Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

You misunderstand - There are plenty of 'asylum seekers' in south Dublin. As much if not more than other areas. But, as said, do go off on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Arson is arson. “It was just a bit of direct action” is not going to work as a defence in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If it's a council property and they're selling drugs, the council can evict them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No evidence of criminality among the asylum seekers : it's literally the far right on social media accusing them of all sorts before they even arrive at their accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

What about Ireland 2040 the idea that an extra million people will be living in Ireland. Was that figure also pulled out of someone's rectum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

To be honest, yes it was. We know the Irish government don't do that sort of long term planning. They let things happen and just blame others if it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Ireland gets all the good ones, the troublemakers head for Germany, France, Italy and Sweden - we are truly blessed, thank Allah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It’s a fine looking building in a lovely area. There must be serious money exchanging hands if it’s more lucrative for the owners to house asylum seekers than to turn it into luxury apartments in what is one of the most expensive areas of real estate in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

To be specific, no community has the power to veto anyone moving into their area : it has never happened in Ireland before now. The reason quite a few people end up with 'neighbours from hell' is precisely because of that lack of veto.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

I’m so disappointed in the D4 people. They have country let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

You keep saying this. And then someone points crime stats from Scandinavia or Germany. And you say, well maybe they do commit more crime but it’s only a small percentage of overall crime so why are you obsessing about it. Let’s have that conversation again!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

I am against asylum centres around Ireland.

I make an exception for the Dublin 4 postcode.

Let them come.

Let it be a massive number (more than 100 ideally)

Let them be all male.

Let them be unidentified and unidentifiable.

Let them arrive at 3am in busses.

And let it be known any opposition to them arriving is merely the work of knuckle dragging right wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

The next election will be won and lost on this issue, it is connected to housing as well as being an issue in its own right and will sway many seats in tight constituencies. National Media are not giving an accurate feeling of people's opinions on the ground as they fear the government will hit their finances which they largely control though licence fee. Decent people with concerns can vote in private in the ballot box and that's where the response will be seen. This happened in many other countries like Sweden where the national media played down issues on behalf of the government and EU and now it's out of the bag and causing huge problems. It may not be Sinn Fein who win these seats as they can't hide and will be forced to be politically correct. The door will be open to many new faces in the dail and they might not all be very nice people or what's needed. But then again what's new? I wish we could look after genuine asylum seekers who are fleeing but not those who are here for benifits only. We have been hugely let down by politicians both nationally and in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

So true. Maybe we can be world leaders in asylum? Could be bigger than IT, pharma, and agriculture. Only a few will benefit from it but these are the people who count.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ballshyballet

History looks at events very broadly.

Broadly speaking, therefore, the Irish government allowed mass migration, both during and causing multiple crises, to such an extent that it has resulted in Irish people burning buildings across the country in order to stop the flow.

It sounds like a chapter of medieval Europe. History is going to be extremely unkind to those who back this farce, and I doubt this even qualifies as the tip of the iceberg in terms of consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shameful excuses for burning down buildings and tents

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The only shame falls on those who created a situation so politically adrift from popular opinion that it results in such desperation.

Again, history deals in broad strokes, and the broad stroke is that irish people turned to burning buildings to stop the flow of unwanted migrants.

Iirc, some politician just recently said that we can expect an average of 15k refugees every year going forward.

Meanwhile there are some building plans afoot in dublin to build 40k homes with big cheers.

Well thats super. A few years worth of migrants to be housed. And then?

Anyone with a brain can see the disaster, now and ahead. The resistance and pushback is going to get many, many times worse, and history will explain it neatly in one sentence.

The shame is on those who support vigilante terrorist burning of buildings and tents.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Theirs Travellers at it all over the country but the council don’t evict them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoyDK

The burqa is mandatory for Wahabbi women. Wahabbism is one of the most strict and conservative forms of Islam. It strongly discourages (or even forbids) integration into other cultures.

I'm not sure of your intentions, but it is clear that you don't fully understand what you're advocating for.

Darren

No.

The shame falls entirely on those created and supported a situation so dire that it has resulted in acts of desperation.

What you want is for irish people to do nothing, politely and inconsequentially, while the government thunders ahead with mass migration that hardly anyone wants in Ireland, to suffer the laughably obvious results of overcrowding in silence.

You're complaining about the reaction, while entirely skipping the cause.

Just to add, if you or anyone else thinks that burning empty buildings is the height of shame, you haven't seen anything yet.

This situation is going to simmer and bubble ever more violently until it entirely blows.

As predictable as the sun coming up in the morning.

I'm not complaining about the reaction. I am condemning the reaction because it is vigilante terrorism. Its shameful that you won't condemn it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

I've noticed lately that even left-leaning sites like Reddit/Ireland now sometimes has threads with quite sophisticated arguments questioning immigration, and receiving significant amounts of up-votes.

In Argentina, Milei came to power recently by capturing votes of groups who would normally vote against someone like him. For instance young middle-class medical students, law students and other ambitious young people frustrated that so much taxed money is diverted to left-wing client groups - and in Argentina this includes new immigrants from Bolivia.

No. The shame falls entirely on those who created and supported this violently stupid situation.

Cause and effect.

I'm not going to criticise the ridiculously inevitable effects of an intolerable situation.

If some clown stocked a house with explosives, with faulty wiring and sparking switches everywhere, and then it blows up, I'm not going to bemoan the house exploding. I'm going to put the full weight of responsibility on the clown.

That the house blew up is simply an act of consequence, logical and predictable.

Exactly. You won't condemn vigilante terrorism. Says it all.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

The main 3 parties are pro-immigration, they will make some mealy mouthed promises like the conservatives did in the UK. There are no alternatives, the likes the national party are a joke and rightly so. The next election will be SF and whichever of the other two come in second place, and the burnings will continue because they don't care either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DoyDK

I feel a political swing to the right in Europe is unavoidable at this point. Destablization and citizen unrest, unfortunately, can result in implementation of more restrictive control measures across the entire populace.

So, effectively, you end up with two problems. The initial problem, and then the "solution" which is implemented to address that problem.

I'm not suggesting this is deliberate, but it's a likely scenario considering current events and trajectory across the continent. Not good for anyone (beyond those profiteering from all of this, of course).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement