Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave the World Behind

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The sense of foreboding was really well executed I thought, and if the climax hadn't flushed away that constant sense of mystery and impotence in the face of "something", maybe the resting consensus would be kinder. As the saying goes, a story can withstand a bad start, but it can't withstand a bad ending. The Friends ending probably only exacerbated that sense of wanting a "proper" ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I would but I'm outvoted in my family.

We all hated this movie but the others won't give up the stuff they love on Netflix which has the deepest catalogue. And I won't entice them with any other streamer because they are all equally guilty of extravagant follies. I don't mind the extravagance - that's a problem for their shareholders - but I do mind the folly. Was Prime's LoTR sequel the biggest folly of all?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get the complaints about the ending.

The reveal is there's a war on and I took that everybody was going to be be safe as all the characters where on their way to the house with the bunker where the daughter was who had a happy ending as she found Friends DVDs.

I don't see how that's inconclusive. Doesn't take much brainpower to work that out and it doesn't need to be shown.

If it was shown that they all arrived at the house, hugged each other and went down to the bunker and locked the door and found a tin opener would that have been better?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the problem for me was more that having gone to great lengths to sew disharmony and confusion through the opening acts, both manifest in the characters and the viewers who were both in the dark, then revealing exactly what it was felt like lack of faith in the audience.

I believe the book never tipped its hat about what was going on at all? I myself would have preferred had the film left things hanging on a sense of confusion, rather than the exposition from Mahershala Ali basically explaining the likely events.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seriously, how do you think that Roberts character was racist? Strange people turning up at her door late at night claiming to be the owners is definitely a situation that any person would be wary of and not welcoming so I don't see how that makes her racist. If the the father or daughter were white then her reaction would have been the exact same.

If you can't work out what the ending meant with the girl happily watching Friends and all the characters on the way to a house with a bunker with a huge door and full of food and home comforts then I think you just need everything explained to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the consensus that his explanation is in fact what's going on? Because I really didn't know how to interpret that. It seemed ridiculous and highly conspiratorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The problem for me with the attempts at foreboding is that they quickly became ridiculous and unsubtle.

You have to care about the people for a sense of foreboding to work and I really have to think hard to remember a film where I cared less about the characters.

At one point I was urging a stag to have a go just to get it over with 😁

Ridiculous film way too far up it's own sense of importance.

I don't think we can know it was true, but it lined up with events we saw enough that it could be inferred as what went down. Mahershala Ali's character wasn't really written as excessively paranoid up to that point, and the screen at the end seemed to also imply his talk of cultivating Civil War came to pass.

Several moments made it clear that Roberts' character was making assumptions based on race, and she admitted as much in the shed during the heart to heart with the daughter. It was a pretty heavily telegraphed bit of writing, the scene in the shed saying the quiet part loud.

It's interesting that you didn't pick up on something which seemed obvious to me, although not explicit because her character is too bourgeois for that. As pixelburp said, racism here is about making different assumptions based on race. It was plain that the Julia Roberts character was far more sceptical and mistrusting of the owners because they were black. She admitted as much later on. And the owner's daughter had no doubt about that.

I am mystified as to how this covert racism is related to all the bizarre events in the movie. Are we to think that America is being attacked because it is racist? Or that racism will prevent America uniting to defend itself? Is the little girl escaping into the whiter-than-white world of Friends because she feels threatened by black people?

Who knows? The makers of this nonsense care don't care what we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"No. 1 movie on Netflix with 41.7 million views. Anyone know what this thing cost? How many views before it is deemed a success?"

Don't forgot does of us that watch it by other means. That should be 41.7millions views on Netfliks + others.

As for the film a 4 out of 10 for me. Some parts were OK some parts utterly stupid and terrible but that ending was just utterly unforgivable the way they left us hanging like that. This would and could have been far better as a series instead of a film. A wasted opportunity but maybe someone will do it as that in 5 to 10 years time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Does Netflix claim 47m views?

Grain of salt - the company owns its own algrithms, is a black box, and it's impossible to argue with its numbers because the data is not public. Maybe 43 million people switched to Schitt's Creek after 5 mins, maybe not. We simply don't know.

Personally I liked the film for its sense of chaos - no one really knew what to believe, because the world was suddenly in the throes of an attack that simultaneously cut off all reliable and unreliable news sources. The woman screaming for help in Spanish, to the bewilderment of the Ethan Hawk character, summed it up well. Stuff is happening, we can't see it yet, don't understand it, and don't understand the warnings.

