Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ballshyballet

Yeah can't see any link there with the multiple crises at all.

I heard it said somewhere, something like "we've been put in competition with both the wealthiest people in the world for buying homes, and the poorest people in the world for social housing"

Not a terrible phrasing, and you could somewhat substitute housing for any other failing social factor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd suggest the burning of the hotel was even more intimidating (and perhaps also meant to fire a shot across the bows of anyone in the area who didn't have an issue with refugees and who disagreed with the protests).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The government should be supplying housing for those who cannot house themselves.

More and more social housing. That's the answer, not allowing private developers to supply housing, while the government pay for it.

I'd suggest to the two of you is that what we're witnessing in real time is the expected escalation of an untenable situation.

There'll be a lot more to add this before 2024 is up. Humble beginnings and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

The burning of the hotel was criminality. I don’t know how sending the heavies in to frighten the councillors family as a statement is a solution or appropriate.

• Advertisement

Yes, the government could have done that a long time ago.

But they wouldn't have to be doing that if they hadn't facilitated this situation of mass migration in the first place.

Taking a step back from the trees to see the forest, there are so many extra people in the country and more arriving, that an entire country's government is essentially going to war over small spaces in backyard villages. Think about what that means for a second, think about how truly and deeply fokked the situation is. Think about how long it would take to approach a normal housing situation if migration stopped today? 30 years? Intolerable.

Which naturally begs the question of their motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I fear you're right. But I hope not.

This country cannot afford to allow this chasm is between the ruling elite and the man on the streetto keep growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

some of these small towns would object to a noisy stag weekend.In what world do civil servants think a 100 male immigrants will be acceptable to the general populace of these sleepy towns.Its almost like a Frank Underwood ploy to get these countrywide refusals so the Government can say internationally sorry apologies we would love to help but theres no general support among our population for more Immigrants unless its for work postings,which is probably not too far from the truth.

This is no difficult puzzle.

The government have allowed the country to be so stuffed with mass migration that they are beginning to battle the local populations of small villages over single buildings.

We all know where this is headed, we all know its going to get worse, we all know its bad news.

But the scene has been set up over the course of a decade, a lot of people were too busy being a right-on dickhead and browbeating others to silence. Its getting eerily quiet now.

Just in time for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

Jumping the culture issues for a second,

Do they not understand the cost of these migrants going forward. If the money slows which the Sunday PT have forecast, We are going to have thousands of people totally reliant on the state with a dwindling economy and finance. Sounds like a Disaster in the making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

That's an interesting idea. Unlikely but very devious if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think we are at a crossroads on immigration. It's coming to a head and this has been building up for 20 years.

The problem in this country is not immigration, it's the type of immigration.

We should only be accepting immigrants who are skilled, can work, have their own means, and are beneficial to this country.

We need to change our policies so that we are ruthlessly selfish about who we let in to the state and we need to kick out the spongers, not politely request that they leave.

The party that promises a revolution in our immigration policies will do well at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was wrong for the Gardai to raid the home of those 2 FF councillors in Galway at 6am on a Saturday morning. Those antics really annoy me. Why arrive so early in the dark, weeks after the hotel fire? That's political policing pure and simple. It reminds me of the Paul Murphy arrest - 6am and 6 Gardai and media nearby. It would have been so much easier to just tap him on the shoulder later that day in the Dail. I don't like the man but that was also political policing from a very corrupt police force at the time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I'll always remember that shocking soundbite from the last recession, that the government had enough money to pay social welfare for two more weeks and that was the end.

Things change quickly. Frighteningly quickly.

They have set up the motherlode of disasters this time.

That's all to say that they haven't given an iota of thought to the future. People pressure = money for some today, let's just close our eyes about tomorrow.

As above, it's going to be a hell of a show. And the noticeable quietude of many tells just as much.

It seems the government has a certain proclivity for clandestine activities.

Moving migrants around under cover of darkness, raiding homes in twilight hours.

Maybe they're secret vampires?

Maybe not so secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Looks like the IND/Others are ready to make a move based on the public mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

So pleasing to see the worm has finally turned and the “ far right “ is now seen for what it really is , mothers , grandparents, normal people with common sense who are genuinely worried about men with no respect for our culture , beliefs , or way of life being dumped in places with no jobs , transport links or prospects . That can only end one way.

Our government has shown itself to be an absolute disgrace, slaves to the thirty pieces of silver from Europe . I never thought this country would genuinely turn into an us versus them situation with a ruling class with absolutely no interest or sense of responsibility to their country . A few months ago when I heard people call our leaders traitors I honestly thought it was a very harsh word and a step too far but now I believe it.

History will look on Varadkar, Martin , Ryan , O Gorman McEntee and the rest as absolute vermin that sold the future of the country down the river . We will see ghettos like the UK, France develop here over the next 20 years , nothing is surer and it’s because of these spineless clowns .

To the likes of Suvigirl, and her cheerleaders on here , name one country where this great experiment has worked and the eutopia exists ?

Mixing cultures , religions , ways of life together doesn’t work , especially when you prioritise economic tourists over your own people , it never has and it never will , anywhere , ever !

I'll admit that there is some form of satisfaction at comeuppance. Justifiable schadenfreude, if you like.

No different to watching a film and enjoying the baddies getting their due.

Specifically enjoying arson, no, not at all. A general feeling of righteousness rising to the fore, yes.

Why, are you singularly disgusted by arson alone? You seem hyper specific at seeking condemnation about arson without a hoot given for any of the causative situation.

Are you the baddie in this show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

The government should be supplying housing for those who cannot house themselves.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

If the present government could repeat history with their plantation there would have been no famine.

I think any party that taps in to the concerns across communities up and down the country - the people who don't openly protest but their worries are just beneath the surface - could do well. I think there is a big vote out there for immigration reform that no party is going after.

Agreed a lot of people fuming in private , will act with the ballot , if the right candidates show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You are the one so thrilled and delighted with glee at vigilante terrorism.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Then you're the one appalled and shocked and abhorred at the results of practically rogue governance.

Emotionally investing yourself in the bad guys is a surefire way to end up disappointed by the end of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Totally agree. The polling booth is the place where voters can eventually scream their opinion out loud by way of pen and paper.

I’m very interested in what the rural alliance will be saying at their launch. It’s also important that everybody that can vote does vote in all the elections over the next 2 years. If you know someone that’s meh about voting as they think it will change nothing then explain (but don’t talk down) to them how important it is this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

D4 residents concerned about safety for their visitors ....not 'far right' here not half 🤣

https://twitter.com/ThoughtsToby/status/1743633575654601055/photo/1

• Advertisement

The solicitors have had a busy few days no doubt.

I'd be surprised if this goes ahead in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement