Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well @freshpopcorn how many hours are we at in the countdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,494 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Brilliant 🤣

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'd agree with @Posy, Jan drags and is the bleakest month of the year for me. When it comes to May I don't think of Christmas at all. I love when the plants and flowers start to bloom and the days lengthen.

I start to get the blues around new years eve. I can't celebrate the end of Christmas, which is how I see it. I much prefer new years day. The extra bank holiday in feb is a welcome relief.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Honestly lads that bank holiday in Feb is a game changer. How the hell did we ever go from Jan to March 17th without a bank holiday is beyond me.

• Advertisement

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 30,494 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In my head I'm like.

February Bank Holiday.

Pancake Tuesday.

St.Patrick's Day.

Easter.

May Bank Holiday.

Eurovision.

June Bank Holiday.

August Bank Holiday.

Brown Thomas Christmas Shop.

I know I'm wishing my life away.

While there is an element of wishing my life away I do make sure to make the most of any time off work during the year. Making memories and enjoying the time.

Christmas is just the big one the season finale as such as most people are around and it’s a time of year rich in traditions and memories that get chatted about each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Back from a few days in Nantes for work. Although I didn't see much of the city or get time to take many photos, they seemed to have their decorations up and a lot of flats/houses had lights inside. The first thing I seen when leaving the airport was a tree and then when I got to the hotel the second photo is what greeted me. I was pleasantly surprised! Nantes from what I seen looked like a really nice place to spend a weekend break. 75 mins in the air as well so no bother at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Me three

Add July for my birthday it breaks up the month nicely

Oh July is a lovely time for your birthday. Nice half way to Christmas marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

The weather is glorious woke up to white roofs this morning so gorgeous to look out at and to take a walk in

Spent the day taking everything down, probably get everything up the weekend before if possible, I have everything labelled, labelling worked so well in 2023

Homemade meatballs for dinner made a big batch yesterday garlic bread handy after a day of putting Christmas away and cleaning

Heineken zero and lemsip shortly infront of the fire emptied some gift bags earlier found fruit pastilles and Lindt chocolates

just have to put away remaining Christmas clothing Christmas stockings going to put the Christmas story books with them too in a day or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Everything is down now bar the tree. All the decorations and clothes are in the spare room or on the floor in the attic and I'll somehow muster up the strength to pack it all away tomorrow.

I'm absolutely shattered. The three days back in work this week nearly killed me 😅

We have every trace of Christmas packed away, was nice to see 2 houses on our Road with all their lights still up and lit this evening though.

My last nod to the most wonderful time of the year was to crack open a couple of my Christmas ales as a direct 'no ta' to dry January!!

A Happy little Christmas to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Well said DvB, Happy little Christmas everyone.

Everything taken down and stored away in the attic for another year. To be fair it wasn't a massive ordeal as we have grown up children and they lent a hand but hate the day the decorations come down. Wife delighted of course "the house looks so big and clean", my answer to this was it looks sh**e total sh**e ):

Genuinely laughed out loud as I said almost word for word the same to my Mrs when she said something similar.

If I could click my fingers and go back 2 weeks I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Most of my decorations are boxed and in the attic now. Took longer than I thought, wrecked now! Just the tree to do tomorrow, glad the bulk of the work is done now at least.

I normally throw a €50 note in one of the boxes to order a Chinese with on decorating day- with the way the prices have gone this year though, I might need at least €70 this time. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

That's a great idea posy🙂

• Advertisement

Always loved that idea Posy, you're the only person I've ever heard do it and it's something id love to remember to do each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm ordering Indian for dinner tomorrow. I was asked a short time ago what I was cooking to which I replied "I'm throwing money at this particular problem. Not a chance in hell am I cooking tomorrow"

God same! I’d love to go back two weeks and do it all again but this time with the frosty cold weather and clear skies.

I would also make use of all the sleep from 2 weeks ago. 😂😂😃

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd rather jump forward 2 months and be gearing up for Easter! Yumm. 😋

Hear me out. We just back 2 weeks in time now but with the Easter eggs from the shops that are on the shelves already and have Easter eggs by the tree 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

If I did that I think my liver would just leave my body somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Took all my decorations down between yesterday and today. I still have a few Christmas tea towels and my favourite new Christmas hooded blanket to wash, so nothing has made it as far as the attic yet. Carting all the boxes up that ladder is my least favourite part. This was my Christmas Tree's 10th year and some of the branches are getting a bit thin. Might be time for a new one this year.

I love that idea Posy of putting money in one of the boxes for a Chinese next Christmas! Might just slip a €50 in and surprise myself next year!

Just the outdoor lights and wreath left for me to come down. The wreath will be brought in tonight before bed and the outdoor lights will be plugged out tonight but won’t be taking them down until Monday.

There is a serious whiff of Christmas is over in the air tonight and it almost feels like it should be Sunday night and Monday fear incoming 😂

My tree is 8 years old now and I really noticed ALOT more needles on the ground this year when packing it away. I’m hoping to get a few more years out of it. To allow wiggle room if the kids smash it up. So far it’s survived 2 dogs and a toddler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

We always have leave the Christmas tea towels out all year round, along with a few cups and we sneak in a candle or some other ornaments that we can get away with. There is two Merry Christmas cushions on the couch that I am going to see how long I can get away with having them there for.

Does anyone else keep Christmas items out all year?

P.S I also use a Christmas mug all year round for my tea in work. 😊

Advertisement