Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That trend would tally with the UKMO long range updates. Heights weaken over Greenland thereby allowing the Atlantic to have more of an influence. It's just a question of whether we have enough cold air in situ to ward it off. Unfortunately in a lot of cases we go mild while parts of England gets buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

The M is for metres now,not miles 🤣

So basically the 850hpa level is about 600 metres above Lugnaquilla,or the mcgillycuddy reeks

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Met Eireann not wrong based on that ECM

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ECM still not good and GEM weak so I'm going to sit this rollercoaster out unless we eventually get cross model agreement to proper unstable cold across all models. Too many if's, buts and maybes.

*edit, despite a poorish GEM the ensemble is much better supporting more in the way of cold which is certainly promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

We've seen this week how fickle even near total cross model agreement can be. I suppose at least that still leaves hope now the outlook isn't great!

Time and time again we get this cross model signal for high latitude blocking, it lasts 36-48hrs and starts to fade. There must be some incomplete signal in the input data that leads them all down the amplification garden path from time to time.

If they ever fix it, the weather forums would go out of business 😅

• Advertisement

Maybe they do in fact have access to this information long before we do hence the update. I know things can still change, but once there is a trend for things to go pear shaped its not often they switch back to a colder outlook. I think I will join Gonzo on the bench. What's most disappointing is if we are back to wet weather again by next weekend when previously it looked like we may have a more prolonged dry spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Very apt username given the situation :)

It's been like this as long as I can remember. From memories of model watching going back 10+ years this hasn't changed at all. You'd think there would be incremental forecasting improvements in the meantime, and less of these cold weather mirages cropping up which never materialise. And yet we still get this multiple times every winter.

I know I poke fun at Gerry Murphy, but for the sake of balance and to give pros like him their due, when they see model output showing a Greenland high they probably use their intuition that a shortwave that wasn't initially picked up by the models will come along to scupper a cold spell. That's what happens time and time again, but I suppose the odd time it doesn't is what makes it so satisfying for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Yes, austrian ski town Mayrhofen, altitude 660m, yr has down for 13c next Saturday, Jan 13, so no cold coming from the east

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Met É don't predict beyond 5 days ever.

And they're absolutely right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

According to which bullshit online app?

Pay no attention to anything except the national weather services' forecasts up to +96 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

I always wondered if Met E viewed the ECM at same time as us but I think I have my answer now. They get it earlier hence the update few hours ago re possibly turning milder next weekend.

Be interesting to see if ECM improves and builds those heights over Greenland over next couple of days. And if it does, will the other models still be showing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

That text was written with this mornings ecm in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Better heights to GL from ECM mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Yr, the Norwegian crowd that is highly regarded - no need to be so insulting when everyone here is telling up pictures 10 days out

Clare (410ft asl)

@nacho libre @Gonzo You bought a non-refundable ticket for that rollercoaster. On you get!

Met Eireann said "Current indications suggest that next weekend, there may be a change with our weather becoming milder and with rain developing" and because they base their forecasts primarily off the ECMWF with observation of the UKMO, they would be somewhat correct with this wording, particularly for Friday eve into Saturday when it does got somewhat milder. The EPS runs off the 0Z and considering that was milder than the 12z, they may have based their forecast for next weekend off that.

MTC this morning referred to a 'weak signal' regarding a slow return to seasonable weather.

UKMO favours cold over mild, but has hinted at a potential battleground scenario.

RECENT FORECASTS: MTC called the Christmas weather at least 10 days in advance and was absolutely spot on with his mention of wind and rain. Met Eireann said the Christmas weather would be 'bland' about a week in advance but I wouldn't have thought over a week of strong winds and heavy rain would be 'bland'. That said, they rowed against 'forum' chatter of a cold Christmas. The UKMO never really fancied the idea of cold at Christmas although they did suggest a possible turn at the begging of the New Year.

NEXT WEEKEND AND MODEL OUTPUT: I would say we are in 50/50 territory regarding next weekend. It is not looking mild when you review all output, nor is it looking extremely cold. I do think that the trend towards a more westerly -NAO outlook (Atlantic driven weather patterns) from about 10-12 days time is becoming more likely based on output of the past 24-36 hours but the same output also indicates that a cold blast next weekend remains the form horse.

