Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The 12z ICON is synoptically perfect because it has retrogression of the high to Greenland and draws in a northeasterly as early as next Saturday. One of the most impressive runs of the last week. It's cleaner in how it draws in colder air next weekend.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've asked this question a few times here, but is there an intuitive way of understanding what the colour gradient in these charts means?

I know it's geopotential or air thickness maybe, but I have no intuition about what that means. It's not as simple as blue equals cold, right?

Apologies for being OT!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, provided we are not looking on as England gets snow while we are on the wrong side of marginal. Maybe that's his fear with that update as they do mention rain in the south of England. If they are getting rain it's more likely we would too. In that case it's a disappointing update. I'd prefer a two week bone dry cold spell over cold rain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh, as simple as that? Thank you! I was overthinking it 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Just for fun even though it’s 11 days out. Now if this was in a 72hr window I’d be very excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I was going to ask the same!

I see some charts that are showing yellow/green over Ireland instead of blue and folks seem to be happy with the snow potential of them. I know the main aim is to get a big high over Greenland but I am lost after that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Apparently there is a difference between a low with polar origins and a true polar low. The latter can't be modelled in advance, they develop in the flow. So when I said that last night there was a polar low incoming it seems i was wrong.

Clare (410ft asl)

Gfs very cold though it brings the cold in a little later than 6z. Cold sticks around longer than previous runs. UKMO cleaner evolution. Gem decent enough but far too much of the atlantic knocking on the door vibe about it at 240hrs.

I would be hoping the ECM might move more toward the ICON solution as it sometimes does. I'll be more confident when the ECM is producing successive and consistent output.

Honestly, we have been starved of charts like these during most winters and certainly in January. We are edging closer to a more reliable timeframe.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Clare (410ft asl)

Starts rolling out from 6pm and should be done by 7pm. The ensembles for it start running at 730 or so.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement

I associate them with Aidan Nulty. I am not sure if you know him , he was a forecaster for Met Eireann in the 80s and much of the 90s. Well anyway he was doing the forecast the times I remember us having polar lows. They can be fantastic as they can deliver heavy snow for several hours to the bulk of the country . In other scenarios some regions always miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Met eirrean suggesting some milder air pushing in after next weekend:/

Clare (410ft asl)

Gfs sets up that battleground scenario mentioned earlier.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

It's possible but the least likely outcome at this stage. They got Christmas spot on a week in advance so worth paying attention to. What will we do with all the toys in our pram if they are right....

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Was there one in late December 2000? I am sure there were others I am forgetting,but they are rare enough events.

I don't know the Seamus Miller fellow. Maybe he was before my time. Wasn't there a Paddy McHugh around that era too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That looks very much based on the +192hrs 00z ECM chart - and even on that less than ideal run cold air moved back down from the north on the next frame. I don’t see any other guidance showing that outcome. UK met seem more confident in a cold and snowy spell for the UK at least - I expect the ECM to look more like the UKMO/GEM/ICON this evening. We are moving in the right direction again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

850hpa is often around 1,500m above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Like the last few runs, the 12z GFS may well work out for us locally, it is definitely continuing the trend of weaker height rises over Greenland, any more watering dow of them and there will be no blocking to speak of.

That must be written by Gerry Murphy. You can expect that to change if the evening run shows the cold winning. I don't think they see the evening run much before we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement