of that day.

There was no question on Trump's guilt; the only question was if they could impeach someone who was no longer in office.

Missouri's Sec State, Jay Ashcroft, has put in his tuppence, threatening to remove Biden from that state's ballot papers if the USSC rules that Colorado's court is legally allowed to strike Trump from the Colorado ballot as the new legal standard would apply to Biden and Trump.

How the USSC could see Jay Ashcroft's statement other than a blackmailing of it to "vote in favour of Trump or else", a direct interference with the judicial system and a contempt of court, given how it has not even yet begun a sitting to decide if Colorado's order was legal.

I haven't looked into it, but the reasoning is irrelevant to the result for the purposes of the current series of court cases. He hasn't been convicted, that's as far as the legal reasoning needs to take into account. How important that fact is can certainly be weighed as more or less important in its deliberations, but I'd say it's a fairly significant factor if one wants to keep a Supreme Court Precedent where presumption of innocence is getting waived.

Ah. I see he has already taken the Florida example I mentioned above as a problem inherent with states making their own declarations of eligibility...

Fair enough, he wasn't convicted in the senate on the charge brought in the impeachment proceeding in the house. An actual decision by vote in the senate that he was not guilty of that charge would have been more valuable to Trump than a failure to provide either a guilty or a not guilty verdict.

The rights of the individual states to make their own decisions on whom to allow on their own ballot papers is a valuable right worth defending. Jay unfortunately missed the bus to stake his claim BEFORE the USSC decided to hear the suit placed by Trumps legal team on those of other states.

His decision to use a probable USSC ruling on the prior moves of other states to take Trump off their ballot paper seems risky, as Trump is the sole candidate named as an Insurrectionist intent on depriving congress of the lawful acceptance of the documents certifying the actual vote result of the US voters. His statement made it clear that he intends to use the USSC ruling on the removal of Trump's name from Colorado's ballot list ONLY IF the USSC agreed that Colorado's decision is legal and set what he described as a new standard. It seems that Jay is more interested in protesting a possible USSC ruling against Trump, not actually having as a motive the protection of the individual states rights to decide who's name goes on the ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It says nowhere that he needs to be convicted. It also states that providing comfort to those that did carry out insurrection is enough.

So this all hinges on whether the POTUS falls under the amendment. The conviction requirement is a made up piece, adding words to tje amendment that do not exist, to try to muddy the waters and attemp to give Trump a way out.

I agree that it is probably the spirit of the amendment, given the presumption of innocence, but words cannot simply to added to the amendment.

Just like Art 2, where the words are taken as they are written. Not in the context of today, of with understanding of what they probably meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If Clarence Thomas and the three Trump nominees all recuse themselves, it will go against Trump big time.

Clarence Thomas has already recused himself in a case involving the handing over of emails over the 'Steal'.

So precedent exists for SC Judges to recuse themselves.

Trump is playing the "patriot" card in Iowa, claiming the real insurrection is here and now down at the border where other governments have emptied their prisons and lunatic asylums and sent the inmates to the border while the people he had at his 2020 rally were patriotic and peaceful - peaceful and patriotic, tried and jailed in the US, were now hostages.

Mr Trump said in Iowa: “When you talk about insurrection, what they’re doing, that’s the real deal. That’s the real deal. Not patriotically and peacefully — peacefully and patriotically.” The mention of peaceful and patriotic is apparently from his speech to his 06/01/2020 rally before the peaceful rally stormed the Capitol building.

It doesn't really take a genius to see why he's using the word hostages to describe his jailed insurrectionist followers or where he lifted it from, nor at whom, beside Trump supporters, his remarks were aimed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,292 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The problem is not what he's saying, he'll say anything no matter how nonsensical. The issue is that there's millions who'll be happily led by the nose by him. I mean, you would have thought that after Jan 6th the scales would have fallen from America's eyes, as a whole. But here were are in 2024 and Trump is looking for another Presidential election. And there's actually a chance that he'll get in again.

If you read it in a comic book, you'd think it too far fetched.

Post edited by Tony EH on

Advertisement