Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Interestingly, this write-up by CBS News is saying that it will be one of the questions that the SC considers, along with whether or not A14 applies to the President.

The case presents a number of novel questions that the high court will consider, including whether Jan. 6 was an insurrection and one Trump engaged in, as the Colorado courts concluded. The justices also are likely to weigh whether the former president and presidency are covered by Section 3.

I had assumed that the question to the SC was the same one about kicked up to the Colorado SC about eligibility, but I'll now need to double check that in case they're actually going to rule on more than that.

Still, if it is the question of eligibility, the effect would be the same regarding Donald Trump in that two findings need to be made to bar him from elections, i.e. that he is an insurrectionist and that insurrectionists who are POTUS are covered by the 14th Amendment. If either of these get struck down, then he stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭nachouser

Here are those words in context,

We have to be fair and say that Trump was just talking about trying to move past the hurt somehow, with another poor choice of words. He wasn't waving the families off with a sardonic smirk. He spends most of this clip talking about how horrible it is for the families and community. I don't know if he was genuinely sympathetic or not ( I would think not, personally), but when news outlets run with three words out of context, it's just fodder for Trump to call them *fake news* . Better to focus on the actual heinous things he's said in context, of which there are many examples and less on point-scoring gotchas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, we don't. He went on to bang about raising finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭amandstu

Donald Trump physically attacked a woman in the changing room of a department store.

While she struggled to repel his advances he put his hand between her legs and introduced a part of his body into her vagina

She could not say if the body part was his phallus or one of his fingers.

She was able to make her escape after a physical struggle.

So yes,he raped her (but not in your books ,clearly.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I don't think that poster wishes to engage in a real discussion tbh.

Post edited by eightieschewbaccy on

I wonder if someone who has been raped can take a case for defamation against someone who says they have not been raped?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The great communicator needs his words explained AGAIN.

That's because somebody took those words out of context in the first place and make more out of it, not that it wasn't a shít choice of words. The point about it is not giving Trump more ammo for his 'fake news' crusade because he uses that to shore up distrust of any negative story about him among his followers. Better to stick to the heinous things he's said that he can't play down like, for example, him joking about the assault on Paul Pelosi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd imagine you could in Ireland. Saying someone lied about being raped is a pretty big hit to their reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But where does that end? Almost everything can be argued about context.

He said those words, in the context of something that happened only recently. Why did he even mention it? What possible reason was it for?

They will never move on. They can't ever move on. They may put it to the back of their minds, but the loss of their child will always haunt them.

To even think that saying something like that is in any way appropriate it crazy.

I think this is just an example of how terrible a speaker he is and nothing more. He's trying (quite probably pretending) to care so I'm not sure he'd actively undermine that attempt on purpose. Reminds me of when he said "Big League" and everyone took it as "bigly". There's so much juicy scandal about the fucker I don't think we need to point out every ambiguous phrase he utters.

100%. But seems to me that as usual people are quick to give Trump the benefit. Why? He isn't new to this. He already was POTUS.

Before giving hm that benefit ask why that thought was even in his brain? Do you think he cares for the parents long term mental health and so us advising them to move on? This from a man that has still not got over losing an election over 3 years ago!

One of the reasons that Trump got to win was that he was excused everytime he made some stupid or crazy statement. He was excused, it wasn't what he meant, fake news etc.

No, he said it and he should be asked, nay demanded, that he explains what he meant. And why, given the grief of the parents, he didn't bother to choose his words more carefully.

This isn't the first time and yet it happens over and over again. He never bothers to learn as he doesn't have to as he is never held accountable. It is always ignored on the basis that he has done worse.

Do you think he cares for the parents long term mental health and so us advising them to move on? 

Hell no, I don't believe for a second he gives a flying **** about any of them, but I reckon he was trying to make it look like he did, which is why I don't think the words had any malevolent intent behind them.

He didn't choose his words more carefully because he doesn't choose his words. I think he knows the broad strokes of the things he wants to bitch about or address and goes into it with no real plan. He just **** out whatever inane ramblings come to him at the time, goes off on tangents, returns to the same points that are eating him up inside. I don't think any number of fuckups will teach him anything, he doesn't learn. I think it's a combination of arrogance and incompetence.

My fear is, every time people jump on the little things, because let's face it, this is a little thing for Trump, it gives his supporters something to point at and say "Look how the media/liberals/antifa or whoever are cherry picking things out of context and using them against him". Then they go on to ignore the fact that he's a rapist or tried to rig an election because they have their little example to help them cope. It's already happened in this thread.

One of the reasons that Trump got to win was that he was excused everytime he made some stupid or crazy statement. He was excused, it wasn't what he meant, fake news etc.

You're right, there were a lot of people reinterpreting his words to make them more palatable. I don't think people deep in the cult can have their minds changed at this stage, but anyone slightly on the fence needs to see that he's been given the benefit of the doubt on the small stuff and has been treated more than fairly and is still obviously a narcissistic, corrupt rapist who is unfit for any political office.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scottser

Ah, but is the presidency actually an office?