The 'Friends' ending escaped me, until I realised it was about 'endings', suggested above. Can't argue with that interpretation or its creativity.

I'd say it's a very watchable film dealing with hot button issues that don't imply any easy solutions. A complex story, in other words.

If it makes you think, it's worth the price of admission.

The last thing we know is she disappears during the catastrophes and settles down to watch the final episode of Friends while everyone goes berserk looking for her.

She may be found eventually and the whole cast could move to the house with a bunker and food stocks. Assuming her mother doesn’t have a breakdown before she is found or someone doesn’t simply strangle this selfish child or, for the first time in the whole movie, no bizarre calamities intervene.

And anyway that just postpones the evil day when the characters must deal with the destruction of their city/country/planet.

I know this sort of unresolved ending is beloved of art-house film-makers for weird philosophical reasons. That’s a major reason why their films are only shown in art-houses, don’t cost mega-millions and are not viewed by millions of subscribers who pay monthly subscriptions to entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lads, I think what you're all forgetting is that the book was even more ambiguous about what was happening than the film is. You're all clamouring for a neatly resolved little ending that never existed in the source material to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why do directors put animals in their films if they're going to look like ridiculous cartoons that immediately take you out of the film, those deer looked as bad as the hilarious crap in I Am Legend years ago.

I'd speculate it's not a choice as such: instead enforced by various Animal Welfare regulations - not to mention the potential chaos of trying to direct multiple wild animals - such that a CGI deer from the shelf of a FX studio easier in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All it made me think of was films that don’t treat the viewer as a sounding board for a right on lecture about the perils of how we live.

It’s trite nonsense that pretends that the fact none of the ridiculous story lines could possibly be resolved is some sort of profound obscure message you have to work out.

There is actually nothing to work out, just how much laughing did all involved do as they divided the spoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wouldnt have a problem with it so long as they were good but its always just horrific quality, Disney/Pixar would be embarrassed.

I suppose AI will sort it all out in a few years.

Imagine pitching this book to a real movie studio producer!

A bunch of mysterious/cranky characters, Julia Roberts as a misanthrope/racist, an endless succession of expensive disaster set-ups.

Then the punchline - "In the end, the kid gets to watch Friends"!

The only way to top that would be to say "And it was a finalist in the National Book Awards"

But I mean "Producer" in the traditional sense - someone whose job depended on people paying to see their movies, not one of these "Executive Producers" i.e. actors who want control of other people's money and "studios" which are flooded with Wall Street money looking for an income stream. They will spend mega-bucks on glossy, meaningless productions with big names to get the clicks from subscribers desperately searching for something fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Your version of the pitch is backwards. The pitch would’ve been “check out this brilliant, hugely successful book with a very contained set of locations that could easily be shot”. All the extraneous stuff will have come from Netflix needing to dumb things down to take a clever small story and provide it to a too-broad audience.

Finally watched it myself last night - this is one of my favourite books of the past few years, so was very wary of the movie, especially as a Netflix product rather than smaller indie production.

Given my worries, I actually got more out of this than most on here it seems. It largely caught the general mood and helpless uselessness of being in the situation.

Look, its not anywhere near as satisfying as the book (the chapters where Clay is lost, driving around actually made me feel like this guy was just gonna die out there simply for not realising his total reliance on gps), and it definitely gives us too much ‘apocalypse’ (there’s no tanker, no plane crashes, no leaflet drop etc in the book), but it holds enough of its essence in the character dynamics that I still found it worthwhile. And I quite liked the little thread of closure with ‘Friends’ - the book offers none at all, you simply leave the characters, entirely sure they’ll be dead before too long.

All it made me think of was films that don’t treat the viewer as a sounding board for a right on lecture about the perils of how we live.

I think there's a critical context here in that the film presented a uniquely American perspective of apocalyptic anxiety; one that simply doesn't exist here in EU or Ireland; not to the extent you see Stateside. Certainly I've seen a stronger reception from folks in the US compared with outside, and it's fair to say that culturally America's apocalypses seem more obsessed with the facade of their modern, switched-on living and the fragility of their own nation (especially these days with riots and cult movements), compared with European ones.

I thought they were fine when it was just the one feet - but once there was dozens of them, and "acting" it broke the spell. Again, the last act really whiffed it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This would make an interesting double bill with Take Shelter, a far superior film that explored anxieties about uncontrollable forces (including potentially apocalyptic ones) in the aftermath of the financial crisis. Unlike this film, it smartly doesn't try to explain the forces in question or reduce them to some cack-handed political commentary.

