Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

at least they are looking into it. surely be to god some of the office space in dublin is fit for conversion. it'll be expensive alright but its better to see subsidies used on this instead of seeing decaying buildings scattered around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

Didn't they ban them in certain areas a few years ago. Or has this been implemented at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Let commercial property find its natural price floor, this may incentivise existing office space to move to new space. The space they vacate may be converted to residential as in many cases it was originally residential space.

Cheapest for the taxpayer, but government buddies may not make as much

alternatively just demolish and rebuild as apartments. id imagine that'd be the only option for most of these office buildings.

Why demolish state of the art assets, with foreign capital baring the risk of a downturn.

Drive up and down our city centres, full of solicitors, accountants, dentists, doctors, estate agents, financial advisors, banks etc

All could be moved to an office block and property freed up for residential conversion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Ultimately what does a conversion need in terms of resources compared to a new-build? Strip back to the basic shell then redo the insides most likely, but then it'll come back to much the same issues (or excuses) why new-build residential is not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats also an interesting one yeah. Plenty of middle class people only start working full time in Ireland after doing an undergrad + masters + traveling, so at 24/25 (or later). Versus lots of working class people who start at 17/18 when leaving school. Its not remotely fair to have the same retirement age for both given the almost decade difference. It should really be based on total number of years you've worked/paid contributions for, not an arbitrary calendar age.

Theres also the male/female lifespan issue - at our retirement age of 66 as it is currently a 66 year old woman can expect to live about 3 years longer than a 66 year old man. Thats a significant different in pension costs to the state. In a fair world that would also be addressed, and is also presumably open to a legal challenge.

All the evidence is our current government plans to ignore the issues (and just raise PRSI), and SF will be the same, though. They'll desperately avoid any difficult/unpopular political decisions. Which will most negatively effect young people trying to save to buy property, as they'll be hit by the extra taxes while already struggling hugely to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

The Georgian terraces in D2 should come first. Easiest to convert into apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Air B&B is good example of "Just because it makes money doesn't mean it should be done". A lot of the ills of the modern West have their roots in the ideology of the "bottom line". It it makes money, it creates growth, and if it adds to GDP, then it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It’s not cheapest for the tax payer….would be cheaper to build new A rated property.

• Advertisement

Plumbing just for one means you need to dig up floors which would be more complex by working around a shell (which in a lot of cases wouldn’t meet building standards for residential property. Then the shell wouldn’t have sufficient ventilation for apartments so would need to be altered. Much quicker and cheaper to demolish and build new.

Demolishing an A rated office block and rebuilding apartments at QUOTED apartment build costs for Dublin would be cheaper. Don't think so, looks like multiple children's hospital projects given the constraints

Would be a dream for underwater commercial developers, banks and investment funds who all seem to be represented by ex FFG politicians

A rated office blocks are in demand and more so in the future due to environment policies….just look at London and what is happening there. The vacant offices are old office blocks that don’t have green credentials….

we are not talking about some house in the a town that was being used by a solicitor/estate agent. We are talking about office blocks/industrial units being converted to residential housing

Ahh your against the proposal also

The vacant offices are old office blocks that don’t have green credentials…

What are the green credentials of leaving buildings go to waste. Convert the older ones to residential. As has been said most small scale offices are converted residential properties. O Connell street in Limerick being a good example

The tax office on the river bank is being demolished, many of the businesses on o Connell street could be accommodated in the tax office and the space there occupying revert back to residential

Did I say anywhere I am against the proposal? Just saying it’s cheaper to build new than convert to residential.

You talk about Limerick and unless I’m mistaken a lot of the properties/offices on o’connel’s Street used to be residential 100 years ago so could easily be converted as I said previously I’m not talking about converted houses…..I’m talking about purpose built office blocks and industrial sites.

As for Green credentials companies don’t want an old office because it will impact their goal of net zero policies. This is why A rated office space is heavily in demand and attracts a 30% premium over older offices that would cost a fortune to retrofit and make green. I’m not talking about some sole trader operating out of a some converted house…These are public listed companies that publish an environmental data along with their financials. For a listed company this can be as important as their profit because unless they meet these standards pension funds/investors won’t hold their shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭OEP

Why should it be time based? Those starting work at 24/25 might contribute a lot more over the course of their career

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not sure if the French system extends to pensions but the way their benefits in general are linked to a track record of PAYE sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Same as other EU countries. Pension is linked to the amount of contributions paid.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Well a lot of companies now sign their employees up for some sort of pension scheme. I have two of them, and the one from my current employer is very generous indeed. However, I think we need to be under no illusion that the none of us now in our 30s will be retiring in our 60s. The idea of retirement at 60, followed by three decades or so of drawing a pension is totally unsustainable...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is probably the best, and most balanced article I have read from someone who works on the ground in the provision of social and affordable housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

40+ years ago the average person that reached pension age at 65 lived mabe 6-10 years, now they live nearly 20 and within 20-30 years people will be living into there 90's.

Pay the OAP 20-30 years is not sustainable. The refusal to change the system will not effect me in my 60's now otvwill be your generation.

I know some trades that even after getting the OAP still work. I know a man in his mid 70's that drives a track machine 3 days a week a truck driver doing similar. A lad that was painting into his 70' before COVID. Know a former plaster that dose tiling a few days a week etc etc

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Male life expectancy is now the same as women and expected to go higher than them

Slava Ukrainii

We are continuously told here that we don't have the labour to build sufficient stock. In such an environment why would you demolish usable stock.

O connell street is the same as Georgian D2, in addition to the business I outlined there are 3 private educational facilities, taking 3 large buildings, the former home of Limerick city council. Many could be housed in the tax office that is scheduled for demolition. The tax office will be moved to Opera square which has been 30 years in planning and allowed the Georgian buildings in Arthur's quay/Patrick's street fall into Dereliction over that time

Great that plc's want net zero buildings and that so many were built. Let them off. Most office space is occupied by non plc companies. The greenest policy one could have is to let what you already have last as long as possible. The green policies we have are policed by government and finance, they don't make as much money from this simple green initiative, hence you don't hear it much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

ESG policies will be updated in the near future to penalise demolition & prioritise renovation - reflecting the carbon cost of an existing building etc.

Already see kites being flown on this one in the media, every few months a piece comes out on exactly this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do you think politicians should bar them from leaving?

Young people are prone to wondering, and wandering, particularly when they have nothing to tie them down.

do you think they should give them a reason to stay?

That means we’re entering a new normal of the viability of many private housing projects being controlled by the state investing billions to keep construction going. If that tap is turned off, it’s hard to see housing making financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Its worse than that. Its average PRSI payments over your working life. So if you got your first job at 16 you will actually be worse off when it comes to pension amount than if you got it at 25.

• Advertisement

So to summarise your proposal because it’s as clear and coherent as a Labour Party manifesto.

1). Force businesses out of offices which in a lot of cases they own the property so it can be converted to residential

2) move them and make them pay rent in the equivalent of a old soviet office block

3) move social housing tenants into residential housing on Limerick’s prime street.

Maybe we could compulsory purchase BT on graftons street and convert to residential…makes perfect sense to use one of the most expensive streets in Europe for social housing.

Advertisement