Eh? Eh?

I see your point but that is the approach that led us to this point. The MAGA members don't care what anyone says. They aren't suddenly going to review their support because people don't pick on Trump. Because even when it is warranted, such as Trump refusing to give back classified docs, they simply wave it away.

There is literally nothing Trump can do or say that they will feel is warranted. So following your argument we should never criticise anything as it only fuels their sense of victimhood.

I also don't agree that it wasn't malice. Because we have plenty of evidence that he lacks emphity. So I don't think it coming from a place where he is even considering them. He thinks people should stop talking about school shootings because he isn't affected and doesn't care. So I do believe he meant what he said. The parents need to get over it and move on because school shootings doesn't help him so it of no benefit.

Steve Bannon said, "Flood the zone with shít", and it's been a genius strategy. Evil, but genius nonetheless. By constantly having stories about what Trump has done or said, no matter how big or small, the public becomes kind of numb about him and nothing stays in the headlines for long because there's always a new story. Nothing is an outrage when everything is an outrage. The added genius of it is that the media outlets who are critical of Trump will merrily aid in this process because they want to sell papers and get clicks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He also had yet another go at John McCain about being captured and tortured.

It's all he has, rambling nonsense about windmills and magnets supported by vicious petty attacks on everyone that hasn't laid down at his feet and stayed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Excellent post, I fully agree.

I've said on here in the past that the 'He can't drink a glass of water', the 'he wears diapers' and the 'watch him walk up a ramp' comments are stupid, because, as he did by easily drinking a glass of water following the criticism, he can make people look silly. They remind me of the mindless 'Obama was wearing a tan suit' nonsense.

But as you say, these silly criticisms, when people flail around for anything at all to throw at him, are just grist for his persection mill, and make it easier for him and his supporter to dodge substantial criticisms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭maik3n

Regardless of what SCOTUS decides on the Colorado case, would there be scope perhaps, for other States to just keep kicking him off their ballots and delaying things.

A kind of ''death by a thousand cuts'' scenario, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think that if the Supreme Court reverses the Colorado decision, that'll be the end of that for keeping him off the ballot. Country-wide. That precedent will have been set and all the states will have to follow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Whatever you say about him, he doesn't disguise what he's going to do. It's more that a fair percentage of the American electorate are either loving it, or else too thick to realise it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If they go for the president not being an officer option and that the president is therfore god/emporer then there wouldn't be anything else other states could do.

But if they decide that Colorado made an error in their judgment the other states could just do things differently to meet those criteria.

Of course if they go for the not an officer option the very next thing to happen should be a new amendment to fix the wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I thought Haley's take on the civil war was deluded, but fúck me if Trump hasn't screamed "hold my beer"🤦

I'll let Lincoln's words of 1860 stand in rebuttal to what secession and the continuation of slavery would mean.

A house divided against itself, cannot stand."

I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free.

I do not expect the Union to be dissolved – I do not expect the house to fall – but I do expect it will cease to be divided.

It will become all one thing or all the other.

Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become lawful in all the States, old as well as new – North as well as South.

Can those states who decide that Trump should not be on the ballot follow Trump's playbook and send in their own slates of electors?

If that is a possibility then obviously the GOP will retaliate in the States it controls and the general election will have turned into a farce (or civil war)

If that is indeed a possible outcome then does the SCOTUS have to think of some way of averting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Why this guy is even still relevant let alone popular with the masses is baffling ... this is a guy who has caused so much trouble in the world when he was president and who has sided with almost every bad guy in the world during his time in office ... I would put some elements of the people who follow him on the same level as ISIS ... the type of lovelies who would shoot into crowds and drive vehicles into them as well ... and it is disturbing that swathes of Americans love this guy ...

I would vote for a decomposed dropping from a rabbit before I'd vote for Trump or any one like him ... he should not get any more than 1% of the vote if right was right ... when 50% of a country are willing to vote for this evil corrupt useless greedy incompetent warmongering walking pandemic waste of space it is very worrying ... it is even more worrying that he is running in the election of the most powerful nation on earth ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Boebert throw down in a restaurant Saturday. Classy all the way, ideal congressional material:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭randd1

Basically, a trailer trash, religious nut grandmother in a business suit pretending she's on Teen Mom.

America really is a weird country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Support of Trump goes beyong rational thought. If anyone actully took a moment to consider Trump and all of the reasons why not to vote for him, they never would give him the time of day, let along consider him for POTUS.

Trump support is not based on rational thought, it is based on mostly emotion. It is based on fear, greed, malice and possibly even jealousy towards a progressive Western World that is less inclined to include their narrow world-view as time moves on. Couple this with an educational system / environment that does little to encourage critical thought and religious extreemists who have gone so far as to cannonise Trump as God's chosen canditate; then you have the perfect soup of extreem stupid in the States that would vote for Trump

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement