Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partners brother and sister in law and 3 children allocated a 4 bed home/four toilets.

Options
  • 06-01-2024 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

It a transfer, previous home 3 bed, 2 toilet's (main bathroom and toilet and sink, under stairs set up) that house was 79m²

New home, 4 bedroomed, 3 double and 1 single, two bathrooms are ensuites, I main bathroom with separate shower and bath, and downstairs bathroom leads off utility room, under the stairs has built in storage , with gap for a small window, this new house is 121m² it has a double drive good sized walled front garden with grass, cars can be driven into back yard, back garden is huge, there are 3 large sheds that the council left be, all have electricity, the property has both a modern Stanley range and stove in sitting room, the home is heated with the Stanley, the house was purchased privately in a estate that is roughly 30 years old, 47 houses in total, and my partners brother and his partner were allocated the House it was all news to us until Thursday, the children are two girls and one boy, 14, 11 and 6 respectively, in all honesty it doesn't really bother me, but has brought up a discussion essentially behind their backs, we've realised that guidelines for a four bed home is Lone Parent or Couple with 5 or more children, we've yet to find/figure out the circumstances why they were allocated, the children have no special needs, as stated above nobody within the family knew about them getting a new home, we didn't even know they sought a transfer, they have had the keys since before Xmas, when they rang us to visit their new home, we thought they bought a house, however it has bothered the locals, as it's a well known fact that a family of 7 have been seeking a transfer for a while themselves, it's caused a bit of a backlash, as the transfer occurred in the same town, I will admit that my partners brother and his partner are in receipt of disability allowance, both of which have no mobility issues, so it's not like they need big rooms, whereas the other family the husband works full-time, and wife part time at night, as I've stated it doesn't really bother me, but even I am of the opinion the other family should of got the house or another family who needed it, the family of seven were not offered the house, and haven't refused an offer, they haven't even been offered a new house, what might go against them though their eldest is 18 going in 19, and the second eldest is turning 17, Thier youngest is 10, the children are all girls.

This post is not an issue, it's just intended to show how housing bodies operate, quite unusually in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

No ur right, you don’t seem bothered about it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its disgusting really. But what can you do?

Take a leaf out of their book perhaps.

I know of a family given a new build 4 bed. The guts of 500k. 80 euro a week for life. Its absolutely wrong. No two ways about it. Working people commuting 3 hours a day paying 2000 euro a month in rent.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭hello2020

Really discouraging for working class who gets no pay increase or txa relief while watching others getting brand new house for free... Have a friend who got similar 4 bed brand new house while husband n wife r working and own two houses ( kids name) !!!

Very unfair n discouraging for working class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What I don't understand is why children of working parents are deemed by the state to be second class citizens.

Children of working parents it seems can be living 5 per bedroom if needs be yet those entitled to council housing can have a maximum of 2 to a room. If this is not achieved, it will probably make the evening news.

It's quite sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

It hasn't "really"bothered me, it's just that me, family and friends and the community are wondering why they were given a home, essentially beyond Thier needs, and as I stated another family had a need for a bigger house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭hello2020

At this point entire working group is treated second class as every incentive is given for not working...

kids are often questioning, r we poor when we try to save a bit despite having so called good job!

I've googled the house and it was on offer for excess of 250000k, I'm sure the council paid more, and everything in the house was upgraded, excluding the flooring and under the stairs storage, it was fully repainted internally, in their younger years they worked, until she found out they both had conditions that would qualify for DA in their own right respectively, and the children are classed as dependants, so they get money for them, along with fuel allowance and electricity allowance, amongst other payments, the crazy thing is that they could both work, within the allowed amount of time to, a d still keep benefits, they both drive 162 car's and not basic models either, it's better off to receive a social welfare payments instead of working

Post edited by iguy on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

When I was a kid there was more council housing but it was pretty basic.

3 bedrooms - one for parents, one for boys and one for girls.

I favour housing everyone but not in Rolls Royce homes.