As I said before, I think Leave the World Behind is trying to be a dream logic type movie about bad omens, however it breaks the rules of such a film when it starts offering up explanations (such as cyber attacks etc) for what is happening. At that point it becomes a JJ Abrams mystery box type movie which the audience demands a satisfying answer to. I think Esmail's background in tv (Mr Robot) is the root of the problem here along with Netflix's own propensity of making movies that resemble tv pilots.

True. If there's any takeaway from this thread, it's that people should look at Take Shelter. A really fabulous film and one whose ending is a real big emotional swing that leaves more questions than it answers

I think the pitch would never get past

“check out this brilliant, hugely successful novel ...

When was the last blockbuster movie made from a recent novel? In the past, Hollywood dreamed of the Great American Novel but those days are "Gone With the Wind".

Books can still be made into movies, but not novels. Oppenheimer was based on "American Prometheus", but that was a biography. And "Killers of the Flower Moon" was also non-fiction. "Where the Crawdads Sing" made some money last year on a modest budget, despite negative reviews, but that was "counterprogramming".

Harry and Meghan bought the rights to a romance novel as part of their $100Million deal with Netflix. I rest my case 🤑

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Novels are made into great films all the time. Several interesting / successful films knocking around at the moment or arriving imminently are based on novels: The Zone of Interest, Poor Things, The Killer, Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret, Dune Part 2, All of Us Strangers, American Fiction, The Eight Mountains… to name but a few. Quite a diverse mix too, from arthouse titles to mainstream Hollywood films.

Meanwhile, the Hunger Games prequel did tidy business off the back of the latest novel from the same series (320 million but I never even gave it that). You got Twilight and 50 Shades, both did gangbusters even if the quality of both is of course debatable. Then there's minor successes like Gone Girl, spawning all those "Suburban Woman Mystery" film adaptations; or Fincher's other adaptation of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series.

And on Hunger Games, you had all the various YA knock offs sprung from it and Harry Potter before it (even if we're going back to 2007 for Healthy Hallows).

And that before you go into streaming and how many series are based off successful books - everything from The Expanse to Bodies to Slow Horses or Lessons in Chemistry, to name just four off the top of my head from recent memory (albeit Expanse finished up )

Like, it's a fairly robust, typical area for production and not really sure how one figures that the avenue is dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You could also add current popular hits Wonka and Boy and The Heron to the mix, but they’re non-traditional adaptations 😅

None of those are blockbuster movies, apart from Dune which was not a recent novel (60 years!).

Hunger Games and 50 Shades were blockbusters but they are not novels in the sense we were discussing i.e. literary works. By that standard, the Harry Potter books were the most successful novels in movie history.

You asked:

When was the last blockbuster movie made from a recent novel?

Quite a lot is the answer, don't shift the goalposts cos the novels don't match your personal standards. If you're aware of the 500 million worldwide Ulysses blockbuster from fadó by all means share 😂

Reverse the question: what's your idea of a novel from the last 10 years that fits your personal metric for "literary novel" that should be adapted? Cos not gonna list the dozens of Hollywood adaptations just so you go "naw doesn't count". Cos I can tell you, as someone who read (say) Jurassic Park, sometimes iconic adaptations were based on total shít. Sometimes the movie's still rubbish, but by and large there's a novel.

Christ, even Die Hard was based on a novel!

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You seem to be plucking some definition of ‘novel’ that I never intended or suggested. A novel by definition is simply any book with more than 40,000 words - which I’d say every book suggested is. (I’m also not at all sure I’d call the movie version an attempt at a ‘blockbuster’)

Leave the world behind was an award winning, bestselling book that was an obvious pickup to adapt.

• Advertisement

40 thousand, oof. Best I managed was 20k words before I gave up; that was during the NaNoWriMo initiative. So no matter how good, bad or mediocre a novel is I always retain a deep respect for anyone who can finish a novel in the first place. The respective quality is immaterial in some respects; doesn't matter if they're Steven King or EL James. It's hard fúcking work, and requires a lot of craft and determination.

I’m also not at all sure I’d call the movie version an attempt at a ‘blockbuster`

Well, exactly; "Blockbuster" is a very specific, heightened range of film even within mainstream cinema - further narrowing possible instances of big movies based on "literary work" or Very Important Novels. As I mentioned, Jurassic Park was pure airport thriller garbage, and Spielberg's film was about as Blockbuster as they come. It literally changed the Blockbuster in the first place. Lord of the Rings maybe, but the books are an exercise in patience TBH and debatably "good" novels. Famous yes, but not necessarily good.

Advertisement