Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'll give you the answer to that one Anna when you answer any of the questions put to you.

I have never attempted to dictate anything to anyone. If you dont want to get married then fine, but dont expect to be recognised in the same way as others who have made that commitment.

You'll have to explain to me how the simple act of being married is giving up on happiness though chief? Cant let you away with that one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean I m married but if I thought I couldn't promise a lifetime, I wouldn't have but I still would have believed in marriage as a concept.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this opinion, as long as you don't expect the same recognition as others who are planning on being together a lifetime. Sure not every marriage is going to go the distance, but by signing onto the legal agreement, you are stating that you at least plan to go the distance and accept the consequences (divorce) if you don't. There is nothing magical about it, its just that, like any legal contract, its a stronger commitment/agreement with it than without.

Would you buy a car from a dealer who offered a written guarantee or the one who wanted a much more casual "oh I'll look after you if something goes wrong" agreement? Which one would you feel is more committed to you as their customer?

Again, this isnt to say that no one should buy a car without a written guarantee or that its inherently "wrong" to do so, you just have to accept that its different than when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I would think bigamy will still be illegal, though I stand to be corrected. Where an issue will arise is with polyamory - where a group of people effectively live together in intimate relationships of some form but without marrying. Cohabitating with multiple partners. If cohabitation between two people is regarded as a durable relationship, I don't see how those in a polyamorous relationship could be denied the same. Can't see the Irish public buying this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

OK, that's fine - just listen to the views of the electorate when they cast their judgement on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

2024 prediction.

This will burn in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If you mean the referendum will fail I doubt it. A lot of the "families" I know had kids before they married. I also know plenty of couples with kids who aren't married. I doubt any of them will vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Op why not create a poll . Would be interesting to see

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No one cares- this is a chance to give the government and left wing establishment a drubbing. This is going to crash and burn- anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t have their finger on the pulse of the public mood. They’re beyond furious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Not everyone who wants to be legitimately recognised as a family are left wing. A lot of the ones I know would be seen as right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

They aren’t that furious with the government and left wing parties, not according to the polls anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd be surprised if it doesn't pass, the majority of people will have no idea of online discourse surrounding it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Maybe, I think media & peoples grasp of technology has moved on again since the last referendum. Neale Richmond(FG) did it no favours by linking it with immigration.

https://www.tiktok.com/@irishfirst7/video/7311638050017201440

Online discourse is more than Twitter, Facebook, forums.

"WhatsApp" groups is where most people over 50 will be thrashing this out and many will use their vote as a stick to give this Government a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭minimary

When does the information campaign start on the referendum? The chief exec of the Electorial Commission Art O'Leary previously said that an information campaign of 16 weeks is needed before any referendum, the vote is just over 8 weeks away and no information campaigns as far as I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

They don’t want to inform you that is the point. Vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Unbelievable comments from Roderick O'Gorman. Who is he to deny government funds to anyone who takes a different view to him on the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

At the risk of stating the obvious, he’s the current Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth. In that position he has the authority to decide how public funds are allocated and spent.

There’s no suggestion in the article you linked to though that he is suggesting denying public funding to anyone who takes a different view to him on the referendum. His comments are just pretty stupid in their own right, in that he has been given a good reason why NGOs who see themselves as progressive do not support the amendment - in their view it doesn’t go far enough.

Government have made a complete balls of it, and getting heavy-handed about anyone who feels the wording is so inadequate that they can’t support the amendment, is unlikely to do a Government who wants the referendums to pass, any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭minimary

"Responding, Mr O’Gorman said polygamous relationships would not be protected under the proposed changes.

“First of all, polygamous relationships have never been recognised under Irish law, and secondly because a polygamous relationship is not one that represents a fundamental group of society and it is not one that represents a moral institution in Irish law,” he added.

“And it is not one that represents as durable. The very clear policy intention of the government is a polygamous relationship … and I’ve heard the word throuples thrown around … that issue has come up in some of the debates.

“I want to be very clear, such relationships (throuples) are not covered within the concept that we are seeking.”

