Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Tractors in Cold Weather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Good Battery and good connections. An isolation switch on the +ve wire to stop battery drain especially on older tractors which can often have a short or trickle drain. A battery that is getting drained or shorted won't last as long either

Don't waste money on those cheap unknown brand batteries they are a false economy. They just don't last and will fail after the second winter. They might be cheap but often they have low Cold Cranking amperage which is vital in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

Is the isolation switch better on the +ve or the -ve?? Does it make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

As a safety switch it is better on the -ve.

Reason being if a +ve lead breaks you can isolate battery from chassis. And if a -ve breaks it's not as important to isolate the chassis as it is already -ve (assuming -ve earth)

I've seen the +ve break away from the starter and strike the engine block, being able to quickly isolate the chassis saved a fire. Even with a switch on the Positive damage to the positive between battery and switch can never be isolated, so if you absolutely need to isolate the +ve keep the lead between battery and switch short as possible.

If parasitic draw is an issue with the tractor, finding the source would be far better than depending on an isolator switch. Common fault is a breakdown of diodes in the alternator and is safe enough, but other partial shorts may sooner or later become proper shorts and potential fires.

Thanks for that. My issue is that with the switch on the negative it means that the constant on wire to the radio for the preset station memory is also cut off.

If the switch was on the +ve I could run a small fused wire to the radio that wouldn’t be cut off with the switch.

If you need it on +ve, place switch as close as possible to battery with Shortest possible lead from battery to switch.

Shortest possible without snagging on anything obviously. Don't want vibrations to wear through it from rubbing on something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

we throw a smart charger on in frosty weather. Charges it and then drops down to maintenance charge.

new heater plug every two years or so.

clean quality connections are essential. All battery cables changed few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Ye need to work yer tractors harder, the ones here the engine oil never goes cold.

I'd rather a tractor that just starts to be honest, especially if cattle have to be fed before/after work in the dark. I bet there isn't a tractor starting issue described in this thread that couldn't be sorted to start on the button for under €200 regardless of the weather.

I started the 135 this morning to split some logs, it hadn't been started since November and didn't need charging/ jumping or even a battery maintainer, not bad for an almost 50 year old tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭50HX

Ah the bullet proof 135's prob the best tractor every made, had one here for years & the father sold it...such a versatile machine from log splitter to power washer to fertiliser spreader, roller, hayturner & a miser on fuel to boot......as you can tell I miss it😁

Never selling mine...

Not even if I give up farming, it's kept busy here just maintaining the garden during the warmer months.

• Advertisement

I stuck it on the +ve for no other reason than it was easiest to do. The one I used is on the battery itself so I think it should be ok.

That would be the definition of shortest lead possible between switch and battery 👍

The one in the picture is a -ve terminal though.

I think you are right, I should have put it on the -ve. Still it's working away and you know yourself there's two dozen other jobs to do before changing it

No doubt it works, but I bet it's a snug fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

That fisher price toy of a thing is best in the bin. Be a fine thing to have a spanner on hand every time to disconnect and reconnect a standard connection.

It works ok, idk about the spanner option but all I have to do is twist the green top to isolate the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Wouldn't consider a 135 the best tractor ever made, they are a harmless wee thing not fit to do much🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What would cause a paracitic draw from the battery . There’s one on my 885 and I can’t figure it out

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭50HX

Depending on your set up they are fit to do plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

IMO for a similar sized tractor a IH454 is a far superior tractor to a MF135.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had one but too flimsy. I found any pressure onto that cutoff switch from the battery lead was enough to twist the connection slightly and allow it to make connection live even when screw was loose. I had to completely remove screw and pull apart to be sure. I quickly got rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A selectamatic DB 880 will lose and find most in this segment / era imo. Horse of a tractor for their size.

Possibly not the best ever made, but that opinion could be relative enough especially if comparing against other size ranges. But not sure what "harmless wee thing not fit to do much" means. Do you mean compared to the 140hp loader tractor found on many yards today doing feck all else?

Even my harmless wee thing will earn her keep! 😁

Parts availability still give the 135 an edge, even today you could in theory build a complete one from new parts available on the shelf with multiple suppliers in Ireland. Not that they even require much maintenance to begin with.

Alternator's and Radios are common culprits (or anything with diodes that may have broken down), but a minor short anywhere could be to blame. Disconnect different parts of the loom on different nights may help narrow it down. I don't imagine there is much electronics in your 885, A short in wiring will usually lead to fuses blowing unless it is completing a circuit and doing something like keeping something energized such as keeping a solenoid closed.

But not sure what "harmless wee thing not fit to do much" means. Do you mean compared to the 140hp loader tractor found on many yards today doing feck all else?

No my comment was more comparing it to the likes of an MF165 or MF265, just as manoverable and far more capable for an 1100 major tank and agitator. Can be used on the log splitter as well.

Well that's just the same range of tractors, obviously the more powerful models can do heavier work.

We've had a 165, 178 and 185 here in the past. The 135 is still my favorite for smaller jobs and is far more maneuverable than any of the above and uses a fraction of the fuel for similar work. I think I've shown the 135 is good for more than just log splitting.

I do wish we'd held onto the 185 though, it was in great order and a capable machine except for the lack of 4WD.

I don’t think there’s a more photographed tractor in Ireland. True love ❤️

🎶

Why do birds suddenly appear

Every time you are near?

Just like me, they long to be

Close to you

Why do stars fall down from the sky

Every time you walk by?

Just like me, they long to be

Close to you

On the day that you were born the angels got together

And decided to create a dream come true

So they sprinkled moon dust in your hair of gold

And starlight in your eyes of blue

🎶🎶🎶

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭893bet

My 390 refused to start this morning. **** that I decided against the high speed starter earlier in the year.

• Advertisement

The lock screen picture on my phone is a picture of my wife driving the 135.

She commented one day on how I had a picture of her as the screensaver.

So I just replied of course honey it's a picture of the one I love..............

She wasn't too convinced by my answer 🤣

Advertisement