Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭sk8board

“Model Y sales in Europe dropped in every quarter of 2023. It's unclear why this happened. Supply was not an issue.

• 73,386 in Q1 2023

• 65,511 in Q2 2023

• 62,399 in Q3 2023

• 53,663 in Q4 2023

Model Y supply was not an issue. Europe finished December with 33,000 Model Y in inventory. Giga Berlin stopped production for a week because of too much inventory.”

https://x.com/TroyTeslike/status/1743417925019619585?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Competition and interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Q4 is always lower total car sales than in Q1 in Europe. In Ireland the figures would be way more skewed again towards Q1 than those figures.

Funny enough, in China it's the other way around with Q4 traditionally being the best quarter. That's how BYD sold more EVs than Tesla (worldwide) for the first time in Q4, 2023. Overall for the year, Tesla was higher. 2024 could possibly be the first year that BYD wins, but it would be close. Obviously the average value of a BYD EV is far lower than a Tesla EV.

I think the point of Troy’s tweets are that there is a demand issue in Europe for the Y, they’ve produced too many and now have 30,000 in stock. Sales probably drop each quarter for the reasons you say, but not every country in Europe has the Irish ‘January’ situation

• Advertisement

You literally said

"...It's unclear why this happened. Supply was not an issue..."

It's not unclear.

You think there's a demand problem for the best selling car in Europe.

Be interesting to see how the shipping issue effect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

You must remember that unlike say Toyota where the RAV is only one of god knows how many vehicles, Tesla only has 4 (+1), but really only 2. Toyota don’t even market the bz4x and it is barely stocked and I doubt they care.

Tesla need the y to be the best selling car and need it to sell in volume because their range is so limited.

so, yes, even though the y may be the best selling car in the world, they are not selling as many as they thought. There is a demand issue.

Musk assumed that if the y was the same price as a RAV4 no one would buy a Rav. That isn’t happening.

What it means it's every car is selling less. So it's not outlier its literally the best selling car.

If we're are looking it at manufacturing point of view sweeping generalisations aren't that useful. Because VAG group is entirely different to Tesla is different Toyota.

By that I mean each manufacturer is very different position financially.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭OEP

Is there much of a difference between the MG4 and Cupra Born, enough to justify the price difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

by that logic Toyota have a demand issue for their many models then?

if the rav is the answer to everyone’s needs why isn’t that the best selling car

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MG is a very good EV but I’d have a Born over one any day of the week. What’s the price difference now after the Cupra price cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Ev fan

It depends what is important to you. I think the Born is much nicer inside and with general better quality materials. IMO the Cupra is likely to be more robust also with less wear and tear with ageing. Will be easier to trade as well I'd imagine. If its all about cost - then the MG4 probably wins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Born are about 35/36 now

Mg4 are about 29 aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

Born seems to be €36,695 with an option of either €2,000 off or 0% PCP in their sales event from 12th-20th advertised on their website. I'm now torn between that and a Model 3, which I've had my eye on for some time.

Asking prices for the Born's on DoneDeal have lots of catching up to do if they ever want to sell.

You're paying a slight premium for a Born. Arguably an MG is better bang for buck.

But things aren't about price. You might pay extra for a different color for example. Which makes no sense from purely practical point of view. .

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭crl84

I looked at both MG4 and Born (and ID3) early last year.

MG4 was 35k (Exclusive LR), Born was 43k at the time, don't remember the name of the spec but it was a slightly smaller 58kw battery IIRC.

I couldn't make any reasonable case for spending 8k more on the Born. Exclusive trim of MG4 has all the bells and whistles I need, 360 camera, electric heated seat, heated steering wheel, etc. Basically seemed to have all the same gadgets as the Born.

We have a Born in work now that I use a few times a month, and I can't see where the extra 8k goes tbh. Both cars even have some similar software "quirks"/irritants.

The ID3 was even less worth the difference imo.

1) Because they sell more than EVs

2) The RAV significantly outsells the Y in the US, even though they have a supply issue, and they have all the other nameplates too.

Not to detract from what Tesla achieved, and I do hope they survive this period. One has to worry about the lack of apparent product development and the messing that went on with that cyber truck.

What difference does it make if Toyota has 27 models? You're not comparing Toyota vs Tesla.

Simply looking at whats selling. Its nonsense argument that the best selling car is struggling to sell.

Though tbh I'm not sure what point some people are trying to make.

• Advertisement

The point is Tesla are struggling to shift the cars they are making; Toyota are not even though they sell 4x the number of cars, most of them clones of the same TNGA architecture.

The reason I am comparing the RAV to the Y is because the RAV plays highly on Elon Musks mind.

Tesla have a demand issue as do all ev makers, that’s why prices were reduced.

I was quoting the tweet.

the point that the tweeter was making (a massive Tesla fan), is that if theyre producing far more of a car than they are selling, and stock is piling up, and the Berlin factory stopped for a week, it’s a pretty obvious demand problem.

it doesn’t mean they can’t sell them at all - it just means the huge number of sales is not as huge.

being the biggest selling car is immaterial - tesla make 2 cars, and the Y outsells the 3 by about 2 or 3:1, so it can’t really afford have a demand problem in Europe ever

Luckily for Toyota, they stopped production a number of times in 2023 various reasons. Probably helped with over production issues. They've only just entered the BEV market. It's not a useful comparison at all.

Tesla is trying to maintain market share to maintain share price. So it's in a price war with the Chinese EVs. In dropping the prices as they did, to compete With China it's compressed the entire EV sector. Depressed it even.

Combined with depressed car sales (including ICE) all over due to economic conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There's not enough information on that post to deduce much. The European car market registration is loaded towards the front of the year, with the most registrations in March. The fact that Tesla's sales slide across the year is not that surprising in that context.

The other thing to consider is that the model y has a refresh incoming, so this will impact sales.

The only real problem that has been identified is the resultant excess inventory. If they are holding half a quarters worth of stock, there are obviously missed sales expectations. The interest rate environment has to have played a significant part in this, but you can't dismiss emergent fears around EVs: their range and long term value proposition as having not also played a part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

News to every country outside Ireland that sales peak early in the year - yes, March is a big month, but September also is, while most countries see a spike towards year end on stepped up incentive activity or expiring (EV) subsidies in recent years.

Its been reported that Tesla were chasing the same rate of sales growth. They didn't achieve it. But then many didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In Europe overall, March is the biggest month, then June, September. December also shows good numbers too.

For sure it seems they’ve the same over-production issues all car manufacturers have for EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

The interesting thing is that the OEMs have to sell the EVs (at least in Europe) due to legally binding emissions targets in 2025, so price cuts are coming, which will impact both residuals and ICE prices.

I saw VW cutting aggressively in France this week ahead of the e3008 and e-Scenic launches

• Advertisement

It's not just EVs...

While all the media is focused on EVs you can see in UK sales it's hitting UK market across ICE as well.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

Advertisement