Cheap and plentiful would be much better.

....and rents that reflect ability to pay without upper limits.

Totally agree, and understand what you mean, they pay 105 a week as they did with other house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭GSBellew

We seem to be heading into or perhaps are already in a very strange model of Communism where the least willing to work are looked after very well, whilst people with any sort of work ethic are screwed to the wall to pay for the "most vulnerable" in society whom are given more than a leg up, they are looked after over and beyond the means of those who are paying for them.

I'm not sure so far that the will is there to look for an adjustment in priorities yet, our protected classes hold too much of the bleeding heart populist vote so they will continue to live well.

The model is obviously completely unsustainable, eventually it will fail, why, because we are creating generations of disenchanted people who do not see the point in working, that decreases the available tax base to pay for the social housing, it is going to keep on spiralling downwards, less will be expected to pay more to fund more people, has to come to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

The two of them have disability allowance handy number indeed and now a massive practically free gaff for life.

Meanwhile the council is competing against the HARD WORKING TAXPAYERS who want to buy their own homes.

Country is taken for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Do you all gather together at street corners and "wonder" about it en masse? Maybe between ye all ye could come up with a new hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A 4 bed house wouldn't be suitable for a family of 7, so why would the council place them there?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

The point people are making is that for people not on the social housing list I.e. above thresholds for HAP or paying a mortgage, a four bed house for seven is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah a scrounging family if 7 should be given a 5 bed forever home. A rated with all the latest tech.

All the different fathers can stay over too then.

Unless they are willing to earn it the kids should be 3 to a bedroom.

Post edited by Gusser09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

A family of 7 - The 2 parents and 5 children? Why wouldn't 4 bedrooms be sufficient? Even if it meant 7 children I still think it would be sufficient. Who the hell has 7 children nowadays anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭Deeec

People on social welfare tend to have large families - the more the merrier for the social welfare and housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It'd be interesting to get good statistics but empirically I'd observe that families with more children fall into two main groups 1) the wealthy, where several children can be afforded, given good child care and a high standard of education - to carry on the family genes and 2) those who logically choose the social welfare/ state supports route, where again having several children opens up a decent income and standard of living - and carry on the family genes.

Those in the middle have much smaller families, if any. I'd predict the number of childless couples will increase for various reasons, but a driver is the cost of rentals and housing which delay having children to a point where it's harder to conceive etc.

Great wee society we're creating.

And a couple of fake disabilites thrown in for good measure.

• Advertisement

Yes five children, and mother and father, seven in the household altogether, also I believe because both of them work they pay a damn sight more than my partners brother, etc, they never even intended on having 5 children, the youngest 2 children were accidental, as contraceptive methods failed.

The guidelines for a four bed home is Lone Parent or Couple with 5 or more children, the guidelines for a three bed home is Lone Parent or couple with 3 or more children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Reading threads like this one are not good for my blood pressure.

Lol, nope once all immediate family knew, they stupidly took photos of the house and it's surroundings and shared it on social media, within the family we've been talking about the whole situation, etc,

regards the other family, as far as I know, none of them receive any social welfare supports, as previous posters have mentioned that the working class are put after those who receive supports from the social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

It sounds like they’ve been given accommodation over and above their actual needs which is understandably annoying to most people working and paying a mortgage.

Really though, particularly for anyone who has purchased in the last few years, it’s hard not to feel at least slightly aggrieved seeing anyone offered council accommodation at an equivalent or higher standard than your own.

Same applies to renters forking out 2k a month to live next to people availing of HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The ADHD card in particular, means 1 bedroom per child required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Quitelife

County Councils are buying up houses all over the country for people who won’t work

Unless you’ve a very good job you’d definitely be as well off having a large family , not working and get your name on the council waiting list as soon as you find a partner . Get the HAP until the Council get you a house . You get a lot more time with your children as well , collect and drop your children from school unlike those silly working parents!

Advertisement