The General Scheme of the Thirty-Ninth Amendment of the Constitution Bill proposes to insert the words “whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships”."

Can anyone explain to me does this mean that a person is allowed only one durable relationship under the ammendment? If a man is married to a woman but doesn't live with her and then goes on to live with and have children with another woman, does he not have a durable relationship with the second woman, are those parents and children not a family under this new ammendment? What about if a man has 2 long term partners that he has children with provides for both and splits his time, which is the durable relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nothing that O'Gorman says in your quote sugests that a person can have only one durable relationship. The man in your example may have two durable relationships — but, I think the point is, they are two different relationships, so the two women in the case are in different relationships, and are not in a relationship with one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think I have that facility. It will be interesting to see how many people have had enough of these ridiculous stand-alone referendums wasting money. If ever there was a meaningless referendum to 'waste' your vote then this is surely it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chacha11

Removing sexist words in our constitution is a waste of time and money?

Not at all, it is very progressive.

Its embarrassing and backwards to have a "woman in the home" article in our constitution.

No other western civilization has that in their constitution.

It makes us look extremely backwards.

I don't know if you are aware of the international news reporting on this, go and look some of them up.

They are describing it as "shocking" that Ireland even still have this in our constitution in 2024.

Aside from that.

Taking gender out of it. It is hugely important for both genders that our constitution is revised. Our constitution was written last century under huge influence from the catholic church. It is completely outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Why shouldn't throuples count as durable? Wonder what taxAHcruel would say about that

As a woman myself, I totally disagree with you.

Why have gender in the statement at all. If women want to stay at home to look after the children that's fine. Also if men want to stay at home to look after the children thats also fine. You can't just put one gender in it.

Do you know what is being proposed? They want to amend it from this;

Article 41.2, which currently recognises that “by her life within the home, a woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved”, will be deleted.

To this:

It would then be replaced by: ‘The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.’

Secondly, the constitution was written nearly a hundred years ago at a time in Ireland when the catholic church was very badly abusing everyone, but it was especially abusing women. The catholic church heavily influenced Irelands constitution. The constitution has to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

All the women in my world are voting no as will I be and most of the men I know.

Mind you, those same women despise feminists and modern day feminism and what they have done to motherhood (ie chestfeeders, birthing persons etc, proper misogynist language ),

People/Politicians who cannot define what a woman/man or a father/mother is shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the constitution, they have been ideologically compromised!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Its embarrassing and backwards to have a "woman in the home" article in our constitution.

No other western civilization has that in their constitution.

It makes us look extremely backwards

And this is the "progressive" problem, everything is about international image; how we're perceived by fellow progressive nations.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

No.

International image is only to show us how behind the times we are. Look at any of the international articles on irelands "women in the home" article. They all call Ireland "old fashioned" "backwards".

A lot of articles say that "Ireland is finally freeing itself from the old Catholic grip".

It is important for us to have an international spotlight on us so we can see how truly backwards and lacking we are compared to other countries. They are shaming us into changing.

A woman in the home clause has no place in a modern civilizations constitution.

Aside from the international view on us. Changing the constitution is important internally in Ireland as it will have gender equality in irelands constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭suvigirl

All the women in my world, including me, will be voting yes.

Not sure how giving men, and unmarried families the same rights as women and married families is anything to do with feminism though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I don't think I've ever read a more dramatic post. You'd think that Ireland was a primitive hellhole simply because of this issue, which to many, is a very small issue. Your ideology would honestly make you jump from a roof if some "progressive" nation told you it would make Ireland just as progressive as them. It's fanatical, and drips of insecurity, which of course the Irish nation is full of.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

My post is not dramatic at all. I have said that many international news sites have on this issue, stated that Ireland is wrong to have this "women in the home" article in the constitution

What I said there is a simple fact that you can go and look at, by looking at those international news sites yourself.

I also said that having gender equality in a country's constitution is important. Do you disagree? Why?

You said "to many, it's a small issue". Do you speak for the whole of Ireland then? Because I hear a lot of people talking about this referendum, and to them it's not a small issue at all.

Advertisement