First of all, this evening's GEM goes cold for the first time in days. It was always the odd one out. I highlighted the 0c and -5c 850 and 2m lines. The 2m temps in particular are much lower in the daytime next weekend and into the following week.

The GEFS shows overall 850s and 2ms to be a tad milder next weekend in the 12z compared to the 00z but it is far from mild nor is there much precip on the cards as Met Éireann suggested.

The ECMWF 12z is a tad cooler, particularly re: 2m temps, for next weekend.

The UKMO 12z is colder than the 0z for next weekend.

The remainder of the models (NASA GEOS, KMA, CMA, ICON, CFS, NAVGEM, JMA) all show an incoming/in place northeasterly or northerly at the same timestamp of 1am next Sunday.

Finally, the NOAA CPC doesn't suggest a strong westerly influence for next weekend. This chart was produced today and is valid for next Sunday (14th) to the 20th.

For there to be a mild outcome next week, there will be an utter collapse of output over the next 24-48 hours. If that happens, then I am going to put in a FOI to the Department of Communications to find out what magnificent modelling system (other than Gerry Murphy) Met Éireann has at its disposal. By the way, ME are the pros and I place great faith in their forecasting so none of of any of this post is aimed at undermining that. It is purely a discussion piece and an attempt to get Gonzo and Nacho back on the rollercoaster!!!

In the meantime, we have the most fantastic dry, cold and clear winter weather to look forward to.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

A bit more informative from Helen Willetts just now on BBC news 24

She says they think the Atlantic will break through by the middle or end of next week to be followed by the real deal artic cold from the northeast next weekend once that front pulls away

Not strictly model chat I know but relevant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I feel tomorrow or Monday could be an important model watching day because either the ECM is going to fall back in line and rejoin the party or we will see more runs favoring mild.

I think a cold snap will at least happen 2 to 3 days but if we're lucky 4 to 6 days. As for snow we can't really guess that one until we have the cold spell in the reliable time frame to begin with.

As for the rest of January we will likely finish up fairly mild for the final week as the NAO/AO will be neutral or slightly positive by that stage so the Atlantic is likely to be back to end the month and to start February, after which another major attempt of cold could happen. The models continue to support a blocked February.

The NAO index can change again. This signal could be due to the mjo being stronger in phase 4 than anticipated which may cause blocking to wane. In any case if we do have an Arctic outbreak the NAO trending neutral could be an indicator of battle ground situations rather than a return to very mild weather .We haven't even firmed up on a snowy cold spell yet so there is no way of knowing what the end of January will be like. No doubt no matter how cold it gets that ec46 yesterday showing blocking for nigh on 5 weeks was deceptive. As even in the winters of 1963 and 1947 there were relaxations of cold .

Clare (410ft asl)

The GFS is much cleaner in its evolution up to 144hrs regarding next weekend's potential cold blast. The high tracks north and west toward Greenland and sort of gets boxed in between the Greenland high and lower pressure in the Atlantic allowing for a sweep of colder air from the northeast. This cold air hits Scotland by lunchtime Saturday which is a good 6-13hrs earlier than the 12z run. It reaches the north coast of Ulster around midnight.

Post 144hrs things get a little stickier. Low pressure to our southwest (most NNW of the Azores) is a little further north on this run which serves to amplify heights over the Iberian Peninsula meaning cold does reach all the way to our southern shores by Sunday night but holds there as it meets that shortwave to our southwest. At this point, the setup would be conducive to some streamer activity along the north and east coasts pushing further inland.

By Tuesday, there is enough of a punch in the colder airmass to eventually allow a further SSW push. We end up with a ENE or Easterly at that point. Beyond this, there is no point in analysing the output as even what precedes this point will chop and change in the coming days.

In simple terms, it turns much colder and potentially wintry next weekend into the beginning of the following week. I would argue it's the wintriest GFS op run to date. That is the op run. Ensembles will tell us where it sits in the overall scheme of things.

For posterity, I will leave this image of part of the PV on holiday in Europe

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement